Is Insanity right for me?

Options
Hey MFP,

I'm thinking of starting the fit test tomorrow, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask veterans if it achieved the results they wanted/if it aligns with what I'm looking for. I have about 25 pounds to go, and I'd like to slim down and tone up. I don't want to gain too much muscle. My current living situation is a crowded apartment with not too much space. A few moves seem to involve high jumps etc. and I'm not entirely sure if that would bode well with the people living beneath me. However, aside from a 7-day vacation later on in July, I know I have the time to allocate towards doing it daily. Should I give it a go?

Replies

• haps3000
    haps3000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    pfft, sanity is overrated
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    There is no way you can do insanity with people below you - except when they are not home. It's also hard on your joints (although you could modify the moves to fit your level). Not good for weight loss unless you couple it with a really good diet. Just my two cents.
  • Roboticist
    Roboticist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Huh. Doesn't seem like it's the best workout for people living in apartments. What are alternatives if Insanity isn't ideal? I've considered restarting the 30 Day Shred but have done the first level more times than I can count. No hand weights at home yet.
  • shmyrs
    shmyrs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I loved doing insanity. I didn't lose a ton on the scale but lost a few pant sizes in the first month. I have a very busy schedule so I loved the short workouts. If you do your workout in the day it shouldn't matter where you live (don't really need to worry about waking people etc).

I agree that it can be hard on the joints but you can modify as needed or take it a bit more easy some days. If you decide it's not for you, tabata is another really quick workout rhat kick starts your metabolism. I would do that and either add in some weights, cardiovascular, yoga etc though to increase results.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't know if its right for you. I do know its not for me....
  • Roboticist
    Roboticist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    shmyrs wrote: »
    I loved doing insanity. I didn't lose a ton on the scale but lost a few pant sizes in the first month. I have a very busy schedule so I loved the short workouts. If you do your workout in the day it shouldn't matter where you live (don't really need to worry about waking people etc).

I agree that it can be hard on the joints but you can modify as needed or take it a bit more easy some days. If you decide it's not for you, tabata is another really quick workout rhat kick starts your metabolism. I would do that and either add in some weights, cardiovascular, yoga etc though to increase results.

I think the bottom line isn't weight loss so much as it's visibly slimming down! I think I'll at least try it out for a week and see how that works out. I've never really considered yoga as part of an exercise routine - maybe I should look into that.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    The original Insanity did not include a modifier; that came along with T25 and Insanity Max30. I did Insanity and Max30 and thought they were good cardio workouts with some strength training. It can take a while to get used to doing the movements correctly. All the power jumps in Insanity will make noise on the floor. Have you looked at the 21-Day Fix? That might be a better choice; great workouts, not as noisy (not so much jumping).