Bad soda! nnnnno!

I quit drinking soda 3 days ago and heard that there are sodas that you could drink when on a diet like diet sierra mist or coke zero. are these true or are all sodas bad.

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    I've heard that everyone who drinks soda--diet or otherwise--will die.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

I also heard the survival rate for everyone is zero.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Diet sodas might not have any (or many) calories, but a lot of people including myself find that things containing artificial sweeteners just increase our craving for real sugar. I have that problem with chewing gum too so I avoid it.
  • polijex
    polijex Posts: 25 Member
    good thing i quit then thx!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    They have diet in the name. They must be ok...
    Read the labels of everything you consume with a label and make it fit your day. Or don't. You choose.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    polijex wrote: »
    I quit drinking soda 3 days ago and heard that there are sodas that you could drink when on a diet like diet sierra mist or coke zero. are these true or are all sodas bad.

Everything in moderation. Many people experience health problems from the artificial sweeteners, but if that isn't you, then they're fine to drink.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    For some, it won't matter if they switch to diet. Habits are formed over repetition and if drinking any soda is associated with eating more, then unless they switch that too, weight loss may not occur.
    Personally I've drank diet soda for over 25+ years and haven't had any issues with excessive weight gain nor the "symptoms" that lots of natural sites say happen to one who does use artificial sweeteners.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Are they 100% good for you? Nah. They don't offer much in the way of nutrition at all. They contribute some sodium and well that's about it. Okay, well depending on the diet soda they add water, caffeine, and sodium (and that's in order of quantity in my Diet Mtn Dew...yes there is more caffeine in it than there is sodium).
    Are they going to keep you from losing weight? Nope. Well unless the sweetener used makes you crave sugar and you give in to said craving AND end up eating at maintenance level or higher.

It's up to you whether or not you drink them. I drink them. I actually switched to diet soda because I'd rather eat my calories instead of drinking them. That said I still have a regular soda from time to time when I can fit it into my calories. Now to go get another Diet Mtn Dew, because this can is empty.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    I drink regular soda, but i work it into my calorie goals for the day.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member

Um no soda is 'bad'. Regular soda has calories so you need to be mindful of that, but diet sodas are either zero calories or very low calories, and are a good choice when you're watching your calorie intake.

I drank diet soda during my weight loss phase, and I continue to drink diet soda now that I've successfully been maintaining for over two years now :)
  • polijex
    polijex Posts: 25 Member
    all of these replies are great the differences between them are difficult to judge which is better lol. some say soda will kill you some say they dont matter if they are . tough decision but can come to the best decision with these thanks peeps.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    You can prise my diet coke and diet 7-up out of my cold dead hands ...

If soda will kill you show me the proof ...it's not difficult to judge at all..there's scientific studies and there's conspiracy theories
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited May 2015
    I drink regular Coke. I'm not dying. I'm losing weight. I'm still living. I fit it into my daily calories. I'm not dead.

Did I mention I'm still alive? :drinker:
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member

Regular sodas have a lot of calories, ~140-150 in a 12 oz serving. That can be over 10% of your calorie budget in just liquid. There's no problem with having it, but it's a lot harder to keep your deficit goals if you have a big bottle or two a day.

Diet sodas are effectively zero calories, but studies are starting to show that many people who drink diet sodas regularly are paradoxically not better off. The reasons for this are still not well understood, and are not likely to be for some time. People with various food agendas are happy to spread F.U.D. in the meantime.

The best strategy is to limit diet sodas and find alternatives, and be very diligent about what you eat otherwise. You may realize that sodas are a trigger for you to eat more snacks, and that would be a good reason to cut back.

Ultimately, if you're honest with yourself about how much you're eating and your calorie intake vs. expenditure, you can establish a routine that meets your goals.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Diet soda is fine and will not harm your weight loss efforts. You can have regular soda, too, if it fits within your calorie goals. I go for diet, because I prefer to chew my calories. Unless it's alcohol.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    No soda is good or bad, it just "is". I have been fat while drinking diet soda and I have been slim while drinking diet soda. The soda isn't the issue, the number of calories I consume overall compared to the number of calories I burn overall is the issue.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    They don't offer much in the way of nutrition at all. They contribute some sodium and well that's about it. Okay, well depending on the diet soda they add water, caffeine, and sodium (and that's in order of quantity in my Diet Mtn Dew...yes there is more caffeine in it than there is sodium).

The sodium in a can of soda is minimal (except club soda, but who drinks that without some booze added?) you get almost as much sodium if you use a water softener in your home and drink tap water.

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member

I heard that if you don't drink them you will die.
  • ncboiler89
    edited May 2015
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I also heard the survival rate for everyone is zero.

On a long enough timeline of course.
  • Sued0nim
    What's FUD?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

What's wrong with soda? I personally don't like most of it very well, but I'll occasionally have a diet 7up. I do love Zevia and drink it often.

No food is good or bad, everything in moderation- unless you have a medical issue prohibiting some kind of food or drink, or you are intolerant.
  • ncboiler89
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What's FUD?

Looney Tunes character. Nemesis of Bugs Bunny.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

Oh no.......

I've heard that people who don't drink soda will die as well. :D
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    What's FUD?
    Elmer's evil twin?

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    What do animals drink? That's what you should drink
  • Sued0nim

What? Puddles?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Soda, diet or regular, is not bad for you.
  • Sued0nim
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    What's FUD?

Looney Tunes character. Nemesis of Bugs Bunny.
    What's FUD?
    Elmer's evil twin?

Smacks heads together ...I'm that kind of wascally wabbit

:bigsmile:
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

What? Puddles?

Ponds that other animals have pooped in?

• fat2fitshley
    fat2fitshley Posts: 50 Member
    Soda isn't good for you, regular or diet because it really provides no nutritional benefit... But it's also not bad for you and as long as you can fit it in your calorie goal it's not a big deal IMO. I will say be careful with the artifical sweeteners, not everyone has issues with them but I personally get massive headaches and lose my hearing/vision when I consume them. I stick to the occasional (twice a month) regular coke because I really enjoy it. :)