Over eating when I get home from work and can't control myself

Options
I'm doing so well at work but when I get home it's a different story. Does anyone else have this problem??? HELP!!!

Replies

• Hernanni
    Hernanni Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try to eat a healthy dinner at work before you leave so you're not hungry when you get home.
  • lpetty22
    lpetty22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Out of sight, out of mind....if you don't buy it you won't be tempted to eat it. I'm learning this each day....I buy stuff that my kids like but I really don't care for....I don't buy "trigger foods" often because when I do, I mess up terribly.
  • krissyrey
    krissyrey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes I do!!! I thought I was the only one struggling with that. I normally pre-log all the food that I am having during the day, which is well under my calorie goal. When I get home after work, I just get the urge to eat stuff. Like for eg. last night I got home, and I ended up eating some curried potatoes with chicken that my husband had just cooked. About 1 hour and 30 minutes before I left work, I had eaten a meal. I just dont know what can be done. I was thinking about reducing my breakfast and lunch intake during the day, and save the majority of my meals for night time. This would mean that I could eat within my hearts content at night, knowing that I am still under my calorie goal. Maybe you can try this, and see if it works for you.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a snack just before leaving work so you're not *hangry*. You can also pre-plan dinner & snacks. I portion out single servings of hummus, carrots, almonds, chicken etc... I would also get rid of the trigger foods at home.

One more thought.. I lay out my workout clothes so I change & go as soon as I'm home. It lessens the kitchen temptation if I am active with less free time.

Hope this helps...good luck!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I have to time my meals/snacks so I'm not starving when I get home.

Sometimes what I'll do is eat leftovers when I get home then prepare a meal for the next few days. That might sound weird but I'm happier cooking when I can take my time and I'm not so focused on the end result.
  • martinezh
    martinezh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    THANKS a bunch for all your responses!! I will definitely take in consideration all of your advice. I truly appreciate the quick response as well! Have a bless day!!!
  • Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I think that I've gotten into a habit of eating right when I get home. I won't be hungry leaving from work, but my stomach is growling as soon as I drive up to the house. The entry leads directly into the kitchen, so I'm primed to think of food right away.

My main strategy is to try and break the habit. Either not eating right away or eating a low calorie snack (celery) to break the cycle.
  • khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. It's definitely difficult, and after reading everyone's great responses, I'm more excited to try and break the vicious cycle! This is definitely a journey, and not always an easy one.

• shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm as guilty as everyone else, however on those days that I can be proactive, I'm less likely to stop at the kitchen and open the cupboard doors.

Couple of things that work for me. I take an apple to work for an afternoon snack. I can eat the apple at about 3:00 then when I get home I'm not starving.

The other thing to do is to plan an activity for when you get home. Do you need to mow the lawn, clean the bathroom, run some errands, go to the gym? If I have something "TO DO" or want to do, when I get home, I'm less likely to linger in the kitchen as well.

My hardest days are the days I have to come home and fix dinner for the kids. I'm hungry by the time I get home, then I stand around in the kitchen while cooking and graze on "well, everything".

It's a mental battle that you have to face head on. It's hard to break habits, but if you can put something in the way of you and the kitchen, you'll have better luck at creating different habits. Good Luck.
  • martinezh
    martinezh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank You!!!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I also bring an afternoon snack to work. We have a pretty laid back work environment so no one really cares if I'm eating at my desk. (I pack breakfast too.) Today was just a combo of what was in the fridge this morning, I didn't really have time to weigh out or mix any additional dips, so I had green peppers, some strawberries and a slice of watermelon.

But here are some of the things I've snacked on lately:
    - Carrots & homemade hummus
    - Peppers or cucumber slices & a Greek yogurt/Ranch dressing dip. (2:1 yogurt to dressing & still tastes like ranch. Woot!)
    - Tortilla chips & salsa (this was a little noisy but I had made mango salsa for our Mother's Day BBQ)
    - Cut up green apple (soak it in a little water w/ lemon & it won't brown) and Peanut Butter/Greek yogurt dip. (1 tbsp PB to 2 oz greek yogurt)
    - Cottage cheese & avocado

And, if you can't pack something for work make sure you have them available for when you get home. Then you won't mindlessly graze on whatever you can find. (Like I did with honey roasted peanuts yesterday. Mmm.)