I cant lose any!

Options
13»

Replies

• lylabali15
    lylabali15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    How long have you been dieting? In other words, define "for the longest time."

When I realized really none of my clothes fit any more! About 2 months ago.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with earing less will always result in weight loss. I've recently been using my fitness pal for making sure i eat three meals a day, or round abouts. I too have around 6 pounds to lose to hit my target weight but it doesn't seem to want to shift no matter what I do. Not so long ago I would eat one meal a day, I would consume at a guess about 700 calories. There were days if stress or when things were hectic when I wouldn't eat at all, maybe just a hot chocolate at night. So, with that in mind I should have lost weight not maintained. I don't think it's as simple as one rule for all here to be honest. With a healthier approach I'm still not losing, moving more, eating 1300 - 1500 calories a day usually, drinking more water. I'm still the same weight and measure the same as I did eating less. Just find it odd.

Eating less over an extended period of time than your body requires will always result in weight loss. Eating 700 calories a day consistently, with some days of not eating at all, will always make you lose weight. You'd probably lose your hair, teeth, skin, and organs if done long enough as well. My guess is that you were consuming more than that, especially since you said 700 calories was only your guess. There may have been days when you ate next to nothing, but most likely you compensated on other days by eating over maintenance. Therefore your total intake balanced out, and that is why you maintained. There is no other reason why your body would keep its weight for an extended period other than you're feeding it the calories it needs.

And if you're doing 1300-1500 calories now and still not losing, you're still at maintenance. If you have only 6 pounds to lose and are already thin, eating 1500 calories is probably a very small deficit. But if you're just guessing and not weighing everything you put in your mouth, you could be off by a few hundred calories and eating more than you think.

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think you have yet to answer the question do you weigh your food. If you're not weighing your food, then you really have no idea how many calories you are eating. Weigh and measure EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth, even prepackaged/portioned foods. Weigh solids on a food scale and measure liquids with a measuring cup (or some food scales like the one I have allow you to weigh liquids.) If you don't, you are very likely eating more than you think.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • ddmusica
    ddmusica Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing a plateau, myself. I lost 42 lbs, and now they are creeping back, even though I have not changed anything.... I am much more toned, so it could just be muscle gain. I really want to be 130 lbs (I am 46, 5'5")
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    ddmusica wrote: »
    I am experiencing a plateau, myself. I lost 42 lbs, and now they are creeping back, even though I have not changed anything.... I am much more toned, so it could just be muscle gain. I really want to be 130 lbs (I am 46, 5'5")

It's not a plateau unless it's been 4-6 weeks of not losing. The weight creeping back over a week or two could simply be water weight, normal fluctuations, hormones, time of month if that's a factor for you, heck, just about anything could cause that. Weight loss isn't linear.

And if you're eating at a caloric deficit you're likely not gaining muscle. It takes a LOT of work to gain muscle. It's not something that just happens without realizing it.

Tighten up your logging and tracking, and keep doing what you're doing. Be patient.
  • emilydalton86
    emilydalton86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't see how one meal a day, no snacks and dilute in water could take me to a calorie intake to maintain weight? And I still have my teeth, organs and hair. Typically I would have dinner at work then no tea if I ate earlier, or I'd have no dinner and eat tea at home, breakfast was never eaten. Of course that's all changed now but explaining it away by assuming I was over eating and not realising is impossible with just one meal a day.

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I don't see how one meal a day, no snacks and dilute in water could take me to a calorie intake to maintain weight? And I still have my teeth, organs and hair. Typically I would have dinner at work then no tea if I ate earlier, or I'd have no dinner and eat tea at home, breakfast was never eaten. Of course that's all changed now but explaining it away by assuming I was over eating and not realising is impossible with just one meal a day.

It's not impossible to go over on your calories in one meal. Unless you have a medical condition, if you are eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. If you're not losing and you don't have a medical condition, you are eating too many calories.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    As long as you honestly eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. Have patience.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options

How long did you do this for? Weeks? Months? Years? You won't start getting ill physical effects immediately, but it will happen with prolonged malnutrition. Since you didn't lose weight or experience negative health consequences, I feel 100% confident in saying you either didn't follow that diet for very long, or you ate so many calories in one meal that you met your needs. You may still have had slight vitamin/mineral deficiencies without really knowing it.
  • lylabali15
    lylabali15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

How long did you do this for? Weeks? Months? Years? You won't start getting ill physical effects immediately, but it will happen with prolonged malnutrition. Since you didn't lose weight or experience negative health consequences, I feel 100% confident in saying you either didn't follow that diet for very long, or you ate so many calories in one meal that you met your needs. You may still have had slight vitamin/mineral deficiencies without really knowing it.

I just started few weeks ago, and I do eat healthy and weekends I cheat. I dont know I used to lose weight very fast not anymore.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    lylabali15 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies! I am 35 years old, 5.8, 136, and female. I know you will say my BMI is normal, I just want to be able to feet in my dresses. I admit it, I can't starve myself. I've changed my eating habits, and before it was very easy to lose weight fast. But now it seems impossible to lose any!

5.8 and 136? OK