Any vegans/vegetarians out there who want to share how much protein they eat/where they get it?

Options
Hausisse1
Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
Hi! I was advised a little while ago by my physician to eat meat as a source of protein (something about the hormonal imbalance I have, I don't quite understand it), but once my hormones even out I'd like to try to eat a (mostly) vegan/vegetarian diet. Sooo what ratio of carbs/fat/protein do any vegans or vegetarians out there eat, and where do you get your protein from? I can't eat dairy or soy, so those are not options for me.

Replies

• Hausisse1
    Options
    Something I've always had trouble with is figuring out exactly *how much* protein I need... there are different schools of thought about that everywhere...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    On a plant-based diet I get protein from lentils, chic peas, black beans, green peas, almonds, walnuts (good for Omega 3), hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, brussel sprouts, broccoli, kale.
    If you can eat eggs, they are a good source of protein.
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    On a plant-based diet I get protein from lentils, chic peas, black beans, green peas, almonds, walnuts (good for Omega 3), hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, brussel sprouts, broccoli, kale.
    If you can eat eggs, they are a good source of protein.

thank you! I do eat eggs currently, but would really like to switch to a more plant-based diet eventually. :) What percentage of protein do you usually eat per day, if I may ask?
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I really struggle to eat enough protein. Most of my calories seem to come from carbs.

I've consulted a trainer at my gym and they want me to eat 100g of protein a day. I usually get about 60g so I am supplementing with vegan protein powder and making shakes and protein balls.

Most of my protein comes from soy and legumes. For lunch today I roasted a tin of chickpeas and at the whole lot for 18g protein.

Beans, lentils, chickpeas, nuts, seeds are good soy free protein sources. You'll get small amounts from other vegetable too so make sure you track everything. If you still struggle like I do it might be worth looking at protein powder (most vegan powders are made from pea protein so are soy free).
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    I really struggle to eat enough protein. Most of my calories seem to come from carbs.

I've consulted a trainer at my gym and they want me to eat 100g of protein a day. I usually get about 60g so I am supplementing with vegan protein powder and making shakes and protein balls.

Most of my protein comes from soy and legumes. For lunch today I roasted a tin of chickpeas and at the whole lot for 18g protein.

Beans, lentils, chickpeas, nuts, seeds are good soy free protein sources. You'll get small amounts from other vegetable too so make sure you track everything. If you still struggle like I do it might be worth looking at protein powder (most vegan powders are made from pea protein so are soy free).

Yeah, I eat tons of nuts, seeds and legumes!! they're super healthy but I usually use them as sources of good carbs or fats. I'll look into vegan protein powder more, thank you :)
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I usually get around 10-15 percent protein (usually close to 12), but that's still around 40-50grams for me (so I meet my daily requirement the CDC says I need).
    Honestly I don't know where I get it. I don't plan for it or anything. It just happens. A good percentage of mine is from breads, actually (a super underrated protein source). I almost never eat raw nuts, and usually the only beans I eat are Refried and in a burrito. But there are small amounts of protein in everything and they really do add up
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have no trouble reaching or exceeding my MFP protein goal on a vegan diet--One of my favorite, simple dishes--a can of butter beans mixed with 2 cups of frozen, chopped spinach and 2-3 Tablespoons of Red Star nutritional yeast with a little salt and pepper is a protein bomb, in addition to being super high in other nutrients, and it is totally soy- and dairy-free. I also like cooking canned refried beans with canned green chiles, chopped bell peppers, a chopped zucchini, salt and pepper, and that's full of protein, as well. Google high protein vegan foods for more ideas. There is protein in most foods, even leafy greens, so try noticing what foods score you the most protein as you are logging and you should be fine.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    See if your physician will refer you to a registered dietician to talk with about this. But do read up on vegan or vegetarian nutrition in the meantime. The Vegetarian Resource Group is a reliable source of info you can find online.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Vegan here for the last 8 months. I aim for C:80 F:10 P:10 but find I'm regularly over with the fat (need to limit my nut intake!)
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Seitan is a great source of protein, and even better when you make it yourself. I make amazing sausages, 'ribs', not-meatballs, burgers... even shredded 'chicken'. If I use beans in the mix too, I get even more protein. :-)
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    sprepej wrote: »
    See if your physician will refer you to a registered dietician to talk with about this. But do read up on vegan or vegetarian nutrition in the meantime. The Vegetarian Resource Group is a reliable source of info you can find online.

