Sweet snacks that are low cal?

Options
pineapple_pizza
pineapple_pizza Posts: 34 Member
While I love fruit, I have a huge weakness for cookies, cake, etc. I'd still like to be able to incorporate these kind of treats into my diet but in a more controlled manner.

Does anyone have any simple, healthier recipes for dessert they could share?

Replies

• suziepell
    suziepell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pinks and whites are low and the pink wafers!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, in a portion size that fits your goals. Imo, substitute products generally suck and don't leave me satisfied at all.
  • pineapple_pizza
    Options
    Yeah, I understand that's an option. I'm just trying to move away from consuming as much refined sugar in my diet.
  • Pollyna87
    Pollyna87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hi Amy, i'd propose homemade muesli bars. I start with organic muesli with fruits (but you can use that one with dark chocolate, if you prefer). I reheat it in a pan until it becomes gilded and fragrant, then i add honey and some brown sugar. when all ingredients are mixed well, i lay out the mixture in a griddle and leave it in fridge for half an hour. So i cut this muesli sheet in about 16 bars and roll up singularly in plastic wrap. that's a tasty but healthy snack. I prepare also some delicious cacao and orange muffins: they are very very light.. if you want the recipe I can translate it for you. My best greetings!! Paola
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    It is not low calorie, but as you mention refined sugar as a focus; When I bake a fruitpie I make the crust and filling without any additional sugar, none. It means it is totally sweetened by the fruit and/or raisins used.
    It is a real treat and with portion control you then still have something special for that odd time.
    If other people that want extra sugar can sprinkle on some icing sugar and it looks festive immediately
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com
  • DrunkInAGolfCart
    DrunkInAGolfCart Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've got the same problem but I'm controlling it. My weakness specifically is chocolate. I've found that eating a couple of choc ice creams (Skinny Cow is THE BEST) is a relatively low cal way of satisfying those cravings. It's much more satisfying than limiting myself to 5 squares of chocolate or the like. I prefer quantity over quality (though Skinny Cow desserts a very yummy!).

It's all just maths anyway. Just try and work out what you love into your calorie goal!
  • SCOUSERWENCH
    SCOUSERWENCH Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    amy_pham wrote: »
    While I love fruit, I have a huge weakness for cookies, cake, etc. I'd still like to be able to incorporate these kind of treats into my diet but in a more controlled manner.

Does anyone have any simple, healthier recipes for dessert they could share?

I tried a slimming world pancake worked out at 16 calories per pancake.

1 egg, 6 tbsp sweetener, 1 tap vanilla essence.

Use fry light spray for the pan.
    It makes 2 small pancakes.
  • Grinb
    Grinb Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I tried a slimming world pancake worked out at 16 calories per pancake.

1 egg, 6 tbsp sweetener, 1 tap vanilla essence.

Use fry light spray for the pan.
    It makes 2 small pancakes.
    [/quote]

Just wanna say there is no way that is 16 cals a pancake, if an egg is 70 calories and it makes two, they would have to be at least 35 cals each, not that that is bad but no use logging it wrong.
  • Aryagrace
    Aryagrace Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hot chocolate made with water and a few marshmallow- it's chocolaty and takes a long time to enjoy!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate, and basically any add-in you want with 0% greek yogurt. I put pb2 and an oreo cookie in mine.
  • marcied2015
    marcied2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are the best!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are the best!

Just had mine :)
  • pineapple_pizza
    Options
    Pollyna87: Muesli sounds like a great idea for a whole grain snack, thanks!

Queenmunchy: Great blog! I looked through some recipes. I like that everything is vegan.

DrunkInAGolfCart: Thanks! I'll look into Skinny Cow if I have ice cream cravings, which will probably be soon since summer is coming up! Haha.

arditarose: I just ran out of Greek yogurt and I need to get some more! I think adding in some shredded coconut would be delicious.

marcied2015: I looked up quest bars on Amazon! I thought most bars were full of sugar but these look like a really great protein snack for on-the-go or before a workout.
  • kmclamb13
    kmclamb13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Get a cake mix and just use a 12ounce can of diet fresco or 7-up to mix it.Make cupcakes for portion control and use cool whip for icing
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've started making intense sweets and freezing them in small pieces. I've got peanut butter fudge, chocolate fudge, and Nanaimo bars cut up into small pieces right now. I log them by weight (weighed the total portion, so 1 serving is per 10g), and they're usually 70-100 calories. The fudge is about 1" x 1" and the Nanaimo bars about 1" x 1.5". I also go for small servings of my favourite ice cream. I find this approach way more satisfying than a larger portion of an imitation or "light" dessert. Of course, your tastes may vary.

I do also have cupcakes, tiramisu, pie, crumble, etc. now and then, but those are way harder to fit in on a regular basis for me (since one serving is usually a lot larger). I still go for the "real" thing rather than an imitation.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Luna bars have a lot of vitamin and minerals in them, so I just buy whatever I'm craving at the time (because they seriously have every flavor under the sun) and eat half. Save the rest for later.

Also I buy coconut milk ice cream. I can't eat a whole ton of ice cream at once. It's just too cold. I can only eat about a 1/4 of a cup at a time. Also, lactose intolerance, so I buy the expensive stuff. My chocolate ice cream is only 140 calories per 1/2 cup serving, with 7g of fiber. Pretty nifty.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hmmm fruit.

Someone had to say it...
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I take a ripe banana, slice it and put a bit of natural peanut butter one a piece of banana, then top with another piece of banana. Put on top of parchment paper and freeze for 15 minutes, then dip in melted dark chocolate and roll in unsweetened, shredded coconut and freeze again for 15 minutes. I store mine in Tupperware in the freezer and have a couple a day. Delicious!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Meringue cookies are a great low-cal treat. Trader Joe's has Vanilla ones, but the best are Miss Meringue-lots of flavors. It's also pretty easy to make cocoa meringue cookies. Chocolatey and sweet!