I'm having gastric bypass surgery in 2 days!!! Wish me luck!!!

Options

Replies

• mazinjovi
    mazinjovi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck wish u the best!
  • Kmedeiros83
    Kmedeiros83 Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wow.....threads like this make me want to drink. My wife had GB and has issues now, 10 years later. Nutrition absorption is difficult for her which leads to hair loss and other health issues. Now I'm not sure how the surgeries have changed these days, but just be aware of the potential risks and weight all your options before taking the plunge. Be safe and good luck friend!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You are extremely lucky i have been trying for almost a year now to get into too somebody for a surgery i wish you luck on your future.

You have 25lbs to lose and want WLS? Are you barmy?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    laree66 wrote: »
    HI! I had a RNY 8 yrs ago! Lost 170lbs and believe it or not, losing again with exercise, going for an even 180. Best. Decision. Ever. I wish someone had reminded me throughout that -- 1. follow the rules -- it will go so much faster and easier. 2. all things considered, I did it for me, and not following the rules only hurts me and slows down my progress. 3. Dream big, plan big & suck all of the life from your days as you can.

You can do this, healthy, hang on and enjoy the ride!

Read the bolded part

I am not being rude Just honest
    I read this like, she's exercising to lose ten more lbs to make it an even 180 lost.
  • healthy2be16
    healthy2be16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Thanks for all the responses, positive or negative. It's good to hear different opinions. But I have made a firm choice to have this done. It's an informed choice, very informed! I'm altering my body for the rest of my life, I'd be crazy not to do my research. I personally know a fair few people that have had huge success with WLS. Even 10+ years down the line, it sounds to me that everyone around you may have in fact forgotten about WLS simply being a tool... If you eat what is recommended after surgery then their really is no reason why you'd gain the weight back. I unfortunately have back problems and this makes excersize impossible (for now at least) and have 2 boys with special needs so for me to get into the best shape as quickly as possible is the best thing for me and my family. I understand that people have different views and I respect that but I did ask for support. I've done my research do I don't need statistics etc... I need support. If you can't be supportive then I need nothing from you. I don't mean to be rude but my mind is made up. I've battled with myself non stop over this but I've come this far and have no plans to back out now x
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    laree66 wrote: »
    HI! I had a RNY 8 yrs ago! Lost 170lbs and believe it or not, losing again with exercise, going for an even 180. Best. Decision. Ever. I wish someone had reminded me throughout that -- 1. follow the rules -- it will go so much faster and easier. 2. all things considered, I did it for me, and not following the rules only hurts me and slows down my progress. 3. Dream big, plan big & suck all of the life from your days as you can.

You can do this, healthy, hang on and enjoy the ride!

Read the bolded part

I am not being rude Just honest

Um, not sure what your grasping at here? Looks like she lost 170 lbs after wls and is now going for an additional 10 for a total loss of 180. What's wrong with that??

• snickerscharlie
    Options
    To the OP: You sound well informed and I wish you all the best in your life changing journey. :)
  • marge1946
    marge1946 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wishing you all the best. We are all on a journey and you are about to take a new road. May your journey have few bumps. Good luck my prayers are with you
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Everyone's journey is different and this is a deeply personal decision. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Hi all. Thanks for all the responses, positive or negative. It's good to hear different opinions. But I have made a firm choice to have this done. It's an informed choice, very informed! I'm altering my body for the rest of my life, I'd be crazy not to do my research. I personally know a fair few people that have had huge success with WLS. Even 10+ years down the line, it sounds to me that everyone around you may have in fact forgotten about WLS simply being a tool... If you eat what is recommended after surgery then their really is no reason why you'd gain the weight back. I unfortunately have back problems and this makes excersize impossible (for now at least) and have 2 boys with special needs so for me to get into the best shape as quickly as possible is the best thing for me and my family. I understand that people have different views and I respect that but I did ask for support. I've done my research do I don't need statistics etc... I need support. If you can't be supportive then I need nothing from you. I don't mean to be rude but my mind is made up. I've battled with myself non stop over this but I've come this far and have no plans to back out now x

Even more so why I cant support you

All the time you have wasted preparing for this surgery and researching should have been at least a year.

I lost 120 lbs in that time.

Your recovery time will well be over a month alone, that is anoter 6 lbs lost.

You're wasting time when another "tool" couldve been doing this the right way.

You do know this surgery could kill you? And then where will your boys be?

All this time wasted on this surgery that you say you need "now".....what about all the time before "now" the time you spent getting ready for "now" if "now" is so critical???????

Enough, already!

