Am I the only one who doesn't count or measure?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    no youre not the only person, there will come a time you will need to do so though.

Why? I don't think it's going to happen, lol

There's no reason it should have to.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Again, I was not saying counting is bad..I was simply asking if anyone else doesn't
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    It's working for you so keep doing what is working... If that fails at some point, join the crowd...

The scale didn't move much for me until I started keeping score... So I doubt your method will ever work here, but hey, we are all different. Keep moving forward!!
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    reading the boards I sometimes feel as though I am the only one who does not count calories or measure my food. I mean I know about how many calories I eat daily but I have never really counted and I never measure or weigh my food. I am not criticizing those who do, we all have our own journeys but I just feel like I'm in the minority.

I measure and weigh and estimate. Im sure Im off with about 100 to 150 calories per day, give or take but Im losing 1-2 pounds per week so clearly it's still working,
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    OP. judging by your profile picture you are doing it right...obviously. You look amazing.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    OP. judging by your profile picture you are doing it right...obviously. You look amazing.

Thank you!
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    I've never weighed or measured anything. I definitely count my calories though. I've lost 41lbs which has surpassed my goal weight. Not knocking weighing & measuring though. I certainly understand why it works & is important. I just didn't need to do it.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    I used to track everything. Then about 2 months ago I stopped and just eyeballed. I was still losing, but it definitely slowed down. So this past week I started tracking again (although when I eat out at non chains it sure makes it difficult) and weight loss has picked back up again. After measuring and tracking again I can tell that I was eating more than I thought I was when I wasnt tracking.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Yes, you are the only one.

Is that what you wanted to hear?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    I've never weighed anything. I only measure very high calorie items like olive oil, butter, nuts.

I lost most (about 2/3) of my weight without even counting calories, and started counting here mainly because I became more interested in nutrition and wanted to play around with different macro levels.

Whatever works for you is great, and you obviously found your method so stick with it. You've done a great job.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    reading the boards I sometimes feel as though I am the only one who does not count calories or measure my food. I mean I know about how many calories I eat daily but I have never really counted and I never measure or weigh my food. I am not criticizing those who do, we all have our own journeys but I just feel like I'm in the minority.

Do you want to lose weight? Are you losing weight?

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

April I think most do not count in the real world but it seems to work for those who do.

As others have said what works for one is the best method. I eat out most all of the time so there is really no way plus this time around I evolved into a low carb high fat eating lifestyle to manage my pain. Thankfully picking out of fats do not gain like when I abused carbs like crazy. When I want to drop some weight I just do not eat after 5 PM unless it is like green tea and celery at this time of evening. I do eat at bedtime when just maintaining but it will just be fats and not carbs and protein.

I find young healthy people can eat about any way they want and get away with it but at 64 it does not work that way for me any longer. Major drop in pain, 40 years of IBS gone, better energy and sleep plus not as mean as a junk yard dog keeps me LCHF. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

well...you are on a calorie counting website.

I myself no longer keep a diary or count calories...but...you are in fact on a calorie counting website...so suffice it to say, most people are going to be counting...seems kind of like a no *kitten* sherlock moment to me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    If you are losing / maintaining / gaining weight as per your objective then you've got it sorted and it really doesn't matter if you're a minority or not

If you were having issues it would be an easy, and obvious, solution

I'm a numbers geek ...I like the counting part
  • sbar31
    sbar31 Posts: 4 Member
    I log my food and count calories but I don't measure anything and I've lost about 15lbs since March so if whatever you're doing is working for, keep doing it.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    I weigh and measure everything. Always. I always have my phone with me so it is easy to do.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    I have in the past, but am not currently. I am 5'6" and about 142, I am 40 & it would be really hard to lose much more weight & still feel like I wasn't starving myself. The highest I've ever gotten is about 150, I'm hear more for the message boards.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I didn't used to weigh most things and I lost 66lbs after my 2nd baby (all my baby weight and then some). I think I must've been good at guesstimating! I bought a digital food scale when I was pregnant with my third. It's actually just died so I need a new battery, but I do weigh pretty much everything now. I have to say with weighing everything I am losing weight at exactly the same rate after baby no.3 as I did after baby no.2 when I didn't weigh everything. I don't eat back exercise calories though so I guess I have a bigger margin for error!