The stair master

Options
ljk0615
ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
first off, I love it. I'm working on my last 5-10 pounds so I'm trying to focus more on weight training than on cardio but I still try to fit in some cardio so I can eat a little more tbh. Also I feel like the stair machine must do something good for my legs and maybe my butt. The one I use has a calorie estimator but you don't enter in your weight or anything. Anybody want to guess if maybe the estimated burn is feasible or just way off base? Everyone on here says all machines just way over estimate but I feel like it's quite a workout.
So I'm 28. 161 lbs. 5'7". I set it at level 9 or 10 and then I'll slow it to 7 or 8 and then back to 9 or 10. I'm isually on for 7-9 mins and it says about 110 calories have been burned? Is it possible?

Edited to say I usually try to "burn" 110-120 and then I log 100.

Replies

• nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love the stair master too.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I love it, its my cardio finisher and its a real killer. I find it quite hard when its slow because you are waiting for the steps to come at you. I radually step up the pace every 50 or 100 steps. I try and speed it up as far as I cna go at the end, so tried level 16 last night for the last 100 steps and its fast, about 120 steps a minute, cant keep that up for long.
  • ljk0615
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I love it, its my cardio finisher and its a real killer. I find it quite hard when its slow because you are waiting for the steps to come at you. I radually step up the pace every 50 or 100 steps. I try and speed it up as far as I cna go at the end, so tried level 16 last night for the last 100 steps and its fast, about 120 steps a minute, cant keep that up for long.

Yeah it can get intense! Do you log the calories it says you burned?
  • ljk0615
    Options
    Nobody? Really? :(
  • Fitiny
    Fitiny Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am 5"5 142lbs. According to my HRM I burn 85-100cal/10min. I start from 6 and go to 12. The longer I can stay on the machine is 20miin.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the calorie-estimating algorithm built into the stair climber (assuming we are referring to the step ill) assumes no handrail support. Even if you are just leaning on the handrails and not significantly supporting your weight, you are reducing the effort and calories burned. The faster you go and/or the more you hold on/rest, the greater the reduction. Very few people can climb at a high effort without some support, so it's safe to assume your calorie numbers are a little high.

That shouldn't in any way dissuade anyone from using it. It's still a great exercise, and likely any other machine you use is overestimating as well.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I love the stairmaster too and usually use it for 20 mins after weights every day! It says I burn 280 cals in that time - I use a program so cant relate to the levels that the OP uses. Its great for my bum and is making my calf muscles very toned!

To the person who finds it frustrating going slowly - try taking the steps two at a time. That REALLY works you hard without seeming to.

Good point about the holding on btw - I tend to drape myself over the handlebars as Im knackered when I do it but never though how it would affect my effort as its really my legs still doing the work.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I used to love the stairmaster, it was my go to machine, till my knee got messed up.

FYI, you are right it does help the legs and will help keep that butt lifted :)
  • noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I usually start on the stairmaster on my cardio days. I switch between 1 minute on level 6 then 1 min level 12 for 15/20 minutes. Definitely think it helps with toning the legs!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I would say, to be safe, if you're putting in a solid effort then just max your count at 10 cals/min.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I love it but I dont log the calories the machine says I burn. I was on there for 45 minutes at level 12 this morning and it was close to 1,000. I'm fairly sure this isnt accurate for me ;)
  • ljk0615
    Options
    amillenium wrote: »
    I love it but I dont log the calories the machine says I burn. I was on there for 45 minutes at level 12 this morning and it was close to 1,000. I'm fairly sure this isnt accurate for me ;)

Well what I do know is the fact that you can do 45 mins at level 12 means you're a beast.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    ljk0615 wrote: »
    Well what I do know is the fact that you can do 45 mins at level 12 means you're a beast.

hahaha! not sure about that :) but trying to get back into shape. I do leave the gym drippy sweaty. I really like the stairmaster, I feel like it works muscles I had not been using!
  • 999tigger
    edited May 2015
    Options

I wish the fan on it was a lot stronger. 45 mins at level 12 is impressive, isnt that about 110 steps a minute? Im assuming the stairmasters all have the same setting? Does more than one company produce them?

I like improving on machines as its fun to see your body adapting.

This is the one we have at the gym

690_470_1284329-png-hero.png
  • ljk0615
    Options
    The one at my gym looks a little different, it's called a stair mill and it has no fan. I really think I might be able to handle it for a bit longer if it did have a fan, I've found myself starting to get overheated a couple of times.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The ones at our gym look different too, also with no fan. I love it though, since I can no longer run because of arthritis in my feet, I can actually get some good cardio time and effort in on the stairmaster. I just got a hr monitor so I will have to do a comparison next time between the amount of calories the machine says I burned and what my monitor says.
  • ljk0615
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »
    The ones at our gym look different too, also with no fan. I love it though, since I can no longer run because of arthritis in my feet, I can actually get some good cardio time and effort in on the stairmaster. I just got a hr monitor so I will have to do a comparison next time between the amount of calories the machine says I burned and what my monitor says.

You should report back on your findings if you think about it!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just writing to say I miss the step mill. My old gym had one and my tiny but very close gym doesn't. I asked if they'd consider it and it was a no. So listen up, gym managers, people want and need step mills.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    It was mainly because we were talking about settings. Different makes are unlikely to be compatible in terms of settings as a 12 on one might be 15 on another. I like it because its different and adds variety. The fan isnt nearly big enough, but it blows a small breeze that makes it a bit more pleasant.

My gym has 2. They arent that busy except at peak times and even then you are just waiting for the next person. A certain % of girls do the leg raises/ kickbacks. Lots of people spend under 5 minutes and not going very fast. I was always conscious of flying off like a treadmill or getting feet trapped. I am now adjusting to it, which is just familiarity over time and some adapting.