Is this diet ok for weight loss??

Options
anna_sgh
anna_sgh Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hi, i have started taking this diet for weight loss - im 31 and almost 25kgs overweight i have thyroid and fertility issue so need to make myself better for being able to be a mother.
Here's my diet --
Morning empty stomach i take apple cider vinegar with lemon honey in normal temperature. After half an hour i eat either 2 boiled eggs or stouts or oats with milk no sugar.
Then after 2-3 hours i take one cup of tea without sugar and any fruit.
Then after 2-3 hours i eat mix sautéed vegetables with yogurt/sprouts (if sprouts are not taken in breakfast only then i eat them in lunch)
Then in evening snacks i take tea and a fruit
And in dinner i take boiled pulses with yogurt and salad.
Thats all - no sugar no sweet no processed food and very less olive oil.
And either aerobic or brisk walk for 35-45 mins 5 days a week.
Thats what iam following. Is this ok??

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Same thing, every day?

Without knowing measurements of everything, it's hard to say, but seems to be far too drastic of a cut in calories, far too monotonous/boring, and lacking in several key nutrients (protein and fat being the obvious).
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Does not seem like enough calories and also does not seem sustainable for long term weight loss. Instead of focusing on being so restrictive just plan to stick to your calorie goals (and please don't let them be 1200 a day...this is too low for most people). Figure your TDEE -20% and make this your goal (use this calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. Bottom line is to find what works for you and make it something you can stick with long term. You have a lot to lose and short term "diet plans" typically fail because they are too restrictive. If you need any help feel free to message me (not selling anything just easier than posting to the boards). Best of luck to you!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    anna_sgh wrote: »
    hi, i have started taking this diet for weight loss - im 31 and almost 25kgs overweight i have thyroid and fertility issue so need to make myself better for being able to be a mother.
    Here's my diet --
    Morning empty stomach i take apple cider vinegar with lemon honey in normal temperature. After half an hour i eat either 2 boiled eggs or stouts or oats with milk no sugar.
    Then after 2-3 hours i eat mix sautéed vegetables with yogurt/sprouts (if sprouts are not taken in breakfast only then i eat them in lunch)

That's....complicated. Planning on eating this way for good? Just eat food and keep within your kcal allotment.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    If you like it, I guess it's ok. For me, no it's not ok. Too restrictive, which would probably lead to not staying with it.

You know, there are tons of good stickies in this forum and the getting started forum... you should read them, there's tons of good information in those stickies.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This looks like it is under 1200 calories a day.. This is depending that I have the amount of oats, and fruit servings you may be having off the top of my head... anywhoo..

Can't know if your diet is good if you do not share somethings.. do you weigh and measure food daily..and is this in line with the number of calories you were given to loose weight? I personally think this is bland and boring and not necessary,,, but this is your choice..

And the exercise is ok, walking "will do a body good"..
  • anna_sgh
    Options
    Hi thank you for replying but i have always been this little eater. Its thyroid and fertility meds since last 2 years that made me this fat.
    Well i chose different fruits and veggies and pulses everyday nothing same everyday. Also i love eating fruits and veggies and tofu etc so for me it wont be monotonous at all.
    But if you have something better please share i would love to get new ideas!!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Hi thank you for replying but i have always been this little eater. Its thyroid and fertility meds since last 2 years that made me this fat.
    Well i chose different fruits and veggies and pulses everyday nothing same everyday. Also i love eating fruits and veggies and tofu etc so for me it wont be monotonous at all.

For me at least, it wasn't the food (I'm madam monotonous in that area too!) it's the timing of it. The vinegar and honey wouldn't do anything and it just seems so strict? I dunno, all so know is that babies ruin schedules and create their own!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Here's my diet --

