Is Stevia better?

Options
SlimSumday
SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
In my quest to quit most artificial sweeteners but still stay low in calories, I have come across Stevia. What are your thoughts? Is Stevia a better alternative or just the same?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It is low in calories but to me it has a bitter taste. Other people like it so the only way to know is to try it and see what you think.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I also think it tastes absolutely disgusting. YMMV.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    For lack of a better description, Stevia tastes like Wolf's Vagina.

Splenda or Equal are just fine.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Stevia has a disgusting taste.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    eh not a fan but give it a shot and see if you like it
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Also not a fan but I know a number of people who really like it. Only way to know is to try it and decide for yourself.
  • klbrowser
    klbrowser Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use stevia in tea and in plain nonfat Greek yogurt. I don't like the taste as well in hot solid foods and use Splenda for those.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste. And that's all my mom has around to sweeten coffee when I come over. Yuck!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Hate Splenda and Equal, Stevia is a little better but I can still detect an after taste. I prefer to use xylitol. It is not as low calorie but I just account for those calories in my daily total and it is easy to use as it measures equally in volume to sugar.
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't dislike it.Everyone else in the family hates it.
  • merde_il_pleut
    merde_il_pleut Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There's very little good scientific evidence to support any one artificial sweetener as being better or healthier than others. Pick one you can stand the taste of. I personally can't stand stevia - Splenda all day long for me.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You have to watch which type of stevia you get. A lot of the ones on the store shelves are actually artificial sweeteners because they contain other junk to make it less expensive. I use a few products that have pure stevia extract in them as the sweetener and don't mind it at all.

Honey is a fantastic all natural sweetener and the amount you need to sweeten something up is not high in calories at all. Cutting out a lot of processed foods from your diet, or things that contain a lot of artificial sweeteners will help change your taste-buds to require less and less sweet stuff. At least that has been my personal experience.
  • sazziek
    sazziek Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Being diabetic for 20 years, I've been through and tasted all of the "sugar free sugar" as I like to call it. I personally enjoy truvia, with stevia coming in a close second. It is funny, the more I use those - the more I HATE sweet and low, equal, ect.!
  • Brelynn
    Brelynn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't use it often (mostly on oatmeal), but it tastes okay. I prefer it to the other artificial sweeteners.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I use a pure stevia extract liquid and don't mind it for sweetening coffee or something like a smoothie or yogurt, but I've tried the "truvia" products and they are horrible in taste but especially for cooking anything.

I don't mind the taste at all, I think it actually tastes just like sugar, but find that it messes with my insides, so I can't use it a lot.

When I have the absolute choice, I prefer regular white sugar. :) I don't care for any other artificial sweetener.
  • Daveysgirl2014
    Daveysgirl2014 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use it in my coffee every morning.
  • josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both use it and don't think it tastes badly at all
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    truvia-nutrition.gif

Be under no illusion. It is generally just another artificial sweetener.

Ingredients:
    Erythritol: A sugar alcohol
    Rebiana: The actual "stevia plant"
    Natural Flavors: ???
    Made by Cargill Company: Aka Coca-Cola

I personally have no issues eating artificial sweeteners, but i dont like the taste of stevia sweeteners. Again though, they are... in fact.... artificial sweeteners.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Stevia is not artificial. It is natural, and you can even grow your own if you are that type. I like the taste. You only need a tiny bit though since it is much sweeter than sugar, so be careful not to use too much. If you use to much, then it does taste bad. But if you use it properly, it tastes great.