Binge eating... How to recover?!

Options
nm212
nm212 Posts: 570 Member
edited May 2015 in Motivation and Support
I had a night of emotional, binge eating last night. How can I recover from this without gaining weight? Is it possible to still lose weight after this? I logged but probably didn't even log as much as I ate... Was an estimate. Although I did throw half of it out when I kept eating after I was full! Should I cut carbs to make up for it? I'm worried even if I workout like crazy, that I still won't lose after this. Worst part is that now I am craving pizza! I can't do it!!!! I had an uncontrollable craving for pad thai last night. This is too much!!!

Replies

• jms870815
    jms870815 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You need to relax and not take it out on yourself. 1 night isn't going to make you gain an obscene amount of weight. Today is a new day.
    Drink water, go for a walk. Don't stress about your cravings. The more you stress about them and tell yourself that you can't have them, the more you'll want them.
    You CAN do this.

Just remember, last night is in the past.. it was one night in the grand scheme of things. Leave it in the past. Work on a better day today.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No sense punishing yourself for this. Just pick yourself back up and move on. Try to identify what triggers you to binge so you can work to prevent them in the future.

Are you craving pizza now because you are starving yourself to make up for last night? Eat something filling and healthy.

Cardio and yoga really helps me with the emotional factors that trigger binges.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sorry to be brutally honest here, but you are overreacting. You would have to eat 3500 calories to gain a pound. Maybe you did, but most likely you did not. I really don't understand how you could even think that you won't be able to lose weight "after this". You don't need to make up for it. Just dust yourself off and get back to logging. As far as cravings go: We all have them, and we all give in. It's a matter of having stuff in moderation. You can fit whatever you crave into your daily calories (just look at my diary, I have a little bit of chocolate or something almost every day). So, don't panic, this is not the end of the world (or your weight loss for that matter) :)
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    jms870815 wrote: »
    You need to relax and not take it out on yourself. 1 night isn't going to make you gain an obscene amount of weight. Today is a new day.
    Drink water, go for a walk. Don't stress about your cravings. The more you stress about them and tell yourself that you can't have them, the more you'll want them.
    You CAN do this.

Just remember, last night is in the past.. it was one night in the grand scheme of things. Leave it in the past. Work on a better day today.

This! Be proud of yourself that you tried to log (even though it was a rough estimate) because that shows you didn't just give up. Now, just take it one moment at a time and start fresh today!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options

You're not going to gain a sustainable amount of weight if you get back on track today. You would have to eat 3500 calories above your maintenance calories to gain even one pound that isn't water weight. It happened, you can't change that. Props to you for logging most of it. Just get back into your routine! It happens to all of us.

Why can't you have pad thai and pizza?? You should examine why you had this binge. Was it because you were being too restrictive with food? Too many changes too fast? Did you miss foods like pad thai and pizza? The key is to making this work for you, for life. If you love certain foods, you should have them! Just make small changes, like having two pieces of pizza instead of five, and enjoy every minute of how good they really are, rather than inhaling several slices and barely tasting anything.
    If you ate a lot because of stress, finding a better way of dealing with stress will serve you well in the long run. I hope this helps!
  • nm212
    Options
    Thanks. It just took me forever to lose even 1/2 a pound! So, I don't want to go backwards.
  • farmer50340
    farmer50340 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This happens to me occasionally, too. I find that I just get back on track the next day. One day will not ruin your weight loss journey.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    IMO you really have to change the way that you think about it. I used to think if I binge ate that I ruined my diet, then I would just quit completely and give up. That is why I had to restart again but this time I have a different attitude. "Messing up" one time won't make you gain a ton of weight. All you can do is put it in the past and make better choices the next time you eat. Every day is a new day. Losing weight and being happy with yourself is much better than any happiness you may get momentarily from food. It takes awhile but changing your mindset will help greatly.
  • kgracesch
    kgracesch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    No sense punishing yourself for this. Just pick yourself back up and move on. Try to identify what triggers you to binge so you can work to prevent them in the future.

Are you craving pizza now because you are starving yourself to make up for last night? Eat something filling and healthy.

