Steak. Why so much?

Options
I'm so mad at the fact that the tiny little steak I will eat tonight is over 800 cals. I'm weighing before cooking (with the fat included) and it's .89 pounds = 14.24 oz. Can I just weigh after cooking and after cutting the fat out?? Or is this my life now??

I eat a lot of meat :(

Replies

• Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Turkey steaks I have regularly and they are way less calories
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Chewitz wrote: »

Yes but Turkey is most definitely not beef.

14oz is far more steak than I could eat in one sitting though.
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You may just want to cut down to single portion sizes. You can still have steak, just not an entire family's steak.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    tanowicki wrote: »
    You may just want to cut down to single portion sizes. You can still have steak, just not an entire family's steak.

I wish I could post a picture of it guys (I mean I can, but eh too lazy). This thing is not that big. I'm wondering if maybe I can ask my husband to get the smallest ones he can find for me (because he would laugh in my face if I suggested he get smaller steaks for him). We also only eat steak once a week though.. so I'm not too worried about it. I guess it's my first time ever logging steak. I do like the carb number though ;)
  • abetterluke
    Options
    tanowicki wrote: »

I wish I could post a picture of it guys (I mean I can, but eh too lazy). This thing is not that big. I'm wondering if maybe I can ask my husband to get the smallest ones he can find for me (because he would laugh in my face if I suggested he get smaller steaks for him). We also only eat steak once a week though.. so I'm not too worried about it. I guess it's my first time ever logging steak. I do like the carb number though ;)

A 14oz steak should be pretty large. Are you sure you are weighing it correctly? Does your scale have a tare function and if so did you use it?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    psssh. I'd eat half and load up on veggies and a nice glass of red wine.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    14 oz steak is big. Last time I ate at a steak house and they asked if I wanted a 9 oz or a 12 oz. I choice a 9 oz and that seemed like more than plenty to me.
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Oh I didn't realise

Learn something new everyday
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    14 oz steak is big. Last time I ate at a steak house and they asked if I wanted a 9 oz or a 12 oz. I choice a 9 oz and that seemed like more than plenty to me.

But usually restaurants give you a steak without all the fat, no?? I'm wondering if maybe it's just the fat that's making it weigh so much? I went off the number on the packaging btw. Husband is already cooking it so too late to weigh it on the scale.

@abetterluke

• abetterluke
    Options

Oh I didn't realise

Learn something new everyday

Glad I could be of service. I really enjoy opening up tasty new worlds to people. :smiley:
  • abetterluke
    Options

But usually restaurants give you a steak without all the fat, no?? I'm wondering if maybe it's just the fat that's making it weigh so much? I went off the number on the packaging btw. Husband is already cooking it so too late to weigh it on the scale.

@abetterluke

Number on the package could be wrong. As for the fat I'm not sure...Most of the restaurants I've ordered steak in leave the fat on as far as I can remember. You could certainly cut off the fat and weight it afterward.

But really...if it looks small (and I know that's subjective) but it says 14oz it might just be that you're getting ripped off at the grocery store. 14oz is a pretty good sized steak.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    If you check google images for "14oz steak" almost all of the pics look like this:

l.jpg
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Geeze 14oz? I eat friggin everything in sight all the time and even I would have a hard time with 14oz of steak. I usually go for 8oz when I am in "hungry mode"
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you check google images for "14oz steak" almost all of the pics look like this:

l.jpg

3x3enb9v329z.jpg

• abetterluke
    Options

l.jpg

3x3enb9v329z.jpg

I thought the same thing. Almost texted my wife "want steak for dinner?"
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Any time I cook steak, I always cut off as much fat as I can before I weigh it because I don't eat the fat and I don't want to be overstating my calories.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    800 calories for a 14 ounce steak seems right. 4 ounces can usually run you 200-300 calories minimum, depending on the cut.
    Also, weighing it after cooking it will not cut the calories by much. It will shrink down due to water/fluid loss through cooking, but the calories are still there.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    You could aim for a leaner cut of steak, but that's about it as far as options. Still, 14oz is a good size. I don't tend to eat more than a pound of meat at any one time (and that's rare).
  • regraves
    regraves Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Might want to consider the type of steak you are using and consider switching to a leaner cut.

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/the-leanest-and-fattiest-cuts-of-steak
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    It's all about the cut - some areas of the cow are more marbled with fat. Eye round and tenderloin are usually the "skinniest" cuts vs tri-tip or top-loin. You do NOT need to cut out beef. Just make the choices of it based on your calories.