Steak. Why so much?

Options

Replies

• LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    800 calories for a 14 ounce steak seems right. 4 ounces can usually run you 200-300 calories minimum, depending on the cut.
    Also, weighing it after cooking it will not cut the calories by much. It will shrink down due to water/fluid loss through cooking, but the calories are still there.

So I can definitely cut off the fat and weigh it again after cooking it?? And the calories will still be pretty acurate??

Now that I see a picture.. it is a pretty big steak I am eating and have been eating before I started MFP. Maybe I just didn't realize how big they were before because I wasn't paying attention to what I was eating.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    800 calories for a 14 ounce steak seems right. 4 ounces can usually run you 200-300 calories minimum, depending on the cut.
    Also, weighing it after cooking it will not cut the calories by much. It will shrink down due to water/fluid loss through cooking, but the calories are still there.

So I can definitely cut off the fat and weigh it again after cooking it?? And the calories will still be pretty acurate??

Now that I see a picture.. it is a pretty big steak I am eating and have been eating before I started MFP. Maybe I just didn't realize how big they were before because I wasn't paying attention to what I was eating.

If you are going to weigh it after cooking it, make sure you choose a cooked entry. I personally only weigh my meat raw, after I've prepared it.

Cutting off the fat is not going to make much of a difference either, if your piece isn't too fatty. 1 gram of fat is 9 calories, so substract that weight in grams from the weight of the steak, and from the total calories of your piece. The fat is the best part though, and helps add flavor to it while it cooks.

I'd just cut the steak in half, and have two servings of it for today and lunch tomorrow. 400 calories for a piece of steak won't set you back too much, and you'll still get a good serving of protein.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The first time I ate at a restaurant while on mfp it was lunch and I had steak and salad (spinach, a bit of goat cheese, cherry tomatoes and a splash balsamic vinegar). No drinks, no dessert, yes black coffee. I walked out darn proud. I was good at eyeballing portions by then, so I got to the hotel and logged it all... logged the 350 g (12 oz) of steak... BAM!!! --I was over my cals for the day, lol. At 3 o' clock.

I, too, didn't expect it to be that many calories. Totally worth it, of course. But it WAS a shocker... so I get ya ;)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    14 oz is a TINY steak to you?

god damn. i wish i had your kind of grocery budget.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You'll need to use a "cooked" entry based on the cooked weight. It won't work right to use a raw entry but put in a cooked weight. If you google "calories in steak" it brings up the USDA options for different cuts and you can change the weights.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    regraves wrote: »
    Might want to consider the type of steak you are using and consider switching to a leaner cut.

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/the-leanest-and-fattiest-cuts-of-steak

Rib-eye steak (rib roast, prime rib)

The crème de la crème of steaks. Very marbled cut, which means it's flavorful and stays tender while cooking.

Yeah, that's the one. I'll let others have the lean cuts.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    14 oz is a TINY steak to you?

god damn. i wish i had your kind of grocery budget.

hahaha I thought the same thing
  • abetterluke
    Options
    The fat is the best part though, and helps add flavor to it while it cooks.

Totally disagree with this. Makes me want to vomit. Those chewy greasy chunks. Bleh.
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I cut mine in half and freeze the other part for another day. Make sure you pick the right entry for when you weight it. Ie before or after cooking.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Im with the woman who says 14 oz is a tiny steak! I regularly eat steaks that are 1.5 pounds. I just save up my calories and enjoy the heck out of it!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    The fat is the best part though, and helps add flavor to it while it cooks.

Totally disagree with this. Makes me want to vomit. Those chewy greasy chunks. Bleh.

I don't eat the fatty parts- blech, but I keep them
    on while cooking because it flavors and moisturizes the meat, and cut them off after cooking.
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    Im with the woman who says 14 oz is a tiny steak! I regularly eat steaks that are 1.5 pounds. I just save up my calories and enjoy the heck out of it!

Thank you!!!! ;) I love my steaks. And I'm definitely taking you guys' advice for tonight. I'll be eating half of it tonight and the other half tomorrow and see how I manage. I will be eating extra broccoli though to get the full feeling.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use to eat 16 ounce steaks before my diet now if I have one its 4-6 ounces. Would rather have a cup of mashed potatoes and veggies now
  • abetterluke
    Options

Thank you!!!! ;) I love my steaks. And I'm definitely taking you guys' advice for tonight. I'll be eating half of it tonight and the other half tomorrow and see how I manage. I will be eating extra broccoli though to get the full feeling.

Wait...you eat a 14oz steak and don't have "the full feeling"?!

• LolaKarwowski
    Options

Wait...you eat a 14oz steak and don't have "the full feeling"?!

Nope. I usually always want more!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    This is what I do:
    1) Cook it without weighing it.
    2) Cut off the fat.
    3) Weigh what's left (If it's a huge steak, I'll split it with my husband or save the rest for breakfast).
    4) Use an entry for steak that explicitly says "cooked". (Double check calorie count from another website.)
    5) Enjoy the juicy meat in my mouth.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I'm so mad at the fact that the tiny little steak I will eat tonight is over 800 cals. I'm weighing before cooking (with the fat included) and it's .89 pounds = 14.24 oz. Can I just weigh after cooking and after cutting the fat out?? Or is this my life now??

I eat a lot of meat :(

Tiny? I buy 500 grams of steak, which is about 18 oz, for the entire family to eat, which is me, husband, one teenager, two younger kids. Not because we are trying to lose weight, or avoid meat or whatever, because if we buy more we just have a lot of leftovers no one wants to eat once the steak is cold. You definitely can eat A LOT of meat at once!
  • ricardo510diaz
    ricardo510diaz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Cheaper cuts of steak are much lower in calories as they don't have the fat content to make them taste like an expensive steak. Rib Eyes, New Yorks, Porterhouses, and Filet Mignon are so delicious because they are insanely high in fat, thus insanely high in calories.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    tanowicki wrote: »
    You may just want to cut down to single portion sizes. You can still have steak, just not an entire family's steak.

I wish I could post a picture of it guys (I mean I can, but eh too lazy). This thing is not that big. I'm wondering if maybe I can ask my husband to get the smallest ones he can find for me (because he would laugh in my face if I suggested he get smaller steaks for him). We also only eat steak once a week though.. so I'm not too worried about it. I guess it's my first time ever logging steak. I do like the carb number though ;)

A 14oz steak should be pretty large. Are you sure you are weighing it correctly? Does your scale have a tare function and if so did you use it?
    I just bought strip loins and was weighing before freezing. The SMALLEST one was 11.2oz. I cut that in1/2 for my own dinners. The "man size" one I kept aside for my hubs was 14.86oz. I had weighed that one just out of curiosity. He enjoyed and finished every single bite + mushrooms and a large salad. Steak weighs more than you think it does if you're just eyeballing it

• Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    regraves wrote: »
    Might want to consider the type of steak you are using and consider switching to a leaner cut.

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/the-leanest-and-fattiest-cuts-of-steak

Rib-eye steak (rib roast, prime rib)

The crème de la crème of steaks. Very marbled cut, which means it's flavorful and stays tender while cooking.

Yeah, that's the one. I'll let others have the lean cuts.

Got one of those in the fridge right now to go on the barbecue tomorrow.

My favourite and I concur about letting others have the leaner.