Can you eat too much?

Options
Can you eat too many vegetables and salad variations in a day? I do not weigh out my veg and salads (excluding potatoes) which I substitute with swede. I can,t think of any vegetable that is bad for you, I steam cook.

Replies

• inked_Calimom82
    inked_Calimom82 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your going for. If your trying to eat a certain amount of calories everyday then yes u can eat too much. Doesn't really matter what u eat but if u go over your calorie deficit u won't lose weight. Although it's hard to overeat on fresh veggies but going over daily calories is still going over regardless what u are eating.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes you can.. and you can gain weight eating too many of anything!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think it would be pretty darn hard to go over calories from eating lettuces or most other leafy greens, peppers, tomatoes, and some other low calorie vegetables. But it's still possible to eat too many of them, if it causes you to not eat enough other foods to provide balanced nutrition.

ETA: weighing/logging your food isn't about whether it's healthy or not. It's about knowing your total caloric intake.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    yes you can for sure...its how i became overweight.
    On a pretty healthy (home grown fruit and vegetable organic) intake of food.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Realistically, I don't think you could eat enough of some vegetables to overeat. For example, you would have to eat eight heads of cabbage to reach 2000 calories. Physically, I'm not sure if that is even possible. But eating the 19 ears of corn required is much more doable, when you consider that is 4 at each of three meals and 3.5 at two snacks.

But no one eats just cabbage or just corn. Instead, we mix it with other stuff and the some of the calories adds up. If you've eaten 1900 calories of other stuff, then one ear of corn is going to throw you over the 2000 calorie mark. Even with cabbage, if the calories from other stuff is near the limit, a serving of cabbage may be the difference between gaining weight or losing weight.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You'll have a healthy digestive system...that's for sure!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Everything has calories. Might as well measure them.

Having said that, it's unlikely you'll gain weight from eating an extra lettuce leaf.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You'll have a healthy digestive system...that's for sure!

Not necessarily.... Too much fibre isn't good for you.

OP, I'd be tracking all vegies. I could eat hundreds of calories in fruit and vegies a day if. If I wasn't counting, this could easily put me in a caloric surplus...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • BWBTrish
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here a normal day what i used to eat (in dutch sorry)
    But believe me this is the bare minimum what i would eat
    Pure healthy food almost 99% i would grow myself or make myself even butter and cheese
    fruit out of my own garden.
    Now this is a normal eating pattern of some bread with meat, veggies 1 piece of 1 piece fruit.

I ate way more fruit than i give here in the example so as veggies.
    This brought me to eat over my maintenance already

And i ate about 1 bag of crisps ( in Holland the bags of crisps are way smaller than in the US ) a month
    oh and one snicker bar

So all pretty balanced not really crazy. So this is without an occasional ice cream people have sometimes...also me. Without a sweet...and believe me when i say a sweet then i mean a sweet i didn't eat a bag of sweets. And rarely i drank a pepsi but lets say 2 a month...still it was too much my normal daily menu was already over maintenance remember.

It was all to much for me when i became injured and totally sedentary. When i was active and trained np at all i stayed at a stable same weight for more than 20 years.
    But when i became chained to a chair and bed for months after months the pounds flew on.

but look for yourself it isnt crazy eating and pretty healthy and balanced.
    There is only TOO MUCH calories eating what makes you gain weight!

I put some translation behind it so you can see what it is.

Breakfast (9-10AM) Calories

Greggs - Wholemeal Brown Bread, 2 slice 154
    Westland - Old Amsterdam Cheese, 60 g 251 ( this are two slices of cheese thin, on the bread)
    Milk - Whole, 8 fluid ounce 150 ( just a glas)
    Bona - Boter, 20 gr 106 ( this is butter on the bread)

Add Food Quick Tools 661

Morning Snack (11.30AM)

Wasa Cracker - Cracker, 1 slice 60
    Bona - Boter, 10 gr 53 ( butter again)

Add Food Quick Tools 113

Lunch (1-2PM)

Bimbo - Soft White Bread, 2 slices - 47g 110
    Eru Goudkuipje - Smeerkaas, 45 gram 111 ( this is a spreadable cheese)
    Schouderham - Schouderham, 74 gr 78 ( 2 thin slices of ham for on the bread)
    Appel - Appel, 145 gram 79 ( an apple)
    Bona - Boter, 20 gr 106 (and butter again for on the bread)

Add Food Quick Tools 484

Afternoon Snacks (4PM)

Yogart - Yogart, 4 oz 67 (Yogurt)
    Aardbeien - Vers, 140 gram 44 ( and strawberries)
    Suiker - Kristalsuiker *, 5 gram 21 ( and some sugar over the yogurt)

Add Food Quick Tools 131

Dinner (6-7PM)

Speklap - Speklap, 100 gram 337 ( belly pork)
    Aardappelen - Gekookte, 125 gr. 87 ( cooked potatoes)
    Groeten - Tuinbonen, 150 gr 63 ( butter beans)
    Vanillevla - Vla, 200 ml 174 ( and a small pudding)

Add Food Quick Tools 661

Evening Snack (9PM)

Koekjes - Sprits, 1 stuk 92 ( a biscuit)
    Drank - Koffie, 100 ml 1 (coffee)
    Oude Kaas - Oude Kaas, 1 plak 140 ( i 1 by 1 inch piece of cheese)

Add Food Quick Tools 233

Totals 2,283

So no crazy amounts of eating here

It is so easy to become overweight when you dont weigh your food on a scale
    And all your eating healthy wont help when you dont know how much calories you eat.