I agree with Kshama. It would help to look at the emotional triggers and find some mental balance. Who doesn't eat too much sometimes? I know I do! I used to beat myself up but the more I acknowledge that a large part of being human is to enjoy life (this includes junk food), the more I relax. I also take a look at what repetitive thought patterns occur to maybe make me feel so negative about a little binge or turn to eating too much in the first place. Good luck. You are fine! Be kinder to yourself, you deserve it.

• Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Stressing about it and/or starving yourself will turn this into a vicious cycle. You'll get to a point where you can't handle the hunger anymore, and you'll binge. Then you'll feel bad tomorrow, starve yourself, become ravenous, and binge again.

That's why we say to forget it and move on. Eat what you normally eat on non-binge days. (Preferably filling, satisfying foods.)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I can get three or four meals out of one serving of pad thai. The trick is to take out one portion immediately and put the rest in the frig. Or, if you are at a restaurant, ask for a box and put the rest in the box.)

I add a cup of broccoli to each serving of pad thai at home or ask for extra vegetables at the restaurant. The insoluble fiber helps fill me up.
  • nm212
    Options
    When I first started using MFP I lost 15 lbs....I gained more than half of that back in a matter of 4 months. So, I guess that's why I am super sensitive now. I don't want to make the same mistakes. I know it's a lifestyle change but it's hard to keep it up long term for me. Initially, I lost most of my weight going Gluten-free, but now I try to just eat more balanced meals with some carbs.
  • nm212
    Options
    kgracesch wrote: »

I agree with Kshama. It would help to look at the emotional triggers and find some mental balance. Who doesn't eat too much sometimes? I know I do! I used to beat myself up but the more I acknowledge that a large part of being human is to enjoy life (this includes junk food), the more I relax. I also take a look at what repetitive thought patterns occur to maybe make me feel so negative about a little binge or turn to eating too much in the first place. Good luck. You are fine! Be kinder to yourself, you deserve it.

Thank you for thoughtful and kind response. :)
  • nm212
    Options
    I can get three or four meals out of one serving of pad thai. The trick is to take out one portion immediately and put the rest in the frig. Or, if you are at a restaurant, ask for a box and put the rest in the box.)

I add a cup of broccoli to each serving of pad thai at home or ask for extra vegetables at the restaurant. The insoluble fiber helps fill me up.

oh wow. Great idea!! One serving doesn't satisfy me...i need at least 2, but adding broccoli may help cause of the fiber! never thought of that. Thanks! and putting away after taking a serving is smart. I just have to make sure I don't go back for refills. haha
  • nm212
    Options
    Stressing about it and/or starving yourself will turn this into a vicious cycle. You'll get to a point where you can't handle the hunger anymore, and you'll binge. Then you'll feel bad tomorrow, starve yourself, become ravenous, and binge again.

That's why we say to forget it and move on. Eat what you normally eat on non-binge days. (Preferably filling, satisfying foods.)

Good point. I'm feeling less the desire to go grab pizza now on my lunch break. I think I was in panic mode. lol Feeling more relaxed now. Thanks MFP friends!
  • nm212
    Options
    TiaBia9 wrote: »
    You're not going to gain a sustainable amount of weight if you get back on track today. You would have to eat 3500 calories above your maintenance calories to gain even one pound that isn't water weight. It happened, you can't change that. Props to you for logging most of it. Just get back into your routine! It happens to all of us.

Why can't you have pad thai and pizza?? You should examine why you had this binge. Was it because you were being too restrictive with food? Too many changes too fast? Did you miss foods like pad thai and pizza? The key is to making this work for you, for life. If you love certain foods, you should have them! Just make small changes, like having two pieces of pizza instead of five, and enjoy every minute of how good they really are, rather than inhaling several slices and barely tasting anything.
    If you ate a lot because of stress, finding a better way of dealing with stress will serve you well in the long run. I hope this helps!

Thank you! Alot to think about and you pretty much hit the nail on the coffin here.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    How many calories are in one serving for you?
  • sazziek
    sazziek Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do not worry! although I am exactly how you are when it comes to binge eating and getting all frustrated! I actually binged last night too! But you have to think, another day is going to come and I will make up for it then. Don't go crazy ! Just eat less and work out more. And drink TONS of water =) Come see my blog - its all about the Military Diet I am doing - =)
    Sarah

• nm212
    Options
    Thanks Sarah. I will check it out!