Reached my goal and now it's time to maintain..I'm a little nervous about it!

2»

Replies

• lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    ^^^^^^ you are doing great!!! I grew up in Mass. My sis still lives in Waltham Mass.
    As you lose you adjust the calories you eat...eventually you find that "magic"number to maintain...but it is not easy...lol

Thanks!!!
  • amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    I just reached my goal weight today. I'm 5'7", 39 years old, and now weigh 128. I know that sounds light, but I have a VERY small frame and gain weight in my middle, so this is the high range of where I feel I look good. Every week I figure skate 4-5 times for 60 minutes each (I do jumps and spins - it's a good workout), dance 60 minutes and do strength training for 60 minutes (I'm trying to up this). I'm figuring maintenance for me is going to be about 1800 calories plus eating back most of my exercise calories - so maybe averaging about 2300 net a day. I've done the TDEE calculators and they have me somewhere between 2100-2300. MFP puts me at 1535 plus exercise to maintain, but I've been eating a little more than that and losing (my calories are set to 1390 right now plus exercise, but I haven't been meeting it that often the last few weeks. Close, though).

I'm going to up my calories to 1490 for a week, then 1590, then 1690, as others have recommended and see how it goes. I only had 10 pounds to lose, so I don't want to gain back ANYTHING or be in a five-pound range. I might have to lose a little more, because a range is more realistic.

I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed at being at my gw.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    if you seem to be maintaining, you're probably at a good weight. Up by 250 calories and see what happens over a few weeks. You can't gain much in that time.

I would follow your appetite, though. I log EVERYTHING. But I also have gotten very good at following my appetite - I found that the log is really helpful for macros - very useful in maintenance - and to give myself permission to eat when I feel like I shouldn't but am hungry. I look at my log and say - oh, lots of calories left.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    amyf2000 wrote: »
    I just reached my goal weight today. I'm 5'7", 39 years old, and now weigh 128. I know that sounds light, but I have a VERY small frame and gain weight in my middle, so this is the high range of where I feel I look good. Every week I figure skate 4-5 times for 60 minutes each (I do jumps and spins - it's a good workout), dance 60 minutes and do strength training for 60 minutes (I'm trying to up this). I'm figuring maintenance for me is going to be about 1800 calories plus eating back most of my exercise calories - so maybe averaging about 2300 net a day. I've done the TDEE calculators and they have me somewhere between 2100-2300. MFP puts me at 1535 plus exercise to maintain, but I've been eating a little more than that and losing (my calories are set to 1390 right now plus exercise, but I haven't been meeting it that often the last few weeks. Close, though).

I'm going to up my calories to 1490 for a week, then 1590, then 1690, as others have recommended and see how it goes. I only had 10 pounds to lose, so I don't want to gain back ANYTHING or be in a five-pound range. I might have to lose a little more, because a range is more realistic.

I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed at being at my gw.

And congratulations!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2015
    My TDEE says about 1900 something..I can't remember exactly.
    I run on the treadmill at 5.5-7.0 speed for 80 minutes 3 days a week and then 2 days I do a workout video that is 60 minutes a day and is cardio with some weights and then I run up and down my stairs for 25 minutes after that.

1900 doesn't sound high...you're just used to looking at 1250 or whatever. My wife is 5'2" and 40 she's a runner primarily but also spends a few days per week in the weight room...she maintains around 2300 calories per day.

You'll want to transition though...up your calories over the coming weeks rather than just jumping from a paltry 1250 to 1900...this will give you metabolism time to adjust. You've been dieting for awhile, so your metabolism has adapted downwards somewhat...as you increase your calories, it will start firing again. Be prepared to start feeling way hungrier than normal when it does.

When I went to maintenance I was pretty well convinced I wouldn't be able to eat more than 2300 - 2400 calories per day or so given what was going on with my 2100 calorie intake...well, I actually maintain on roughly 3000.