Coffee Help :(

Options
2»

Replies

• Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Have you tried the stevia mixed with sugar, it is called Purveia? It doesn't have the stevia after taste as much and it is much sweeter than plain sugar so you use way less. That is what I use in my coffee.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Try using a French press with a proper coffee; it is so good, you won’t need neither sugar nor creamer.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Wean down the sugar. How much do you put in right now? Decrease it half or quarter of a tsp at a time!

I went from having 3 tsp of sugar in my coffee to none (but I used flavored creamer), by cutting down a quarter tsp at a time. Didn't even notice until I was down to 1 tsp.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I am a coffee addict! I am really really really trying to cut down on my sugar intake and this is the one thing that I have not being able tO get rid of! And the worst part is I love my black coffee super sweet!!
    If I don't have my coffee I get so aggravated... :( i don't know what to do to get rid of this addiction!
    Any suggestions?!
    Helpppp!!!!
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    Splenda? Stevia?

I don't like it.. It has a weird taste

You have to take time to get used to it in the same way that people who drink regular soda get used to diet soda before it tastes acceptable.

Fun fact: Diet Coke is a different flavor, and would taste different than regular Coke even if they put sugar in it... it isn't actually the sweetener that makes it a different flavor. In fact, the New Coke flavor was just that - they took the Diet Coke flavor and put sugar in it instead of non-caloric sweeterners. New Coke and Diet Coke did better in taste testing, though nostalgia for Coke Classic and a small, but loud group of Coke Classic supporters convinced Coke to return to the original formula.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia in my tea because it tastes exactly like sugar. It's erythritol with just enough stevia extract so they can say it's stevia. No weird aftertaste and great in delicate teas so it should be fine in coffee. Kroger even has a store brand, which is great and cheap. I also agree with the poster who mentioned making BETTER coffee. A higher quality coffee might improve your whole situation.
  • launica20132013
    launica20132013 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Awesome suggestions! Will try each of them and see what works better for me!
  • jakbreckon
    jakbreckon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Could you try Vanilla unsweetened almond milk? Or cashew milk? I used to use the creamers and that is what I use now. Maybe some milk with less sugar would help?
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love coffee! Or maybe I love coffee flavored cream.

Anyway, I drink mine with half and half (switched from heavy cream). I have 3 mugs per day, but I bought smaller mugs so I feel like I'm still getting my 3 cups a day in, but I'm drinking a lot less than I did when the mugs were bigger. I prefer about 3 T cream, but now I use 1 per mug. The smaller mugs help with that, too.

When I brew coffee, I put a dash of vanilla extract and a couple shakes of cinnamon in the grounds. It gives the coffee a nice flavor and sweetness. Perhaps when you're cutting down on the sugar amount, trying something like that might help.

I don't eat artificial sweeteners and I think stevia tastes like Dawn dish soap. Sugar doesn't actually have that many calories so you may find you can fit those calories into your day. Honey is sweeter than sugar, I think. You might try using a bit of that in your coffee instead.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I'm not messing around with mi cafe... Although I did lower the amount of azucar to 2-3 tsp per cup of coffee. Any lower and I'll kill my stomach. :drinker:
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I used to drink my coffee super sweet as well. I just slowly started reducing how many sugar packages I used per cup, started brewing my own good coffee at work with an Aeropress instead of drinking the horrible (horrible!) coffee we had at work, and eventually I got myself down to just one packet of Splenda per cup.
  • snivilis
    snivilis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My friend and I are coffee addicts. She used to drink 30 cups of coffee a day. Now she is down to two. I drink between 2~6 every day. I used to put lots of sugar in my black tea and coffee but when I went to Russia for 4 months I drank lots of black tea (Russia is so cold~ :( ) and had to pay for the sugar and gave it up. Now I can't stand sugar in my coffee. I recommend slowly cutting down on the sugar. Think of it as a 2-3 week process not a right away thing. Instead of using a prepackaged sweetener, leave a bit on the bottom of the package and trow it away right away. Slowly lower the amount every 2~3 days. That gives you enough time to get used to it. Or, if you drink black tea as well, stop putting sugar in it. When you get used to the bitterness of that, it will be easier to get used to the coffee. I have milk in mine to delude a bit of the bitterness but no sweeteners.

• pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I drink mine with a tablespoon or two of half and half and two packs of sweet and low. Not the best but it doesn't completely kill my diet.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am a coffee addict! I am really really really trying to cut down on my sugar intake and this is the one thing that I have not being able tO get rid of! And the worst part is I love my black coffee super sweet!!
    If I don't have my coffee I get so aggravated... :( i don't know what to do to get rid of this addiction!
    Any suggestions?!
    Helpppp!!!!

I used to drink my coffee really sweet. It was the only way I would drink my coffee, milky, super sweet. Once I started trying out new foods as a part of my "lifestyle change" I started to appreciate different blends and types of coffees.

I went from milky frappe Starbucks type milkshakes (Starbucks frappes are practically just sugary coffee flavoured milkshakes), to sugary caffe lattes, to low fat caffe lattes, to low fat caffe lattes with one equal. From there I started trying out new types of coffees and appreciating the quality and taste of coffees from macchiatos to long blacks (basically double shot americanos), to piccolos and cortados.
    I now enjoy a range of coffees but stick to a good quality non-fat cortado on its own with no sugar, or if I'm craving something sweet, with one equal. Occasionally I'll have it with a tsp of raw sugar. It's a smaller cup, it fulfills my craving for a creamy coffee and I always make sure it's from good quality cafes - no Starbucks or diner coffees because they have crap quality coffees.

It also helps if you try other ethics coffees - they make really satisfying coffees with great flavours that don't need to be drowned in sugar to be palatable! Try Arabic/Indian cardomom flavoured black coffee, its strong, in smaller cups and don't need much sugar at all! :-)
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a ton of coffee with milk and sweetener. Added up to a few hundred calories a day. Now I brew Pete's espresso forte in a french press. WAY better coffee, and I like it piping hot and black. YUM. It isn't REALLY espresso, but it is a great cup of coffee. Plus it smells like heaven. You might try different types of quality beans until you find a brew you love. For me it made all the difference!

There really is no magic answer for you...if you want to cut the sugar then you cut the sugar :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    It is likely the harsh, acrid bitterness you dislike rather than a preference for adding a ton of sugar. Bad coffee tastes bad to anyone, regardless of how developed or immature their palate is.

The trick is knowing how to brew good coffee...

I just have to point out this point. Holy moly!

I hate hate hate bitter things. For the longest time that included coffee, dark chocolate, grapefruits, etc.

Turns out, i actually REALLY enjoy coffee when it is made... the RIGHT way. Not the black-sludge office edition. ;)

As for the OP, i suggest that you use a sugar replacement and deal with the taste, or deal with the high amount of sugar you're using. You can't want to change but refuse to make any changes! I wish you luck!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I like using flavored creamers. Couple tablespoons is less than 100 calories and I get to enjoy my coffee every day still. I've just built it into my daily meal prep. Makes life easier and also saved me from my daily starbucks habits