Is exercise necessary?

Options
124»

Replies

• maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My heavy work schedule is such that I am not able to exercise regularly. I am losing weight at a good rate, but probably would lose it faster is I got more activity in. I have read (wish I could cite the source) that 80% of weight loss is attributed to diet and 20% to exercise. So, while it appears that you don't have to exercise, your weight loss efforts conceptually will be more effective if you do. I think I read that on a website as I looked through my materials and cannot find the source. I'll post it if I find it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. One doesn't need to do it for weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• purata1993
    purata1993 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know if excersise helps? Ive been excercising and feel lots of pain in my legs the next day! My goal is to lose 35 pounds :)
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70 pounds since October with no exercise. Create a calorie deficit through diet and that's all you need to lose weight. That being said exercise is obviously necessary to be healthy, strong and fit but when you are very obese like I was and am it is nearly impossible to exercise enough to create a deficit through exercise. Good luck you can totally do it! :)
  • kirstfk
    kirstfk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    All I am allowed to do exercise wise is walk due to a current health issue but I have still managed to lose. Just not as quickly as I would like to if I could exercise!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Has anyone lost weight without exercising?
    I did years ago. It is absolutely possible but not desirable. This time around, I decided weight loss wasn't enough, I wanted to be fit and for that you need exercise.