Indulgence = Mental Breakthrough

Options
Last night I hung out with some friends (I made dinner: healthy). We put on a movie and painted to a theme (I was terrible but it was awesome) and then we dragged our butts to the theatre at 10pm to watch Pitch Perfect 2 wherein I ate a bag of (small) popcorn, 2 peanut butter cups, and half a mounds bar. And you know what?

It was totally OK.

I ended up about 300 calories over my goal for the day. It was the first day in maybe two weeks that I've eaten back all my exercise calories (and then some). I ate healthy throughout the day. I went to the gym. We walked to the theater and back. I got a small popcorn without butter instead of the large with butter (even if we would have shared the large, I couldn't have seen just how much I was eating...i.e. most of it). I logged everything, choosing the higher calorie count options if there was multiple options.

I had a blast. I've hung out with these friends on days when I was within all my counts and still had a blast but last night was just so much fun.

Maybe most important is that I realized that for the first time I really, honestly believe I can do this for the rest of my life. I can have a night like last night without feeling like I've "cheated" and undone all my hard work. There are hard days, it's a definite struggle. I'm only 14 pounds down, I've got 25 more to go before re-evaluation. But it's a very, very good start for the way I want to live the rest of my life. I have never before felt this way when I've been dieting. Even when I was 100 pounds heavier and lost (and kept) that off, it still felt like I was waiting every day for it to creep back on.

I got up this morning and went to the gym. For the first time I hit 5 miles during my allotted time--at the resistance I've been upping since I started to push to be healthier. 30 days ago I was doing maybe 3 miles on a good day. I've gotten stronger, both in body and in mind.

And it feels great.

Replies

• Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • Myweightlossdiary
    Myweightlossdiary Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is great! I am so proud of you for posting this and for taking that step to make a LIFESTYLE change. I truly believe that losing weight and keeping it off has more to do with one's psychological mindset than anything else! Way to go for that mental breakthrough! I'm so glad you are my friend because posts like this help me focus as well. Keep it up! Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This is great! I am so proud of you for posting this and for taking that step to make a LIFESTYLE change. I truly believe that losing weight and keeping it off has more to do with one's psychological mindset than anything else! Way to go for that mental breakthrough! I'm so glad you are my friend because posts like this help me focus as well. Keep it up! Thanks for sharing :smile:

Thank you! I am so excited to make this change and so glad that I have MFP friends to help support me, on the good days and the bad. I really expected to wake up this morning feeling bad about the choices I'd made last night--even though I had such a good time. It was such a revelation to not feel that guilt or terribleness when I got up! We can absolutely do this.
  • JTmom2015
    JTmom2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is a couple weeks old, but I just had a day like that today! I've been craving an ice cream sundae for weeks and I finally just went and got one. I'll go over a little but on my calories today, but I don't mind! I've also lost 14 lbs and have about 20 more to go, so I relate! I'm glad you're in the same boat. :-) It feels great!
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    JTmom2015 wrote: »
    This is a couple weeks old, but I just had a day like that today! I've been craving an ice cream sundae for weeks and I finally just went and got one. I'll go over a little but on my calories today, but I don't mind! I've also lost 14 lbs and have about 20 more to go, so I relate! I'm glad you're in the same boat. :-) It feels great!

It really does! I've lost another 6 pounds and a bit since I posted this and still feel the same way. Loving it.