Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    SO one time I wore a HRM during a full non active 24 hours that shows how many calories you burn. It said I was burning over 3000 calories just for being alive. I threw that thing away so quick after that.

That's not how you use it. It isn't made to be worn 24 hours.

Well I trained long enough to know my difference in intensity levels.

The heck does that have to do with wearing an HRM for 24 hours?

Anyone who knows anything about HRM's knows that the calorie readout is only good for when you are doing a consistent, steady-state exercise in the aerobic heart rate zone. Once you get out of that, the accuracy of the calorie burn becomes wildly inaccurate.

Your posts in this thread have so much "WTF!?" I'm pretty sure you're just trolling.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I spend 2 hours at the gym and burn about 700 calories on a good day so if you spend a lot of time working out I am sure it's possible but you'll be exhausted!
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options

Most people who do that hold the bar though, so you can remove 20% of the burn easily.

I did 9% at 3.5mph without holding to anything and was completely beat after an hour. Not sure what my burn was but the treadmill said 500 calories, so probably less. Can't even imagine doing that for over 2 hours to burn 1000 calories... just nope. I haven't even been able to do 9% without having my calves screaming at me since... but I'm not giving up!

I visited a lot of fitness sites last year and they all said "don't hold the rails", so I make sure not to and just get the best workout I can even at my slow pace of 3 mph.

You can do it! It took me some time to walk at 3 mph on the treadmill period...

But yeah, anyway, tiresome as I said before and it is better to just watch your diet for weight loss.
  • heathbilly
    heathbilly Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    There are exercises that help you achieve this goal. I have been burning 1000 a day. Run 2 miles at a 9 min pace as your warm up = 250 calories according to my chest strap HR monitor. Then I do my hour and change workout at the gym. This workout should include rope training (burns a lot of calories) and kettle bell swings (300 - also burns a lot of calories) avg 650 calories burned on this workout, then finish with a 20 min elliptical session. 1000 calories burned. Will take you about 2 hours.
  • heathbilly
    Options
    pbgqx38tz9rh.png

I ran 13 miles that Saturday.. Training for a half marathon. I still managed to put on like 3 pounds.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    heathbilly wrote: »
    There are exercises that help you achieve this goal. I have been burning 1000 a day. Run 2 miles at a 9 min pace as your warm up = 250 calories according to my chest strap HR monitor. Then I do my hour and change workout at the gym. This workout should include rope training (burns a lot of calories) and kettle bell swings (300 - also burns a lot of calories) avg 650 calories burned on this workout, then finish with a 20 min elliptical session. 1000 calories burned. Will take you about 2 hours.

It's unlikely you're burning that many calories doing that workout. It's doubly unlikely that a woman with OP's stats would burn anywhere near that many. Nor would it be realistic for her to try.
  • heathbilly
    Options
    So question; a 20 minute elliptical workout at a fast pace, avg 136 bpm does not burn 250 calories?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    So question; a 20 minute elliptical workout at a fast pace, avg 136 bpm does not burn 250 calories?

Depends on your height, weight, age and personal stats.

Elliptical machines actually burn far fewer calories than most people think they do, though.
  • alieana008
    alieana008 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You COULD burn 1000 calories in a day, especially if you split it up throughout the day. But quite frankly its unrealistic to think that anybody, even someone very fit, could maintain it on a regular basis. The body requires rest to prevent injury and rebuild.

That being said, you burn more calories everyday by doing strength training (instead of cardio), as you continue to burn additional calories every day for the following 2-4 days while your muscles are rebuilding. Though cardio is still highly recommended as a way of burning calories, building endurance, working other muscles, and resting worked muscles.

Focus on your diet first. Maintain a minimum of 1,200 calories a day (required for bodily function) from a variety of well rounded food groups.

Then, workout 5-6 days a week (at least 1 day of rest), alternating between strength training and cardio, at a fairly high intensity to maximize overall calorie burn (ex: HIIT).

"Following a healthy diet is imperative to keep you from gaining weight, but to truly shed the pounds and shred your physique, a smart, powerful fitness regimen is equally important."
    -Jillian Michaels
  • heathbilly
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Elliptical machines actually burn far fewer calories than most people think they do, though.

sure, but I am using endomondo with my height weight + a chest heart rate monitor, shouldn't that be accurate? I have tested the accuracy of the HR monitor also, and it is spot on.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

That seems unlikely.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

That seems unlikely.

Agreed...probably about 1/3-1/2 that.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

sure, but I am using endomondo with my height weight + a chest heart rate monitor, shouldn't that be accurate? I have tested the accuracy of the HR monitor also, and it is spot on.

Spot on compared to what? Heart beats don't translate directly into calories burned. What HRMs can do, however, is measure the intensity of your workout and then use that to determine which intensity to use when using the activity lookup tables that everyone uses.
  • heathbilly
    Options
    i meant it was calculating the Heart rate correctly.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Burning 1000 calories is very hard. For example, today I did 3 hour brick workout (1 hour swim, 2 hour cycle) and my hrm said I didn't hit 1000 calories though I was busting my butt (though I do only weigh 123). Don't set burning 1000 calories as your goal.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

That would be a high burn for me ...I mentioned before at 5'8, 160lbs and HR over 150 I get 100 cals for 14 mins intense effort at high resistance

For me that would be an impossible burn

I still want to know how the OP can do a 1000 calorie workout when signed off sick?
  • bethany_h_xx
    bethany_h_xx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That would be a high burn for me ...I mentioned before at 5'8, 160lbs and HR over 150 I get 100 cals for 14 mins intense effort at high resistance

I still want to know how the OP can do a 1000 calorie workout when signed off sick?
    Not all sicknesses involve your physical health. Don't be so rude.

And I am 5 foot 2 not 3 I wrote 3 by mistake.

Ok so if your all saying 1000 calories is too much to burn but the gym equipment is wrong anyway and I burn half that then if I still burn 1000 going off the gym equipment then that should equal 500 calories burned. Done.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Not all sicknesses involve your physical health.

I believe we've found the crux of the issue. It sounds like you may need to not worry about exercise and losing weight right now, and focus on getting whatever help you need.

• heathbilly
    Options
    Ok.. so I went on the runners world calorie burn calculator and got this:
    Nice work! You burned 1,622 calories.. Check out the table below for your calorie burn rates at this pace too.

Distance:
    13 miles
    Duration:
    02:00:00
    Pace:
    9:14 / mile
    Calories Burned:
    Calorie Burn Rates:
    124.78 / mile
    811.1 / hour
    13.52/ minute

same distance, but calculated by my HR monitor with endomondo is 1944. I can see the extra 300 calories burned from going up hills and terrain.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Not all sicknesses involve your physical health. Don't be so rude.

And I am 5 foot 2 not 3 I wrote 3 by mistake.

Ok so if your all saying 1000 calories is too much to burn but the gym equipment is wrong anyway and I burn half that then if I still burn 1000 going off the gym equipment then that should equal 500 calories burned. Done.

It's not rude, it's a perfectly obvious question based on part information you put out there
    TR0berts wrote: »

Not all sicknesses involve your physical health.

I believe we've found the crux of the issue. It sounds like you may need to not worry about exercise and losing weight right now, and focus on getting whatever help you need.

And absolutely ..although exercise can be intensely beneficial it probably shouldn't include the pressure of a calorie count for weight loss