I cant lose any!

Options

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I agree with @segacs. I ran your numbers through www.scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator. If have you a goal of eating 20% less (which I think is kind of extreme for a 6 lb loss) and said you have a desk job with no exercise this is what your caloric requirements look like.

It said to maintain you can eat 1673 calories a day and to lose a pound a week you can eat 1394. These are net calories so they don't take into account the calories you burn during exercise.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I agree with @segacs. I ran your numbers through www.scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator. If have you a goal of eating 20% less (which I think is kind of extreme for a 6 lb loss) and said you have a desk job with no exercise this is what your caloric requirements look like.

It said to maintain you can eat 1673 calories a day and to lose a pound a week you can eat 1394. These are net calories so they don't take into account the calories you burn during exercise.

I ran the same stats but used a 15% deficit and lightly active (since most people aren't truly sedentary, even without workouts) to get the 1600-calorie goal.

But yeah, it's going to be somewhere in there, give or take. Certainly NOT less than 1200/day.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have similar stats (34, 5'8, 134-135) and lose 1/2 lb a week on 1950. I lift heavy 3 times per week and HIIT cardio about 2 times. But I have to be very accurate with logging my food. I would starve on 1200 and even 1,600 would be a struggle. You don't want yo lose lots of muscle with the fat so lift heavy and eat at a small deficit.
  • lylabali15
    lylabali15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    If you're trying to starve yourself, you're doing it wrong.

As you say, you're at a very healthy weight for your height already. Maybe you need to buy dresses that fit your body, rather than trying to starve your body into your too-small dresses?

I don't starve myself. My dresses are size 4
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    lylabali15 wrote: »
    Oh and I've been trying to eat below 1200 calories.

Do you measure and/or weigh and logging everything you eat? How do you verify you're only eating 1200 (which is probably far too few)?

Again I use my fitness pal app to log my food intake.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to starve yourself, you're doing it wrong.

As you say, you're at a very healthy weight for your height already. Maybe you need to buy dresses that fit your body, rather than trying to starve your body into your too-small dresses?

I don't starve myself. My dresses are size 4
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Do you measure and/or weigh and logging everything you eat? How do you verify you're only eating 1200 (which is probably far too few)?

Again I use my fitness pal app to log my food intake.

Just because MFP says you are doesn't mean you truly are unless you're using a food scale to weigh everything.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This^^^ (to malibu927's post)
  • lylabali15
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    I have similar stats (34, 5'8, 134-135) and lose 1/2 lb a week on 1950. I lift heavy 3 times per week and HIIT cardio about 2 times. But I have to be very accurate with logging my food. I would starve on 1200 and even 1,600 would be a struggle. You don't want yo lose lots of muscle with the fat so lift heavy and eat at a small deficit.

I do cardio and lift weights 3-4 times a week. The reason I'm consuming 1200 calories because I'm trying to lose 1 lb a week. But I don't mind the 1600 calories or more as long as I can go back where I was.
  • lylabali15
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies! I am 35 years old, 5.8, 136, and female. I know you will say my BMI is normal, I just want to be able to feet in my dresses. I admit it, I can't starve myself. I've changed my eating habits, and before it was very easy to lose weight fast. But now it seems impossible to lose any!

With so little to lose, fast really isn't an option. Half a pound a week is the most you should be aiming for.

Read this to help you out: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest

Thank you!
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sazziek wrote: »
    Check out my blog! I explain what I am doing for the time being - I lost 3 lbs in 7 days so far !

And not explaining it here would lead the rest of us to believe you are doing some sort of shake or fast that you are trying to sell. Whatever it is, sounds unhealthy and I hope the OP does not pay attention to whatever it is.

Edit to add: I am not the one who flagged your post, BTW. I'm actually not a fan of flagging any post except obvious spam.
  • lylabali15
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    Check out my blog! I explain what I am doing for the time being - I lost 3 lbs in 7 days so far !

And not explaining it here would lead the rest of us to believe you are doing some sort of shake or fast that you are trying to sell. Whatever it is, sounds unhealthy and I hope the OP does not pay attention to whatever it is.