You sound so hangry.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Anniepi66 wrote: »
    Please don't do it. I will wish you luck, for sure; but I am asking you to please reconsider. It is not too late. I had gone through all the testing and counseling to prepare for the surgery, too. Not bypass, but gastric sleeve. My last visit with the nutritionist/dietitian helped me to make the decision not to do it. I was waffling already, and when I sat for over an hour with her and she went through this book of what I HAD TO DO, the very tiny, tiny amounts of food I would be able to eat and showed me exemplars of those food sizes, that I would be on liquids for two weeks before, for a couple weeks afterwards, then soft foods, then maybe never to eat certain foods again, the things which would make me sick, most likely, I sat there and thought why on earth am I doing this to myself? Why am I having half my stomach cut out to eat so little food? Surely I am strong enough to do this without the surgery. I even cried! I just wanted the weight off. When I first went to the surgeon, it was at the behest of the gastroenterologist because of my fatty liver, which I had to get under control. I have a family history of diabetes, heart attacks, cancer, breast cancer and am knocking on the door of diabetes already. After our meeting, Chelsea took me to the lady so I could go ahead and set up the appointment to have the surgery. I cried again. They both told me it was okay - nobody was going to make me have the surgery if I wasn't ready or if I wanted to think about it more or if I wanted to cancel it altogether. Chelsea and the appointment lady both reminded me the surgery was a tool only, it was not a cure and it was a huge decision. They were kind and understanding. I had also had a very long session with the surgeon early on. He also told me the surgery was a tool, not a cure; it was all up to me to make it work. And I HAD to work at it, it was not going to be easy and there was always the possibility I would gain the weight back if I didn't forever continue to eat tiny amounts of food and to learn not to eat some types of food forever. I didn't make the appointment for the surgery, but did make another appointment with Chelsea the dietitian for January of this year. Another hour meeting of talking food and lifestyle. During December at the last appointment before setting up the surgery, she had given me the MFP app, which I figured it was another dead end for me. Nothing else had ever worked, so why would this IF I decided not to have the surgery? I came home and talked to my husband. I think I had already decided in my own mind not to have the surgery, but I was comforted by the conversation I had with him as we stood in the garage and talked while he was unloading his truck from the deer hunting trip from which he had just returned. He had been supportive of me in wanting to have the surgery, but had already told me he would be happier if I decided not to do it, but he let me make my own decision. Anyway, together we decided I would not do it and that we would work together to get me slim and him slimmer (he's not fat anyway!). So that night I decided that the next morning I would start following MFP and see what happened. Mind you, this was two weeks before Christmas 2014, so my expectations of doing anything meaningful in the way of weight loss were not huge! Started anyway and by Christmas I had actually lost two pounds. Of course, by January 1, I had not lost another ounce. January 1, we both got serious; by my appointment January 15 with Chelsea, he had lost 6 pounds and I had lost 5. I was ecstatic. I am not going to tell you it has been a breeze, I still overeat at times, I still don't exercise as much as I probably should. But for the most part, I have followed MFP, watching calories and losing weight - 35 pounds so far. Something I have never been able to do on my own. Never. Lest you think I am young maybe and have tried only a couple times, no. I am 67 years old and have tried every diet in the book since I was about 25 and have done nothing but gain and lose, gain and lose, on a diet, off a diet, on a diet, off a diet until in November of 2014 I was tipping the scales at 285. I had tried on more than one occasion the calorie counting, but it never worked because it was so much trouble to look up all the foods and the fat content or the sugar content or the sodium content and on and on. But MFP does it for me. And I've had to tweak and learn and add and subtract. And I don't have a lot of MFP friends, but the ones I do have, I'm very thankful for their help and support, which has been invaluable to me. I have found the perfect fit for me. And I don't feel like, for the first time ever, that it is a diet! It is a lifestyle. It is the way I will have to eat forever more, but at least I get to eat. I eat food, real food. I like to eat. And knowing I can eat almost - ALMOST - anything as long as I stay within that calorie count, what a fantastic way to live. I have 65 more pounds to go. If it takes me the rest of the year or it takes me to the end of next year, that's okay. I can do this and I didn't cut out half my stomach and I can eat.
    So please reconsider. I don't know your circumstances, so I am not at all telling you that what has worked for me is going to work for you. But as someone who was going in your direction and decided not to and am so happy and thankful every day that I didn't, please give it some thought - more thought maybe than you have. I know how hard it is. But in the vein of being a good citizen, I am wishing you luck in whatever you finally decide.

Awesome story and awesome job!!!!
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    UUUMMMMMM but I AM informed did I not say I was a CANDIDATE and went through all the medical stuff and BACKED OUT

so that makes me INFORMED

Also watching two (failed) sisters go through it
    my boyfriends (ex) wife's failed surgery
    my sisters mother in laws failed surgery
    a co-workers failed surgery

they all start the same way on theri "journey" you know what they are now over ten years later?
    FAT the same, MORE, or 3/4 of what they were BEFORE the surgery only this time with ADDED complications from having the surgery

So not only am I INFORMED because I WAS a candidate who went through the process and was inches away from having it done......every.....single.......person.....I KNOW for the last ten plus years has only has temporary success at best

The doctors wont tell you this, because they dont want you to know that the LONG TERM SUCCESS rates of this procedure are POOR

that is a FACT look it up!

It's a proven fact that the people you know personally are a fair representation of everyone, everywhere, and that because you bootstraps'ed your way to health, you've created the standard by which everyone else must, or else they're gonna get a real mean Big Girl Finger Wag.

Thank you, Dr. Person.
  • jsanders00
    jsanders00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I had it done a year ago and I've lost about 90 lbs. Its the best decision that I've ever made for myself. No lie, its hard, really hard at first but you'll find your way and it becomes normal. You have to completely change the way you think about food and yourself. The image you have of what you want to look like and the way you end up may be very different. That's been the hardest for me. I am down to my last 10 lbs and its very hard.
  • Anniepi66
    Anniepi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You had your surgery today. I hope you did well and you are not in too much pain. I do wish you good results and a more healthy life and more comfortable life if this corrects your back problems. Even though I elected not to have the surgery after going through all the testing and researching everything I could and asked that you reconsider, since you were already firmly committed, again wishing you good luck, a quick recovery time and that you lose that 'sticky' weight soon!
  • dchatman
    dchatman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with you. Understand your struggle. I have gone back and forth with deciding what to do. Went to classes read literature and consulted with my doctors but decided I wanted to give myself one more chance before I decide to have the surgery. I'm happy for you. Looking forward to hearing about your journey.
    Dardar
  • Dawnlrn
    Dawnlrn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the RNY two months ago. It IS a tool and I am so glad I did it. I finally feel in control of my life. I am using all the tools that I know and feel more healthy and fit than ever. Good luck and know that everyone is different and it is a personal decision. :)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Just popped back in to say I hope you're doing well and recovery is going smoothly! All the best. :)