Unsupportive Partners

Options

Replies

• bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I didn't even tell my wife when I started this. I didn't tell a single person. This is something I needed to do in order to change my life. I needed to make my weight and health goals fit into my every day life - not make my every day life conform to my weight and health goals.

This means, I drink beer, eat pizza, wings, cake, tacos, and whatever. Because I need to be able to have what I want but make it fit into my life.

i didn't want my wife to change what she wanted for me. i didn't want to alter my son's meals for my sake.

eventually, my wife noticed (i mean, 60 lbs, she had to) and she is proud of me. but i still don't ask her to make any changes in the name of my goals. i've gotten this far being unobtrusive, so we'll stick with what works.

Thats a great attitude to have, well done to you!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I did not tell my husband that I was ding MFP either. He found out after about 3 months. Initially he was pretty passive about it, but was proud of what I achieved and slowly started to show an interest..
    After about a year he joined too and though he now lost the few Kgs he needed to get rid of he is now much more understanding if I say - does not fit my day goals. As for excersise Most of it (for both of us) is fitted in such a way that we can maximise both excersise and time together. We only excersise together once a week, the rest is solo, which we both prefer.

All in all I did it for me and I worked my new style in with our existing life. I did not count on his support as I was doing it for me - but I am grateful that he is now such an additional supporter
  • teresamariiex818
    teresamariiex818 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sean804mfp wrote: »
    You have to stay focused. This is your walk and your walk alone. Eating healthy around unsupportive people will only make you stronger. Eat healthy and watch yourself grow into positive results then they will want to change. Be the leader not the follower.

Love this!! So true. The amount of pride you will have in yourself when you have reached your goal will be a much better feeling then being supported through it. Although support is great and can really help on those often bad days! Going at it alone will give you the confidence and pride to no you can do this and carry on doing it within a partnership or alone. Your journey, your success.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hubby has been mostly a passive observer through all of this, though every few months he goes on a fitness jag. I've come to appreciate how his non-interference is in it's own way, a big support. This is my game, I'm having a ball, and he lets me. Even when my schedule was so full I was out in the evenings at least three times a week.

When we order in pizza, I have a slice with salad.

He's lost weight on my cooking, which he considers a bonus.

My daughter was initially actively opposed to my plan, so I quietly went along on my way. She came around eventually and now she is proud of me. Every once in a while she asks to join me on a walk.

That's one big advantage of doing this at my age. I don't care nearly as much what other people think, and I've taken ownership of my body and my choices. I'm the one that has to live in it, after all.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My husband didn't make me fat so I don't hold him responsible for getting me fit. It's not relevant if anyone in your life is supportive, it only matters if you support you.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My ex used to try and sabotage me whenever I was trying to get fit. I learned later that a lot of it was that he was afraid that if I got thinner I would leave him. But it taught me that I am responsible for my fitness/diet no one else--though it sure makes it easier that my (now) boyfriend is eating healthy at the moment!
  • irishdancer214
    irishdancer214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My parents keep tons of food in the house
    And lots of junk...and my boyfriend isn't usually very healthy, although I've been very slowly influencing him! My boyfriend has come to accept it, and usually is willing to budge on things, but my parents
    not so much. Maybe just enjoy a little beer, or try making your own healthy pizza with whole wheat dough! Otherwise, try talking with your SO about it?
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Why should my fit husband have to give up eating because I'm fat? That's not reasonable.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Is it really unsupportive or conflicting goals? His weight has no bearing on yours.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest. If my husband gets pizza, I'll have some. It is something that doesn't happen often. He is not dieting and doesn't think that I have to but he knows that this is important to me. He might buy cookies or whatever but I have to have the willpower to just not eat it or if I do, fit it into my diet.
  • fatbegone87
    fatbegone87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've had lots of family make fun of my healthy eating and exercise. Some would say I don't need to. It was very hard because i felt like just giving up to fit in with everyone. But I have health issues that have kept me eating the way I do. I finally realized that the ones who were giving me a hard time and being down right rude were family members who wanted to lose weight and were upset I was able to maintain my figure and look good. I had to remind myself that they love me but were upset were they were with their weight. To not give up because I could be a good example for them later and help them if they needed help with losing weight and eating healthy.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I see no problem with people being "passive" about my attempts to lose weight - the only one who needs to be active about it is me. And I've never had to deal with downright negativity but frankly most people around me don't notice my weight loss in any way other than the results. I make a point of it not affecting anyone else's lifestyle. I don't even cook separately for myself, just eat smaller portions of whatever the family is having or compensate with my meals away from family. It's my lifestyle that needs to change, not theirs.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else is living with someone unsupportive or passive about your health goals? That could be a boyfriend, girlfriend, wife, husband, parent or even child.

