Can you eat too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've known people on MFP who don't even bother logging vegetables. I believe them when they say they couldn't possibly eat too many calories via vegetables. But everyone is different. I can and I have. There are in fact overweight vegans. They may be uncommon but they do exist.

About 35% of my daily caloric allowance is from vegetables so if I didn't count them, it would make a big difference.
  • LighterLifestyle
    LighterLifestyle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments, I forgot to say I also make Kale/Grape and other veggy juices which I also have with my usual meals, which equates daily to average 12 different vegs (not peas, corn, beans). Mixed fruit berries, banana, apple, plums, orange. I struggle with leaving off bread.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Deipneus wrote: »
    I've known people on MFP who don't even bother logging vegetables.

This is me. I only log "high" calorie vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, that sort of thing. If I have a garden salad with no dressing, I don't even bother putting it in.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who started on diet kick that included lots of seaweed and spirulina and some other stuff I forget. It turned out all of it was high in iodine and he had an undiagnosed thyroid condition. It triggered some pretty nasty side effects and earned him a couple days in the hospital.

Bottom line, there are some "healthy" foods that might, given the right circumstances, get you too much of a good thing. From a strict calorie standpoint, most green veggies will be very hard to overeat on, though.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments, I forgot to say I also make Kale/Grape and other veggy juices which I also have with my usual meals, which equates daily to average 12 different vegs (not peas, corn, beans). Mixed fruit berries, banana, apple, plums, orange. I struggle with leaving off bread.

I would definitely log those. Bananas can be up to 200 calories, an apple 100, etc.
  • AuburnL
    AuburnL Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Definitely log those carefully. When you juice you remove the fiber from the fruit and vegetables so it's much easier to eat larger volumes of them and the calories can start adding up quickly. It's not unusual at all for a serving of green juice to have over 200 calories. I get one at my local juice place as an occasional treat and it's got 220 calories of kale, apple, celery etc.

Do that a few times a day and it adds up quick. You may be getting more calories and sugar with your veggies than you realize.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I eat lots of veggies. I steam and season them really good. It's so tasty.