That does not sound like a lot of calories, How many is it? Are you going to eat like that forever because to me it looks like a set up for failure. If you have a diagnosed Thyroid issue my suggestion would be to speak to your doctor to get you referred to a Registered Dietitian. Who will be able to suggest a sustainable meal plan that will work with your medical issues
  • anna_sgh
    Options
    Well this comes up to a total of 1300-1500 calories depending upon different items that i eat. I have met a dietitian already and prescribed i eat 1200-1400 calories with high protein and low carbs and im sticking to this kind of diet only. Its a mix of vegan and vegetarian diet kind of detox too. I have seen many people lost so much weight and got so much better health wise their hair skin nails everything speaks of their good health thats why i decided to go with it. I thought here people would be knowing this thats why i shared this !!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Well this comes up to a total of 1300-1500 calories depending upon different items that i eat. I have met a dietitian already and prescribed i eat 1200-1400 calories with high protein and low carbs and im sticking to this kind of diet only. Its a mix of vegan and vegetarian diet kind of detox too. I have seen many people lost so much weight and got so much better health wise their hair skin nails everything speaks of their good health thats why i decided to go with it. I thought here people would be knowing this thats why i shared this !!

Well...it's certainly NOT a high-protein diet, nor a particularly low-carb diet (in fact, it's pretty heavily weighted toward carbs).

Not for nothing...but as soon as you hear the word "detox", you should assume the diet is bunk and woo.

People here know how to lose weight eating sensible portions of foods they enjoy and a balance of proper macro- and micro-nutrients, not total bunkum 'detox' diets.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

You will lose weight, but chances are you will gain it back since plans like these are only meant for short term (although I don't know many dieticians who would call this a healthy plan). You need a good balance of protein, fat & carbs to be "healthy". Too much or too little of any can cause health problems. If you are sticking to this diet only I don't know what kind of advice you are seeking here. You wanted opinions and now you are getting them.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Are these people you know in real life?

• Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    That sounds depressing.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Lexicpt wrote: »
    That sounds depressing.
    ^^^^Agreed.

Is the diet "okay"? I guess....maybe. You aren't going to harm yourself by eating this way.

Is it sustainable? I am leaning towards no. I am just of the mind that once you start putting too many restrictions, rules, schedules, etc on eating, then you decrease your chances of having long term success. I have been through so many "diets", tricks, gimmicks and fads that I have just learned the most important thing about eating is eating balanced, meeting your macros and staying within your calorie goals. All the rest is just too much hassle.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think there are two questions here. Any diet is technically okay for weight loss only if it puts you in a calorie deficit. If your TDEE is 2500 and you eat 1500 calories of McDonald's cheeseburgers or Snickers bars daily, you'll lose weight. The other side of the question is about health and nutrition. You probably don't want to eat just cheeseburgers and candy bars all day (or, maybe you do :wink: ) if you want to hit your macro and micro goals. That means you should eat a balanced diet for health reasons to get a good amount of protein, carbs, fats, vitamins, and minerals that are essential for bodily functions.

So if your calorie deficit isn't too steep for your weight loss goal and you are getting enough nutrients, then a diet is good for weight loss and nutrition (that's simplifying it, but true in general). But as others have said, the psychological aspect plays a huge part. If the food choices aren't forced but something you enjoy eating and can sustain, then great. If you get sick of eating that specifically, know there is a whole world of food out there to eat and enjoy that will still let you reach your goals if you're diligent about tracking and have enough willpower to stay in a deficit until you reach your goal weight.
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I feel hungry and light headed just looking at your diet. And where is the variety? I couldn't eat the same thing everyday
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Lexicpt wrote: »
    That sounds depressing.

My thoughts exactly.

• anna_sgh
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes 2 of my colleagues and one very close friend of mine lost hell lot of weight like this. But after hearing you all seems its not that good then please let me know what other options you would suggest here. I have tried few diets but this Diet
    particularly made me more energetic and active.
    So Im more confused now as i feel great eating this and love eating such foods but you people are saying its not good then what should i do now :-/
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I feel nauseated and a little sick just thinking about a food plan like this. If I had to face drinking vinegar every morning, I might just stay in bed. And then there was that "detox" mention. Please, no.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't like the look of this diet, particularly if you are looking at getting pregnant and being a mum. There doesn't seem to be much protein or iron there which you need as menstruating woman. Think of the food pyramid and eat like that. Log your calories here as well, keep on exercising and you will lose weight in an appropriate manner. And you will find you will have a happier healthier pregnancy and child.