Comment from coworker

Options
I'm sitting here at my desk this morning, drinking my unsweet tea, and coworker I barely know comes up and says "I never realized how fat you are."

Me: "Pardon me?"
Her: "You don't look nearly as fat when you're standing up."
=============================

I admit to being completely taken aback. How the flarks do I respond to this?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Um, wow! That is horrible. I don't think I would address it with her, I think I would address it with your boss and/or HR.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, that is incredibly rude.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I would say something like "Wow. Thank you for pointing that out. You have no idea how pleasant it is to hear that."
  • BuckyArden33
    BuckyArden33 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    punch to the face should fix it
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I would probably say "f*** you, b****."
    But I'm no southern belle ;)
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I would have to respond with, "Wow, I didn't realize what an a**hole you are." Continue drinking tea and enjoying being a decent person.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Wow, just wow.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    The simple response to that would have been "And I never realised how much of a p**ck you are.", but that moment has gone.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    punch to the face should fix it

I like this answer, but jessicapk probably has the better answer. Or, you could be a southern belle and just say "that's niiiiice." Next time you'll be ready, but hopefully there won't be a next time. I would actually report that to HR just to be a dick.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    I would have to respond with, "Wow, I didn't realize what an a**hole you are." Continue drinking tea and enjoying being a decent person.

THIS, Except said with a very matter-of-fact, disinterested voice. :smile:

Anyone who would make comments like that has their own serious issues going on, that are totally independent of you. Let it roll, and know you are a better person...
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    My response would be, "Have you looked in a mirror lately?"
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I would say that's odd because the same thing happened to me just now, I never realized how rude and nasty you are. And that is standing up or sitting down.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Something along the lines of,"Wow, I just never realized how much of an *kitten* you are! You don't seem like such an *kitten* when you're sitting down at your desk, and not at mine!"
  • Diondk
    Diondk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hit him in his face.. the ***Hole
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    OMG, how unkind!!!
  • jhard728
    jhard728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    2 words -- Human resources, 2 more words -- Unemployment line. Sounds like a real B!+(# to me, don't address it with her but do tell your human resources department. No need for you to get involved in work drama with shallow people who feel the need to talk horribly about others to try and make themselves feel better.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Um, wow! That is horrible. I don't think I would address it with her, I think I would address it with your boss and/or HR.

• killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Wtf? People actually say this kind of stuff to people? Expletives would have ensued.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Wow...That's so rude.
    "I'm fat. You're stupid. I can lose weight, but you'll still be stupid."
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm so sorry that happened to you. It was completely rude, uncalled for and hurtful. As to your coworker, I'd simply say, "That's an incredibly rude comment and I shall be reporting you to Human Resources". Then swagger (don't walk, actually swagger!) to your supervisor or HR directly to log a complaint. No one deserves to be treated so cruelly.