(btw this is from years ago but was curious myself how much i ate than so calculated it one day)
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    oh and lets not forget salads with salad dressing or other oils etc Calorie hogs when you dont burn that much anymore lol
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Eating too much of anything will make you gain, though REALISTICALLY you just can't eat that many green vegetables. Fruits can be high in calories...the average banana is about 100 calories. But green veggies like broccoli, lettuce, string beans? I think you could eat them until you burst and you probably wouldn't gain.
  • AuburnL
    AuburnL Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You sure could, but I think very, very few people actually do. Green leafy veggies or watery fibrous veggies like celery, salad greens, spinach, peppers, zucchini, cucumber, broccoli...all very low calorie and very hard to overeat to any significant degree due to how much fiber and general volume of food you get along with the very few calories. The difference between 40g of celery and 80g? 6 calories! I personally don't see the value in bothering to weigh a stalk of celery if the difference is gonna be 2 calories between a large and a medium stalk for example. YMMV of course but that's just not a difference I care about. I sometimes weigh stuff like that to get better at estimating volume but that's about it. Now if you are dipping it in peanut butter...that's another story!!

The place you are going to get into trouble with salads and non starchy veggies is cooking oil or dressing. And you'll generally use more of that kind of thing with larger servings so it pays to pay attention there.

Starchy vegetables are a whole other story and I weigh and track those carefully. A cup of green peas has117 calories. So being significantly off there can definitely start to add up. Same with stuff like corn, winter squash, sweet potato, even cooked carrots. I think of those things as starches, not veggies and track accordingly.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Pure healthy food almost 99% i would grow myself or make myself even butter and cheese
    Now this is a normal eating pattern of some bread with meat, veggies 1 piece of 1 piece fruit.

And i ate about 1 bag of crisps ( in Holland the bags of crisps are way smaller than in the US ) a month
    oh and one snicker bar

So all pretty balanced not really crazy. So this is without an occasional ice cream people have sometimes...also me. Without a sweet...and believe me when i say a sweet then i mean a sweet i didn't eat a bag of sweets. And rarely i drank a pepsi but lets say 2 a month...still it was too much my normal daily menu was already over maintenance remember.

It was all to much for me when i became injured and totally sedentary. When i was active and trained np at all i stayed at a stable same weight for more than 20 years.
    But when i became chained to a chair and bed for months after months the pounds flew on.

Westland - Old Amsterdam Cheese, 60 g 251 ( this are two slices of cheese thin, on the bread)

Add Food Quick Tools 661

Morning Snack (11.30AM)

Add Food Quick Tools 113

Lunch (1-2PM)

Add Food Quick Tools 484

Afternoon Snacks (4PM)

Add Food Quick Tools 131

Dinner (6-7PM)

Add Food Quick Tools 661

Evening Snack (9PM)

Add Food Quick Tools 233

Totals 2,283

And all your eating healthy wont help when you dont know how much calories you eat.

(btw this is from years ago but was curious myself how much i ate than so calculated it one day)

Not quite sure you ate the bulk of your calories in vegies and fruit.... You ate very limited fresh produce, so not tracking those probably wouldn't have effected you too much
  • BWBTrish
    edited May 2015
    Options

oh and one snicker bar

Add Food Quick Tools 661

Morning Snack (11.30AM)

Add Food Quick Tools 113

Lunch (1-2PM)

Add Food Quick Tools 484

Afternoon Snacks (4PM)

Add Food Quick Tools 131

Dinner (6-7PM)

Add Food Quick Tools 661

Evening Snack (9PM)

Add Food Quick Tools 233

Totals 2,283

Not quite sure you ate the bulk of your calories in veggies and fruit.... You ate very limited fresh produce, so not tracking those probably wouldn't have effected you too much

like i said before it didn't affected me at all when i was working and training
    I ate even more in fruits and vegetables.

The problem of gaining started when i became injured and couldn't do anything anymore. And kept on eating the same amount of calories. And some days even more because i was bored as hell)
    And my own fault But self pity, anger over losing everything, (horses, students a company) took its toll.
    Don't get me wrong i dont regret it or blame myself.
    I just know were it went wrong that's all :)

Nothing can change that.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    Can you eat too many vegetables and salad variations in a day? I do not weigh out my veg and salads (excluding potatoes) which I substitute with swede. I can,t think of any vegetable that is bad for you, I steam cook.

Yes, of course you can. Vegetables have calories too.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Vegetables aren't bad for you but they do have calories. Some have more calories than others. If you are counting calories to lose weight you should include any vegetables you eat as well.
    It is up to you how accurate you want to be. If you don't want to weigh them and it is working for you then don't. If you stop losing weight or aren't losing as much as you would like then you probably should weigh and measure everything.

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't worry about it personally but if you're close to your goal weight every calorie counts so I'd weigh that out too