calorie intake while breastfeeding - help!

Options
I'm 5ft 2" 151lb at the moment wanting to lose weight safely without affecting my milk supply. I'm supposed to have am extra 500 calories a day but not sure how to work out a safe level

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Take body weight 151lbs x (13-15) +500.
    So 1963-2265, avg 2100+500=2600.
    Full battery of micro nutrients from colorful fruits and veg. Natural fats. Protein close to 150g a day unless you get too constipated.
    Resistance train a couple tines a week and walk.
    Sleep well, stress free life.... Go you!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Please speak to your midwife before you stick to a net reduced calorie goal.
  • nessicle83
    nessicle83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Full battery of micro nutrients from colorful fruits and veg. Natural fats. Protein close to 150g a day unless you get too constipated.

Wow that many really? I used a calculator thing and it gave me 1768 but prefer your calculation! Ha ha. I have a busy life with three kids under 5 so the training and sleep thing is impossible assuming this will affect the calorie amount
  • nessicle83
    Options
    Please speak to your midwife before you stick to a net reduced calorie goal.

The midwife discharges at week 6 and my daughter is 17 weeks old now so unfortunately don't have a midwife to speak to or i definitely would
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand its just liek a normal dietm but you take into account brestfeeding burns 500 calories a day, so in fact you could maintain, brestfeed and still lose at 1lb a week. Its like getting a free 500cal burn every day.

Here is guidance on the impact it has on your diet.Not too complicated.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/lifestyle-breastfeeding.aspx#close
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 but not looking to lose weight, my bmi is 18.5. I work out 4x's a week on average and eat about 2100-2400 calories a day (it was 100 less before but I started losing weight). I breast feed a 6 month old and exercise has been a huge blessing, I feel great. I started working out almost two months ago. What worked for me was starting out slowly, increasing the intensity every week and always making sure to listen to my body. Good luck :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    With a BMI of 18 youre smart to not want to lose weight.
  • MissBoo2015
    MissBoo2015 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey im studying midwifery atm, just to say maintain the 500 cal intake extra but make sure you're getting in your workout, it doesn't have to be a full blown high intensity, a 20 minute walk when you pick up the kids, or a swim for 30 minutes. As long as you are moving and staying hydrated (hydration is key!) and making some good choices when you're in the kitchen, you should be able to loose weight at a safe rate and bf at the same time :) Congrats on breastfeeding so long, I think that is amazing :smiley:
  • nessicle83
    Options

Aw thank you I'm aiming to get to 12 months at the moment longer if she wants I'm happy to let her self wean when she's ready :)

Thank you for the advice I'm generally on the go all day with the other two kiddies and house work also I had hoped breastfeeding would help with weight loss but quite the opposite for me typically ha ha x
    Hey im studying midwifery atm, just to say maintain the 500 cal intake extra but make sure you're getting in your workout, it doesn't have to be a full blown high intensity, a 20 minute walk when you pick up the kids, or a swim for 30 minutes. As long as you are moving and staying hydrated (hydration is key!) and making some good choices when you're in the kitchen, you should be able to loose weight at a safe rate and bf at the same time :) Congrats on breastfeeding so long, I think that is amazing :smiley:

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    nessicle83 wrote: »

Wow that many really? I used a calculator thing and it gave me 1768 but prefer your calculation! Ha ha. I have a busy life with three kids under 5 so the training and sleep thing is impossible assuming this will affect the calorie amount

No, you do not need that many, or anything close. Figure out your maintenance without breastfeeding and eat there. You do not need to eat the extra calories for breastfeeding if the plan is to lose weight. Do not go lower than maintenance, but do not add extra calories either, just eat as you would prepregnancy. With 2600 calories at your height, even with breastfeeding, unless you are super active, you will gain. The 1700-1800 is far more realistic.
  • sadiqajamilla
    sadiqajamilla Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    nessicle83 wrote: »

No, you do not need that many, or anything close. Figure out your maintenance without breastfeeding and eat there. You do not need to eat the extra calories for breastfeeding if the plan is to lose weight. Do not go lower than maintenance, but do not add extra calories either, just eat as you would prepregnancy. With 2600 calories at your height, even with breastfeeding, unless you are super active, you will gain. The 1700-1800 is far more realistic.

Yeah I totally agree! I'm breastfeeding a 4 month old and haven't had any supply issues. I read that most moms don't see any issues with their supply unless they consume under 1800 calories a day. Some moms are at 1600 and are totally fine. Also it isn't a general 500 calories for breastfeeding. It's anywhere between 300-500 calories per day. It depends on the amount of breastmilk you produce. I am 5'4 and weigh 352. I take in around 2000 calories a day. It works for me. Hopefully you can find out what works for you and your little one.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist always put me on a 2000 cals diet and I was losing about 1 pound a week following it. I breastfed all 3 of my kiddos for over a years each. Also with my last two I did the Weight Watchers breastfeeding program and it worked very well also and I never had supply issues.