It's not that hard..

Options

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Agree. I've lost around 65 lbs and it wasn't that hard. I hit several plateaus, but that never stopped me because I found a way of life that I enjoy -- eating well and training hard.
  • kaitcxlv
    kaitcxlv Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    "It's really not that hard."

It is "that hard", and you are undercutting the work you put into losing the weight :)

I get irritated when people say how luck I am to be able to lose weight. B*thc please, luck had nothing to do with it. Walking 4-8 miles a day, coupled with running 9 miles a week and eating less does.

This for sure!
    I'm happy for your success OP, but everyone faces different challenges. To make generalizations like "it isn't THAT hard" is a completely unfair blanket statement. Many people face physical and emotional challenges or illnesses, some of which even go unrecognized. Generalizations of this nature can be a huge set back for some readers who believe they should be having quicker success.

I know some people will read this and say/think "suck it up, do better, work harder". For some it's simply not that easy.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I agree... I mean it takes work, willpower and dedication, but if you are ready and willing then it doesn't feel that hard (to me!). I actually get annoyed because my whole life I've heard how hard it was to lose weight, and it was always portrayed to me as being so hard, it was practically impossible. It wasn't until I grew up, and moved away that I realised that it simply just meant eating less than I burned, and didn't require intense workouts, or starving yourself with only lettuce for months. If I'd known/realised that I could do it earlier, I might have tried to lose weight before now. For me, the rhetoric about it being so hard simply made me not want to try, and sadly, I think that's the case for a lot of people.

I agree and that is why threads like this are important. Sure, some people may take offense and I'm not saying what is right or better or whatever. But, if weight loss was presented in a more positive light and more people spoke up about how it wasn't that hard after all, maybe it would help more people?
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well, I would say that losing the weight was easier than I'd expected thanks to the MFP tools.
    Congratulations on your inspiring success and best wishes as you continue on your journey.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I agree... I mean it takes work, willpower and dedication, but if you are ready and willing then it doesn't feel that hard (to me!). I actually get annoyed because my whole life I've heard how hard it was to lose weight, and it was always portrayed to me as being so hard, it was practically impossible. It wasn't until I grew up, and moved away that I realised that it simply just meant eating less than I burned, and didn't require intense workouts, or starving yourself with only lettuce for months. If I'd known/realised that I could do it earlier, I might have tried to lose weight before now. For me, the rhetoric about it being so hard simply made me not want to try, and sadly, I think that's the case for a lot of people.

I agree and that is why threads like this are important. Sure, some people may take offense and I'm not saying what is right or better or whatever. But, if weight loss was presented in a more positive light and more people spoke up about how it wasn't that hard after all, maybe it would help more people?

Well said, both of you. Thanks.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i found it pretty quick and easy too.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

It's almost like there's a multibillion dollar industry built on telling people it's hard :D It is definitely not as hard as replacing meals with slim fast or weirdly restricting foods or anything I was doing on previous attempts, when I would lose 5-10 pounds in 3 or 4 weeks and then go completely off the rails. Eating enough calories makes everything easier.
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I haven't been finding it that bad first few weeks were abit dicey just adjusting to the calories from gaining weight(gained too much bodyfat). My metabolism has slowed dramatically and its not really an effort to stick within my calories anymore.
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    At one point, I did agree. But now, one year and 70lbs later, I'm struggling. I have better knowledge and habits but my food issues and addiction haven't gone away.
  • MenonWaves
    MenonWaves Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's not food addictions or undoing bad habits - it's working my butt off and not seeing results while people around me are saying "It's so easy!" If it's that easy why isn't it coming off, then? I don't know how I can exercise more and eat less than I already am. I already feel physically ill most days.

But, hey, congrats to those of you who are just whizzing through this with no pain, headaches, etc. Nice to know some people have it so easy.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think how hard it is depends on what your habits were before you started. It can be a bigger adjustment for some than others. In short, if you can figure out how to make it pleasant, I don't think it's a difficult process. For me, that means figuring out how to fit in treats and continue eating the foods I like.

For me, it's not that hard. I cooked pretty much all my own meals before I started on MFP anyway, so that was no adjustment. I actually indulge more than before I started counting too, and without any guilt, so that's pretty awesome. At the beginning, I didn't like exercising, but since a health scare was what got me started here, it was easy to make myself. Now, I enjoy the benefits of improved fitness, and I know I will feel good after my work out. I do sometimes overindulge and not make my calorie goal, sometimes I do flake on my workouts, and as I'm getting into the last few pounds of loss it is more difficult, but I still think overall it is quite a simple process once you figure out what works for you. Edit: and one of the big things: I think it is easier if you are less restrictive (this relates to what I mean by "figuring out how to make it pleasant"). If you are unhappy, hungry all the time, or feeling deprived, it will definitely not be easy. Also, having realistic goals/expectations is huge.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Put another way, and something that has happened to me twice, actually what made me post the topic - One of your friends comments about your weight loss and asks you how you did it? Was it hard? Do you think I could do it?

