World Science Festival

Options
crazyjerseygirl
crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
if you live in or near NYC the good folks over at the World Science festival are having a talk called "Scientific Kitchen: Hard to Swallow"
From the site:
aleo? Gluten free? Juice cleanse? Want some kale chips with that chia seed burger? Perhaps only in America are food choices so often based on trends. The latest obsession: getting the correct amount of bacteria in our microbiomes. But despite it all, Americans’ diets have never been less nutritious. Which of these trends is based on solid science, and which on pseudoscience and marketing? This program, part of our Scientific Kitchen series, looks to science to help separate the facts from the hype. Join Pulitzer Prize winner Michael Moss (Salt Sugar Fat), author Catherine Price (Vitamania), and leading medical experts for a generous helping of reality about our diets.

The link:
http://www.worldsciencefestival.com/programs/scientific-kitchen-hard-swallow/?promo=WSFWSF

Also, wise mods, may I cross post this in the Food&Nutrition threads?

ETA: I am not affiliated with the festival in any way except that I occasionally attend. Just posting as I felt it was relative to interests here!

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    9nebk6741lhm.gif

That's just me aaaaalllll day
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wish I was closer to NYC! This is right up my nerdy alley.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    But despite it all, Americans’ diets have never been less nutritious
    Not a surprise in the slightest. :smile:
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Science is dumb.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    ...Paleo? Gluten free? Juice cleanse? Want some kale chips with that chia seed burger? ...Which of these trends is based on solid science, and which on pseudoscience and marketing?

OH OH OH!!! I Know this one... All of them = Pseudoscience o.O
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Science is dumb.

I think I just switched to lesbian :P
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    ...Paleo? Gluten free? Juice cleanse? Want some kale chips with that chia seed burger? ...Which of these trends is based on solid science, and which on pseudoscience and marketing?

OH OH OH!!! I Know this one... All of them = Pseudoscience o.O

I assume they will talk about things like celiacs where gluten free is legit and yeah so much BS
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    klwells08 wrote: »

Your pic says otherwise ;)
  • klwells08
    Options

Unfortunately, I was only there for work. It was one of my bucket list items to skate at Rockefeller (former figure skater), so I conned a coworker into going with me!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options

Unfortunately, I was only there for work. It was one of my bucket list items to skate at Rockefeller (former figure skater), so I conned a coworker into going with me!
    Lovely!! Like a good local I've never been, but I feel like I should take know?

Of course it would help if I could skate....
  • klwells08
    Options
    It was worth it to check the list, but it is a ridiculously small rink with ridiculously high prices for a public session! Skating is easy (and a good work out) just start out with baby steps (literally, tiny little steps).
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

I was thinking the exact same thing (all while eating my homemade sweet potato chips with some guacamole).