Soda Addiction

Options
Hi All:

I have been using this app now for a few months I quite soda 2 and half months ago and now I found out I gained a pound. I have been following this through and it is not working. My nerves are shot I want a soda bad. I am trying not to drink it as I am seriously addicted like drink a 2L bottle one day sure I would chug one now. Does this take time I mean just by quitting I should have lost by now? I drink mostly Ice cold water with Ice. I eat healthier than I ever did, fruits salads. Nota not helping.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day do you eat? What are your measurements?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by being in a calorie deficit. Quitting regular soda (diet has very minimal calories to really have an effect) can help, but ultimately you need to make sure you're eating less than you burn.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    If it's diet soda, just drink it. It's got nothing to do with weight loss. And now I want a Coke Zero and I have none in the house. Thanks a lot! :laugh:
  • StereophoneyGaz
    StereophoneyGaz Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I absolutely smash through coke zero :wink:
  • jonnie256
    jonnie256 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Diet wild cherry Pepsi is best tasting diet soda there is hands down. Try it if you don't believe me! Taste just like cherry Pepsi to me.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Are you knocking over convenience stores and selling your grandmother's jewellery to fuel your sugar habit?

No. Sugar doesn't qualify to be called an addictive substance like drugs.

Just have a soda. You can find a way to fit it into your weekly calorie goal. Just don't have 10 a day.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big soda drinker but I found that, when a craving did arise, it was mostly for the carbonation. Seltzer water flavored with fruit or a little bit of drink powder helped a lot with the cravings. Maybe give that a shot?

Or just work a soda into your diet. If you're afraid it'll set you off again then try doing diet soda, like others have suggested. You can't deprive yourself forever.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda like there's no tomorrow. You can pry my Coke Zero out of my cold, fat hands.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Weight maintenance is between 5 and 10lbs believe it or not. I can weigh 6lbs lighter tomorrow if I choose to and still eat my full allotted 2700 cals today.
  • Luvlyrose
    Luvlyrose Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do dont drink diet. So much research against this! My husband would drink 2 monsters a day plus 2 2liter sodas a day i would drink at least 3 can a day. I quit cold turkey and its super hard! My husband stopped first with the monsters then with soda but its real hard for him hes so grouchy he gets in my nerves. Buy those small 6 oz cans and drink half of it just to get rid of the anxiety. Every 3 days i fill a jug with water then add cucumber, lemon,mint leaves, and an orange and mmmm im addicted to that now! Let it sit for a couple hours to get flavor.
  • Luvlyrose
    Luvlyrose Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    By every 3 days i mean i keep refilling my pitcher with water with the same fruit then on 3rd day i change out the fruit. I have a pitcher that holds all the fruit in a tube.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Luvlyrose wrote: »
    Whatever you do dont drink diet. So much research against this! My husband would drink 2 monsters a day plus 2 2liter sodas a day i would drink at least 3 can a day. I quit cold turkey and its super hard! My husband stopped first with the monsters then with soda but its real hard for him hes so grouchy he gets in my nerves. Buy those small 6 oz cans and drink half of it just to get rid of the anxiety. Every 3 days i fill a jug with water then add cucumber, lemon,mint leaves, and an orange and mmmm im addicted to that now! Let it sit for a couple hours to get flavor.

Can you please share some of the research?

OP: If soda fits into your daily calorie goal, enjoy the soda. I've lost over 30 pounds while enjoying a soda every now and then. If you want to get off soda, watch your caffeine intake. You may get some caffeine headaches. You can slowly reduce the amount each week, until you are down to a more reasonable level.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

whatever

to OP - drink diet if you want. i have diet coke pretty much every day and am closing in on 50 pounds shed since january
  • LBeet
    LBeet Posts: 12 Member
    Options

What? If you're against it because of "chemicals", aspartame is one of the most studied substances ever. The amount of research in reputable science journals showing it is harmless vastly outweighs the few studies that are against it. This goes for the other commonly used sweeteners as well. If you feed a rat its body weight in powdered artificial sweetener every day then yes, it can have negative effects. You are not a rat and it would be physically impossible to drink enough to seriously harm you (you'd die from the sheer volume of liquid consumed way before that). Any other studies saying diet soda is bad are of debatable significance at this point. Unless you have phenylketonuria (rare heritable disorder), you don't like the bloating from the carbonation or you get headaches from the caffeine it's fine. Source: biochemistry degree. Congrats on cutting out soda though :)
  • jonnie256
    jonnie256 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

He drank 2 2liters a day?????? Can't be serious....
  • aDivingBelle
    aDivingBelle Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Try some sparkling water mixed with some pom wonderful, or a sliced up juicy lemon with a teaspoon of sugar. It might just be the fizziness you want. I don't do diet drinks. They make me hungry an hour later.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Hi All:

I have been using this app now for a few months I quite soda 2 and half months ago and now I found out I gained a pound. I have been following this through and it is not working. My nerves are shot I want a soda bad. I am trying not to drink it as I am seriously addicted like drink a 2L bottle one day sure I would chug one now. Does this take time I mean just by quitting I should have lost by now? I drink mostly Ice cold water with Ice. I eat healthier than I ever did, fruits salads. Nota not helping.

OK, so you're not drinking soda. We get it.

But giving up soda is not a magic carpet ride to weight loss. What are you eating? My guess is: too much.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi All:

If you have gained weight, you are eating at a surplus. However, a pound could be natural fluctuation and nothing more.

If you love soda so much, why not fit it into your calorie goals? I suggesting weighing and logging your food too. Eating healthy will not help you lose weight unless you are eating at a calorie deficit.