Vegetarian vs. Vegan

Options
Could someone please explain the difference between being vegetarian and vegan? I think the fomer abstains from meat and the latter from meat, dairy and fish - is this correct?

Replies

• tuxedo702
    Options
    Could someone please explain the difference between being vegetarian and vegan? I think the fomer abstains from meat and the latter from meat, dairy and fish - is this correct?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    from what I understand, a Vegan does not use anything made with animal. This includes leather and such.
  • 33equals3
    Options
    Well, there is vegetarian, lacto-vegetarian (includes milk but excludes eggs), lacto-ovo vegeterian (yes eggs, milk, but no fish, meat, poultry). There are vegans that use leather etc, but most vegans do not (those who are vegans for ethical, not health reasons). I used to be lacto/almost vegan for many years.
    HTH!
  • MiaEllie
    Options
    Most vegans don't eat any food that comes from an animal (this includes honey).
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am a level 5 vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.
  • tuxedo702
    Options
    Don't plants cast shadows?:wink:
  • Skabilly
    Options
    Don't plants cast shadows?:wink:

SO TRUE LOL:laugh:
  • m_bordeau23
    Options
    Hahaha

That's the point! It's from the Simpsons.
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hahaha

That's the point! It's from the Simpsons.

Winner!!!
  • tuxedo702
    Options
    Very good, then! I haven't watched the Simpsons in years - more of a Seinfeld sense of humor, I guess...
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    And I on the other hand will eat pretty much anything that isn't nailed down or moves when the wind blows. Everything in moderation.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I am interested in this as one of my close friends told me she was now a vegetarian. She went to a slaughter house on a school trip with her kid and came home with no desire to eat anything with a face.

Funny thing is, she has gained 50+ pounds!! I thought she would LOSE weight.

I almost made a joke about the leather tennis shoes she had on.....but was afraid I would send her over the edge!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    And I on the other hand will eat pretty much anything that isn't nailed down or moves when the wind blows. Everything in moderation.

You're too picky!

I'll eat things that blow or are nailed down. They just can't move on their own power.
  • tuxedo702
    Options
    I am interested in this as one of my close friends told me she was now a vegetarian. She went to a slaughter house on a school trip with her kid and came home with no desire to eat anything with a face.

I almost made a joke about the leather tennis shoes she had on.....but was afraid I would send her over the edge!!!

I'm in the process of reading "Skinny *****" and after reading the chapter about the slaughterhouses I don't think I'll eat meat again either. Howver, you do raise an interesting dilemma re: leather. Shoes, belts, purses. How do we justify that? But then what are we supposed to wear - plastic?
  • tuxedo702
    Options
    I'm in the process of reading "Skinny *****" and after reading the chapter about the slaughterhouses I don't think I'll eat meat again either. Howver, you do raise an interesting dilemma re: leather. Shoes, belts, purses. How do we justify that? But then what are we supposed to wear - plastic?

Oops! Didn't realize I'd get sensored there - it's the title of a book for heaven's sake! (Second word describes a female dog.)
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Very good, then! I haven't watched the Simpsons in years - more of a Seinfeld sense of humor, I guess...
    Well ALRIGHT THEN!!:drinker: Happy Festivus to YOU!:bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Oops! Didn't realize I'd get sensored there - it's the title of a book for heaven's sake! (Second word describes a female dog.)
    clothes made with duct tape!!:noway: .....seem to be quite the rage!! It comes in all sorts of fun colors now...:wink::bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

My Health food coop is full of many vegans and vegetarians...in all shapes and sizes... :flowerforyou: I think it can happen that if we don't educate ourselves well before making changes beit dropping meat or anything else from our daily diet perhaps a person might tend to overeat in another food group...more processed etc. Lots of great foods in the freezer section at Healthy Food stores...but still processed in some way or another.

I imagine if overeaten...YUP even AMY's spinach/artichoke pizza would make a person wish they hadn't eaten so much of it!:laugh:
  • tuxedo702
    Options
    I imagine if overeaten...YUP even AMY's spinach/artichoke pizza would make a person wish they hadn't eaten so much of it!:laugh:
    Now that's crazy talk! No one would ever wish that about Amy's Spinach/Artichoke pizza! Love it!:smile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

My Health food coop is full of many vegans and vegetarians...in all shapes and sizes... :flowerforyou: I think it can happen that if we don't educate ourselves well before making changes beit dropping meat or anything else from our daily diet perhaps a person might tend to overeat in another food group...more processed etc. Lots of great foods in the freezer section at Healthy Food stores...but still processed in some way or another.

Good point!:heart: