Comment from coworker

Options

Replies

• Harleyb87
    Harleyb87 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I would of said I never realized how unpleasant and unprofessional you are. Your much better off when your not opening your mouth
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    My response would be, "Have you looked in a mirror lately?"
    I like that one! Next time you see her, you may want to give her an inquisitive look, then kind of lightly shake your head and say "You know ... your comment the other day ... at least I can lose weight. I don't think there's gonna be an easy fix for "ugly"". Or something like that.

I don't know if this is a thing you should address with your boss/HR unless it becomes harassment. Usually comments like that mask some sort of jealously. Is she bigger than you? Are you above her in the hierarchy, or maybe more productive?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    What kind of place do you work at where people would think that is okay to say? That is so incredibly rude and unprofessional...seriously, if it was my department I would fire an employee who said something like that. Talk about creating a hostile work environment! Even at my heaviest weight, and I was definitely obese, nobody ever actually said anything about it at work... or socially. Most adults, regardless of what they might be thinking, would never say that type of thing.

I have no idea what I would have said. I might have been stunned into speechlessness. Or I might have snapped back "and I never realized what an ill-bred @sshole you are".
  • RuefulRabbit
    RuefulRabbit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So twenty minutes later, I've decided to take the moral high-ground. I am going to ignore this person (other than the interaction I must have with her for work), and take it as motivation to keep up with my plan to lose weight and get healthier.

Unfortunately for making an HR complaint, being fat isn't a protected status.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't go start something with this person now - just be ready if something is said again. I especially like the "I can lose weight, but you'll still be an ignorant douche" type of comment. :expressionless:
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    So twenty minutes later, I've decided to take the moral high-ground. I am going to ignore this person (other than the interaction I must have with her for work), and take it as motivation to keep up with my plan to lose weight and get healthier.

Great mindset!
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Say something to your boss then. It's clearly inappropriate unprofessional behavior.
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    But unprofessionalism should be called out to HR anyway. This person should not be in a work environment at all.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

But a hostile work environment is unacceptable and they have to protect against that.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I'd be going to HR.
    You don't know it won't be taken care of until you speak to someone.

Yes, it's great to use it as motivation, but by not addressing it sends a message that it's ok, and it isn't ok.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

You don't need to be a member of a protected group to report completely inappropriate and hostile workplace behavior to HR.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    I would have to respond with, "Wow, I didn't realize what an a**hole you are." Continue drinking tea and enjoying being a decent person.

This and then report it to HR because that is VERY unprofessional and VERY rude! This person needs to be reprimanded!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options

It might not be a protected status but its documentation should this ever escalate into harassment or bullying. I would lodge the complaint with HR and then forget about it. Its rude. And rudeness in the workplace should never be tolerated. Its meant to diminish you and that is technically harassment. Its not enough to get her more than a talking to but its still worth addressing...

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

But bullying, harrassment and undermining is. Totally unacceptable behaviour. I hope you don't let one a*hole ruin your day.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Don't say anything, email or speak to HR. that is completely unacceptable business behavior
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Bullying and harassment is. Go to HR.
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Making you feel uncomfortable in the workplace is not acceptable.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Go to her later and say, "I never realized how dry you are." and pour tea on her head.
    pouring-tea-o.gif
  • ebonihodge
    ebonihodge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    I would have to respond with, "Wow, I didn't realize what an a**hole you are." Continue drinking tea and enjoying being a decent person.

This would so be my response with a low B*&ch at the end and maybe a "Yo Momma"! The nerve of people! Then I would do a grievance with HR.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think this depends on your relationship with your co-worker before she made the comment.

If you two are typically friendly, then consider that some times people make mean spirited jabs in the name of fun, not realizing that it might hurt your feelings. If you two had a pretty good rapport before this, perhaps you can just let them know that the comment was hurtful to you and you might be surprised that they are shocked to hear it.

If it's someone that you do not have the best rapport with, then you should deal with it directly first. Tell the person that what they said was inappropriate and unacceptable and that they should refrain from making personal comments in the future.

After that if it continues, and it is affecting your work, go to HR.