What helps you overcome the temptation when they crack a beer next to you or decide to order pizza? Or when you'd like a buddy for walking or joining a gym?

Honestly, passive is definitely preferable to unsupportive. I think most people would rate what they prefer in their partner differently, but for me it goes like this: active support, passive support, apathy, passive opposition, actively undermining, and unwanted/un-asked-for encouragement.

I have two exes who responded... differently. The first gave me unwanted encouragement. Basically he told me I needed to eat better and exercise more. I didn't ask his opinion on this. He was definitely a 'fixer-upper' type and told me one day that I was "almost perfect" (that's a red flag, folks). My next ex oscillated between supportive and actively undermining. He would go for walks with me some days. Then he'd bring home my favorite cookies or cupcakes for me, wouldn't eat any, after I asked him to stop. I know he wasn't doing this to undermine my efforts, he was just trying to make me happy, but that's what happened! (In retrospect, I should have thrown them out.) Passive or apathetic isn't that bad compared to these other reactions. Luckily, my husband oscillates between actively and passively supporting me. One of my favorite qualities of our relationship is that we are mutually supportive of each others' goals and dreams.

However, asking your SO to change their eating habits for your benefit, when they have no desire to, is not particularly reasonable on your part. As other's have said, you have to do this for you.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I used to, but not anymore. 150lbs lost, and happier.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing: while it's great to have someone by your side to cheer you on and hold your hand throughout a difficult struggle, the fact of the matter is that it's YOUR struggle. No one else's.

Let's imagine for a moment that your husband was totally supportive, and suggested healthy alternatives, and encouraged you to not go back for seconds or reach for that cake...you'd reach your goal, but it wouldn't be YOUR success. It's be his, or at least his and yours together. Call me crazy, but that would just infuriate me. No WAY I'd want anyone to share in my success. I did it! No one else! The feeling you get from knowing and owning that is so precious, and to me, worth every struggle when my chef husband would make alfredo scallops sauteed in butter and cream, or homemade deep dish pizza with a whole pound of bacon and sausage.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I didn't even tell my wife when I started this. I didn't tell a single person. This is something I needed to do in order to change my life. I needed to make my weight and health goals fit into my every day life - not make my every day life conform to my weight and health goals.

This means, I drink beer, eat pizza, wings, cake, tacos, and whatever. Because I need to be able to have what I want but make it fit into my life.

i didn't want my wife to change what she wanted for me. i didn't want to alter my son's meals for my sake.

eventually, my wife noticed (i mean, 60 lbs, she had to) and she is proud of me. but i still don't ask her to make any changes in the name of my goals. i've gotten this far being unobtrusive, so we'll stick with what works.

I second this and it actually sounds like I would have wrote it. It's about me and me only. No one knew about my change until I started to reject second portions, and eat healthier options. Then I joined a gym and now everything is in the open. Although my life does not dictate those around me. They have their own lives to live. I want to be a good example for my kids, but I don't deny them the opportunity to be a kid.
  • blufforbust
    blufforbust Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I joined my wife in losing weight. We do it differently but we've both lost about 30lbs each.
  • nightingale702
    nightingale702 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks of all the thoughts everyone.

I personally feel that fitness or weight loss is largely a personal journey, but that having a partner in life in a healthy relationship would naturally allow those goals to mesh. Because it's a positive change, and because the "health-enlightened" partner cares about the other's health and wellbeing. Habits and willpower are very hard things though, I think that comes with all aspects of relationships.

For now I'm the only one using our join gym membership. Since I do the grocery shopping, whatever is in the house is what my parter eats. Our schedules are mismatched but I have a feeling he eats out for lunch nearly ever day (hints were the subway sandwich napkins on the table and his car full of fast food bags). I care a bout him and his health immensely, but I don't bring it up. Hopefully it will rub off, as positive things seem to do naturally!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could save some $$ by downgrading the membership to a single rather than joint? Did he ever show any actual interest in using it? Even if they're interested in exercise, some people do prefer other stuff such as walking/running outside, basketball game with the buddies, etc. Also I don't know if it's just a convenience thing that he's got the wrappers in the car, but consider that ideally he should be able to eat what he wants without being or feeling judged