Turn off: You've earned ### extra calories from exercise today

Options
2»

Replies

• CarynCharB
    CarynCharB Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I go in everyday and delete it. I am so frustrated by it and that you have to upgrade to get rid of it.....Grrrrrrr
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    ignore it..you (and your will power) are stronger than the software
    overeating.gif
  • mattbell007
    mattbell007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the annual Premium version of MFP; it cost me about $50. I figured it was worth it, because MFP helped me lose 106 pounds so far (I want to lose a few more pounds, but my wife tells me I'm there already.) I've logged every day for more than 1100 days, so I'm definitely already on board with MFP. It's way cheaper than any other "plan".

You can upgrage by clicking on the Premium tab across the top of the Web version, or selecting it from the list of pages in the app.

Why I upgraded to Premium (besides having used the free version continuously for more than 3 years):
    • No ads
    • Track Nutrients by grams instead of percentages
    • Set whether to add exercise calories to your daily calorie goal
    • Set different calorie goals for different days of the week

I have had mixed results with the last one, but I like the feature, because most of my exercise is aerobic exercise, but two days a week I lift weights. Lifting really doesn't add any countable calorie burn, but my regular goal is to eat at a deficit. I don't want to do that on days when I lift weights. On those days, my goal is set to my maintenance calories instead of at a deficit.

There are other features you may end up liking; they are listed on the Premium tab.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    I think most of the points have been hit all I would add is don't use MFP for getting you exercise calorie burn in the first place, use a HRM. My burns are significantly from one to the other, and it's always higher on MFP.

Depending on what type of workouts you do, even HRM calorie burn is questionable. I use a Microsoft Band and the calorie burn it gives me is what I enter in MFP, but since I use TDEE to set my daily calories, I'm covered in those cases where I think or know it's probably off. But, since my splits are consistent (same routine, rest, etc.) it's always going to be off by the same amount so the calories burn and HR tracking is useful for comparison sake.
  • mrschasing
    mrschasing Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do not eat my exercise calories, but I do like to see them in my remaining calories. I track my personal deficit for the day. If I closeout each day with 1,000 calories remaining I should lose 2 pounds a week.
  • mattbell007
    mattbell007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree that calorie burns are estimates no matter how you measure them. As I've lost weight, movement is easier, and therefore burns fewer calories. I think this effect is stronger than the one MFP builds into its calorie-burn estimates. On the other hand, as I've lost weight and lifted weights, I've become more active generally, meaning my "sedentary" calorie burn is higher than the MFP estimate. Those two errors counteract each other. Even TDEE is an estimate. Food calories are estimates, even for packaged, pre-portioned foods.

If you are consistent at what you do, you can use your own experience to help you decide if an adjustment is needed in the estimates. If you are disciplined about what you do, adjustments will work.

Consistency is the key. Count things the same way every time.

It's like shooting a rifle. If you get 5 holes in a small group on the target paper, it doesn't matter that you are nowhere near the bullseye. You can adjust to get there. If you shoot the target 5 times, and the holes are all over, it is impossible to know what to adjust. Except that you need more consistency in your shooting.
  • price0909
    price0909 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    Are you using TDEE to get your calorie goal? If not, you should eat back at least a portion of your calories.

Agree. Otherwise, why do you want to turn it off?
    What is TDEE?

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    price0909 wrote: »
    Are you using TDEE to get your calorie goal? If not, you should eat back at least a portion of your calories.

What is TDEE?

MFP method gives a calorie goal so that you lose weight without exercise (BMR+Daily Activity). As far as I'm aware it's the only site to do this. So when you exercise, you should eat a bit more than on days you don't. It helps to keep you in a safe deficit. Not eating back the exercise calories can make your deficit to large (make it go over the recommended amount of weight loss per week).

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure (so BMR + Daily Activity + Exercise)
    TDEE method involves taking subtracting a percentage off of this number and that is your calorie goal every day no matter what exercise you did or didn't do. The reason for this is that your exercise calorie burns are already accounted for and balanced across your week.

An example:
    MFP says to eat 1200 + exercise calories.
    TDEE-20% says I should eat around 1900 calories.