Ok thank you, as you can tell I'm new to this!
  • emilydalton86
    emilydalton86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with earing less will always result in weight loss. I've recently been using my fitness pal for making sure i eat three meals a day, or round abouts. I too have around 6 pounds to lose to hit my target weight but it doesn't seem to want to shift no matter what I do. Not so long ago I would eat one meal a day, I would consume at a guess about 700 calories. There were days if stress or when things were hectic when I wouldn't eat at all, maybe just a hot chocolate at night. So, with that in mind I should have lost weight not maintained. I don't think it's as simple as one rule for all here to be honest. With a healthier approach I'm still not losing, moving more, eating 1300 - 1500 calories a day usually, drinking more water. I'm still the same weight and measure the same as I did eating less. Just find it odd.
  • curryspicegirl
    curryspicegirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm with you - I am 5'3" and weigh 120-123. I am trying to get back to my favorite weight: 115 and it doesn't seem to be happening. I've tried 1200 cal and switched to 1300 (I snack a lot... all good stuff, but I'm a grazer). I exercise every day and although my body is getting quite muscular (I have ridiculous muscle tone), I can't seem to lose weight. And inches in the stomach area :(
    I also eat healthy (same rules as you). I have decided to keep doing everything I'm doing and at some point the weight will start dropping...
  • lylabali15
    Options
    I'm with you - I am 5'3" and weigh 120-123. I am trying to get back to my favorite weight: 115 and it doesn't seem to be happening. I've tried 1200 cal and switched to 1300 (I snack a lot... all good stuff, but I'm a grazer). I exercise every day and although my body is getting quite muscular (I have ridiculous muscle tone), I can't seem to lose weight. And inches in the stomach area :(
    I also eat healthy (same rules as you). I have decided to keep doing everything I'm doing and at some point the weight will start dropping...
    I'm not snacking as much anymore, but weekends is the hardest. I cant control myself on weekends. I drink cosmo on Saturday nights, I get most of the calories on Saturday and Sundays!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I don't starve myself. My dresses are size 4.

What difference does it make what size the dresses are? If they don't fit you, buy dresses that do.

Also, isn't a UK size 4 the equivalent of a US size 0 or thereabouts? Maybe with you being 5'8", trying to squeeze into such a tiny size is just unrealistic.
  • sazziek
    sazziek Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Edit to add: I am not the one who flagged your post, BTW. I'm actually not a fan of flagging any post except obvious spam.

Ah! I did not want my post to come across that way AT ALL - I just blog about what my daily routine has been and what my results have been so far to kick start my weight loss and fitness journey. I am not trying to sell anything - please everyone get that out of your heads! My bad! I am sorry if anyone else felt that way!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Under 1200 cals, with exercise on top of that? Are you out of your mind?

You-Have-To-Stop-Lady-Gaga-Gif.gif

For gawd's sake eat more.
  • lylabali15
    Options

That's

Well, even with that I haven't been able to lose any!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Ah! I did not want my post to come across that way AT ALL - I just blog about what my daily routine has been and what my results have been so far to kick start my weight loss and fitness journey. I am not trying to sell anything - please everyone get that out of your heads! My bad! I am sorry if anyone else felt that way!

From another thread I see you're promoting the Military Diet.

Please, under no circumstances think that that is any sort of a reasonable, healthy, sustainable diet.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting? In other words, define "for the longest time."
  • lylabali15
    Options
    I don't starve myself. My dresses are size 4.

What difference does it make what size the dresses are? If they don't fit you, buy dresses that do.

Also, isn't a UK size 4 the equivalent of a US size 0 or thereabouts? Maybe with you being 5'8", trying to squeeze into such a tiny size is just unrealistic.

Well I used to be size 0, then 2 now 4! Size is just a number but I don't want to ignore the fact that getting big sizes mean gaining too much weight. If I don't control my size and weight now by next year I would have problem losing more than 6 lbs. I rather worry about just 6 lbs not more.