Answer A) Sure you can do it. It isn't as hard as you might think. I'd be glad to help you get started if you like.

Answer B) You can do it but it's really hard. You have to be dedicated, conscious of what you eat, fight your cravings, increase your exercise and be really patient. It was hard work for me to lose the weight I did and I really had to work at it.

Which answer might inspire them to give it a go?

When I first started I didn't really think it would work. I imagined eating an egg and half a piece of toast for breakfast and having to work out a lot. By "easy" I meant WAY easier than I would have thought! Do I "dumb it down" a little to get someone interested? Yup
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Who knew B ) = B) ? Not me
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    pap3rw1ngs wrote: »
    At one point, I did agree. But now, one year and 70lbs later, I'm struggling. I have better knowledge and habits but my food issues and addiction haven't gone away.

Yeah--I don't consider it addiction, but it's common for it to seem easy for a while and then something to come up that makes me remember why I don't always find it easy.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Put another way, and something that has happened to me twice, actually what made me post the topic - One of your friends comments about your weight loss and asks you how you did it? Was it hard? Do you think I could do it?

Answer A) Sure you can do it. It isn't as hard as you might think. I'd be glad to help you get started if you like.

Answer B) You can do it but it's really hard. You have to be dedicated, conscious of what you eat, fight your cravings, increase your exercise and be really patient. It was hard work for me to lose the weight I did and I really had to work at it.

Which answer might inspire them to give it a go?

When I first started I didn't really think it would work. I imagined eating an egg and half a piece of toast for breakfast and having to work out a lot. By "easy" I meant WAY easier than I would have thought! Do I "dumb it down" a little to get someone interested? Yup

I like answer A much better.If you make losing weight sound fun (and easy), more people would be inclined to do it.

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Considering 95% of people regain the weight they lose by the 5 year mark, I would say you're counting your chickens before they hatch. So sorry that people compliment you on your weight loss. It must be awful.
  • MenonWaves
    MenonWaves Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's not that hard if you don't have a life. If you are losing weight to have a social life, a relationship, to enjoy more activities, giving up 4 hours a day exercising is no big deal. I am giving up social activities and time I spend with family and friends to fit in those four hours in addition to working a full time job and spending at least six hours a night trying to start my own business and the daily practicing, writing and recording that comes with being a musician. I don't even meet my caloric intake (I'm usually a about 700-900) in trying to schedule meals around when I can work out and everything else I do. I even canceled my vacation because the hotel where usually stay has closed their gym for renovations and everything else is now booked.

Yes, this is so easy...

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MenonWaves wrote: »
    It's not that hard if you don't have a life. If you are losing weight to have a social life, a relationship, to enjoy more activities, giving up 4 hours a day exercising is no big deal. I am giving up social activities and time I spend with family and friends to fit in those four hours in addition to working a full time job and spending at least six hours a night trying to start my own business and the daily practicing, writing and recording that comes with being a musician. I don't even meet my caloric intake (I'm usually a about 700-900) in trying to schedule meals around when I can work out and everything else I do. I even canceled my vacation because the hotel where usually stay has closed their gym for renovations and everything else is now booked.

Yes, this is so easy...

Uh, you don't need to (and shouldn't) be working out that much, especially when you're not eating enough. Moderation and figuring out how to make this sustainable is a good place to start...
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's not hard. The method is really straight forward and quite simple to understand. Applying it is the hard part and being consistent. It's much easier to fall off track than staying on track.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Congratz!

It's all about mentality. I had a huge crutch for emotional eating. It got worse when I had kids. I'd look for any excuse to run for the pantry. Weight loss is easy but the mind will cut you down every time. You have to have the mental strength to balance being healthy and losing weight, balancing fitting what you love with sacrifice for that deficit and meeting your nutrient goals for health. It took me so many years to come out of a mental slump and excuses. Plus, the big quagmire that the fitness industry is I always believed sugar was why I was fat and not overconsumption. Or fast food. Sure, those things can be calorie ridden but put into moderation and a sensible diet, it can fit.

MFP took the mystery away.

Now I get the same reaction and I just leave it be
    Don't dismiss your success. It IS hard but those that overcome taste the victory of it.