With the TDEE method, my weight loss per week would be about 0.9lbs.
    MFP is set to 1.5, but is giving me 1.4 because I am no longer able to create a 1.5 lb per week deficit from my Daily Activity (without exercise) calorie burn.
    My average weekly loss over the last 30 Days has been 1.4 lbs with an average total intake of 1875 (average NET of 1350...150 over the NET goal MFP gave me).
  • price0909
    Options
    So if I am not working out everyday (or yet to start...) I should probably stick to the MFP method? Until I can get in a rhythm or working out
  • price0909
    Options
    I just dont like it to add my daily fitbit step/calories back.. that is just regular everyday moving... I guess I will have to make that determination each day from a work out to regular necessary movement.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Go to

More

Click on Steps

Select

Don't Track Steps

That will stop the steps counting as calories you can burn
  • goldfishgoo
    goldfishgoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options

What is TDEE?

MFP method gives a calorie goal so that you lose weight without exercise (BMR+Daily Activity). As far as I'm aware it's the only site to do this. So when you exercise, you should eat a bit more than on days you don't. It helps to keep you in a safe deficit. Not eating back the exercise calories can make your deficit to large (make it go over the recommended amount of weight loss per week).

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure (so BMR + Daily Activity + Exercise)
    TDEE method involves taking subtracting a percentage off of this number and that is your calorie goal every day no matter what exercise you did or didn't do. The reason for this is that your exercise calorie burns are already accounted for and balanced across your week.

An example:
    MFP says to eat 1200 + exercise calories.
    TDEE-20% says I should eat around 1900 calories.

With the TDEE method, my weight loss per week would be about 0.9lbs.
    MFP is set to 1.5, but is giving me 1.4 because I am no longer able to create a 1.5 lb per week deficit from my Daily Activity (without exercise) calorie burn.
    My average weekly loss over the last 30 Days has been 1.4 lbs with an average total intake of 1875 (average NET of 1350...150 over the NET goal MFP gave me).

BEST explanation! Thank you, it was not sinking in with me. I really appreciate this! o:)
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    TDEE let's you input how much you're working out (from not at all to 7 days a week). You can still use it. I think it comes down to preference. Do you want to have your calories go up and down each day depending on exercise (this assumes you can get an accurate burn rate for exercise) or keep them constant throughout the week (TDEE averages them out). I've done both now, and have had better results and prefer having the same target each day. I also don't have to worry as much about my burn rate being off (i.e. using HRM for workouts vs. cardio).
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    How do I turn this off: You've earned ### extra calories from exercise today
    I dont want it to give me extra calories in my totals.

There are only two ways to stop your adjustments: disconnect your accounts (but then you won't see your MFP food & water in Fitbit) or pay for MFP Premium.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I just dont like it to add my daily fitbit step/calories back.. that is just regular everyday moving... I guess I will have to make that determination each day from a work out to regular necessary movement.

That's a sign your activity level is set to low on MFP.

Your Fitbit adjustment is your total Fitbit Calorie Burn - MFP estimated Burn = + or - adjustment

If your activity level is higher than what you told MFP, then you are burning more calories without exercise than MFP thinks and as such you get an adjustment to make up the difference.

If you believe your Fitbit overestimates your calorie burn** than you don't have to eat all the calories it gives.

**An easy way to figure this out is to:
    • 30 Day Average Burn - 30 Day Average intake = 30 Day Average Deficit
      30 day average burn and intake will be on your Fitbit Profile page (website)
    • 30 Day Average Deficit * 30 = Total Deficit for 30 days
    • Total Deficit for 30 days/3500 = Expected weight loss
    • Did you lose the amount expected? No, you lost less, then it's overestimating. No, you lost more, it's underestimating you can eat a bit more.
  • price0909
    Options
    So Monday thru Friday. I sit at a desk, not much movement. However I did get a Varidesk so I dont have to sit all day! (Serious back pain!) But im not moving much, just standing at my desk on and off.

Sat and Sun I actually do physical exercise. I am working at trying to find time during the week to work out, however bc of this I put Sedentary in MFP, is this wrong?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Using Fitbit + MFP is entirely different than using MFP alone.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, then setting your MFP activity level is entirely a matter of personal preference.

Increasing your activity level gives you more calories in the morning but smaller adjustments. You're eating the same number of calories either way: TDEE minus deficit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • CarynCharB
    CarynCharB Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Go to

More

Click on Steps

Select

Don't Track Steps

That will stop the steps counting as calories you can burn

This!