bad knees low metabolism

Options
Hi everyone,
I am someone who has gained 40 kilos the past 8yrs.
I have been trying to diet for yeara and every summer I find myself at the same weight. I lose a few and gain them right back.
I have low metabolism and no thyroid problems. I only lose weight by eating healthy and exercise. I had an accident which caused problems for my knees and am now in physical therapy and not allowed to walk or cycle which are the exercises I always relied on.
I don't know what to do....
I had a scare a few days ago regarding my heart which made me more determined than ever to lose weight. ..
Please help me... it's now or never for me..

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Check with your physio if you can exercise in the pool. Also ask for examples how you can do moves low impact style. With less exercise you will pay closer attention to your diet, weighing and measuring.
  • Rubyitstime
    Rubyitstime Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't really have the option of the pool right now. I live in Saudi Arabia and the physio center is a small ward in a hospital. .. no pool.
    I will ask about the low impact exercises though..
    Thanks jgnacta
  • Rubyitstime
    Options
    Thanks asflat
    I was needing some guidance on how to ease into weight training while sitting down.
    How long did it take you to lose the weight and tone up. How much weight did you need to lose?

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Check out google for chair workouts you can do while seated.
  • Rubyitstime
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Thanks will do
  • Rubyitstime
    Options

[/quote]

If you lose enough, you'll start seeing abs and muscles and such. The thing is, if you workout while you lose, when you start to see your muscles, they'll have a better chance of looking more defined. My profile pic is from a couple of days ago. I started eating at a calorie deficit in February 2014. I had my knee surgery in March 2014. I was on crutches until the middle of May 2014. I started at 270lbs. Right around June or July, I weighed about 200lbs. That's when I started getting back into the gym and when my knee allowed me to do some cardio exercises. I started with simply walking the dog. Then moved into elliptical machines. Currently, I'm at 195lbs and have just started a 5x5 program. It does take a while. It just takes patience and perseverance. [/quote]

Truly impressive.
    Patience and long term goals are definitely not my strong suit but I need to make them so.
  • Rubyitstime
    Options

That was so helpful. Actually found many things. I tried before using "sitting Exercises" but that didn't generate what I needed.
    "Chair workouts" on YouTube did the trick.
    Thanks
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

That was so helpful. Actually found many things. I tried before using "sitting Exercises" but that didn't generate what I needed.
    "Chair workouts" on YouTube did the trick.
    Thanks

You're very welcome!! That's one of those things I think you only learn from reading a million posts here lol :) Happy to be able to share it.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    As I was reading this, I was going to recommend googling Chair Workouts but I see you've already done theat. Best of luck to you!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am someone who has gained 40 kilos the past 8yrs.
    I have been trying to diet for yeara and every summer I find myself at the same weight. I lose a few and gain them right back.
    I have low metabolism and no thyroid problems. I only lose weight by eating healthy and exercise. I had an accident which caused problems for my knees and am now in physical therapy and not allowed to walk or cycle which are the exercises I always relied on.
    I don't know what to do....
    I had a scare a few days ago regarding my heart which made me more determined than ever to lose weight. ..
    Please help me... it's now or never for me..

How did you determine this?

It's also normal for your metabolism to slow when in a long term deficit, so in a sense all of us trying to lose weight have a low metabolism...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I worked with cardio rehab patients and others at one point and I did a lot of low impact chair exercises that normally are looked at as for seniors. Pool exercises as well. Do a Google search for chair exercise, and you might also throw in "knee" there for extensions and such. Your biggest goal is to lose weight, which in turn will make exercise more feasible.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My sister recommended MFP to me a few years ago when I was frustrated by not able to exercise due to knee problems. I lost 30# in 6 months. (Stopped doing MFP and started cooking for and going out to eat with a new boyfriend, my now fiance, and gained most of it back.) I've been back for about a month and am losing a pound per week.

Here's an inspirational video about how yoga helped a disabled veteran become able to walk (and run) without his crutches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIXOo8D9Qsc

(As a yoga teacher, I can't recommend learning yoga solely from DVD and the man in the video did have some interaction with the teacher from his DVD.)

Also check with your PT about yoga.
  • Rubyitstime
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My sister recommended MFP to me a few years ago when I was frustrated by not able to exercise due to knee problems. I lost 30# in 6 months. (Stopped doing MFP and started cooking for and going out to eat with a new boyfriend, my now fiance, and gained most of it back.) I've been back for about a month and am losing a pound per week.

I am not familiar with MFP, what is that?
  • Marshachia
    Marshachia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How about trying to do workout on a rebounder?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    My Fitness Pal :)
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I also have really bad knees , what are the issues you have ? I have stage 3 artitires in both knees and currently a torn acl in my left knee , I had 2.major surgery on each knee , but I don't let any of them stop me , I started doing insanity which is meant to be bad for your knees and guess what my knees feel great at the moment
  • Rubyitstime
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My Fitness Pal :)

Lol.... ok told you I was new here! :)