I think I will talk to an RD if I can, yeah. I'm just not sure how much protein a person really NEEDS. You know? Like 10% protein per day seems like too little to me, and I know that meat is a good source of it, but I'm also not convinced that people need as much protein as they think they need. That's really what's stumping me, haha.
  • Hausisse1
    edited May 2015
    Options
    TheGoktor wrote: »
    Seitan is a great source of protein, and even better when you make it yourself. I make amazing sausages, 'ribs', not-meatballs, burgers... even shredded 'chicken'. If I use beans in the mix too, I get even more protein. :-)

I LOVE seitan, but I've been told to stay away from gluten... only because a lot of women with hormonal imbalances (apparently) tend to be gluten intolerant, though, so I might try to geeeeeently reintroduce it into my diet.
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    TheGoktor wrote: »

Do they sell seitan products that don't have trace soy? I like Sweet Earth, for example, but if I'm remembering correctly the ingredients often say soy sauce
  • icyblue13
    icyblue13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hausisse1 wrote: »
    I think I will talk to an RD if I can, yeah. I'm just not sure how much protein a person really NEEDS. You know? Like 10% protein per day seems like too little to me, and I know that meat is a good source of it, but I'm also not convinced that people need as much protein as they think they need. That's really what's stumping me, haha.

I think I read somewhere (in a nutrition class) that the minimum is 1g/kg of body weight. For exemple, if you weigh 60kgs, you need at least 60g of protein. You don't need as much as people seem to tell on these forums.
    If you exercise a lot, you can eat more protein.
    You can read about proteins here: forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183
    I'm vegetarian, I'm trying to eat around 70g of protein daily, mostly from eggs, cheese, yogurts, oats, beans, lentils.
  • MagnificentMihirung
    MagnificentMihirung Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For me personally, just eating nuts and grains (including, weirdly, eating a fair bit of popcorn) make me always meet and exceed my recommended protein intake - nuts and seeds, especially squash and pumpkin seeds, are especially handy since they also come with lots of healthy fats and iron.

If I wanted to specifically boost it, I would look into eating more hemp and flaxseed, or even investing in hemp-based nutritional powder, while getting more of my caloric load from mushrooms, beans, quinoa, barley, and rice-and-lentils. I like tempeh and seitan and tofu just fine, but for me that's always been going-out food, rather than stuff I'd make myself as part of a daily diet.

While there are of course exceptions and everyone's bodies are different, there is no reason you can't get even bodybuilder-levels of protein from purely vegan (and especially vegetarian) sources. Any nutritionist who is suggesting that you can't is...well at the very least I would get a second opinion.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I eat between 70 - 85 gms of protein a day. I eat seitan, quinoa, beans, nuts, dark green veg, eggs greek yogurt and cheese. I also currently supplement with Isopure Whey protein isolate. Previously I supplemented with Biochem Vegan protein powder. What I've read is for women 50 -60 gms is good, but if you work out you want to aim higher. My doctor recommends between 60 - 70. Personally I have found I lose better at the 70 plus level.
    I try not to stress over carbs snce most of mine are coming from beans and plants. I rarely eat breads, crackers, pastas, etc...
  • Sarahlascelles
    Sarahlascelles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Tofu. But make sure you cook it properly. Badly cooked tofu is dire, well cooked tofu is a pleasure.
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    Tofu. But make sure you cook it properly. Badly cooked tofu is dire, well cooked tofu is a pleasure.

I cannot have soy :/ But thank you anyway :)
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You might like to check out http://www.nomeatathlete.com/5-warning-signs/

10% is much too low, especially if you exercise regularly. There are great vegetarian protein sources out there to help you correct it. Try whey isolate (great if you are lactose intolerant as all the nasties removed, but research your brand carefully as some have some nasty additives, I use dymatize), nut butters, eggs, pulses, soy or almond milk (really easy to make your own so no nasty additives), nuts, chia, quinoa or leafy green vegetables such as spinach or broccoli

Good luck on a vegetarian diet, I was always averse to meat but forced to eat it as a small child but gave it up at 13 and am fit, healthy and athletic and my parents have now embraced a mainly vegetarian diet for health reasons