How to jump start my weightloss?

Options
Hi, im 22 and 225 lbs, 65 pounds more than i have been 4 years ago. I desperatly want to lose all this extra weight so i have a plan of three cups of green tea a day, resistance training, amd a low calorie diet...at least thats what i plan on doing. I tried to do this last month but slipped and fell alot and am still the same weight

Replies

• KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Put what you want to lose in 1 weeks. Your age, height, weight in the mfp calorie tracker follow that and work out. don't just do cardio do weights as well! :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    why not just learn how to do it properly, healthily and in a way that gives you a good chance if keeping it off, making it to the end and not having a miserable journey? Rather than say jump start, just start off well and sustainably. You will get some water weight loss in the first few weeks. Of you have slipped already then maybe address the reqasons why that happened.

Green tea for weight loss looks unproven, so drink it if you like it but I was unable to find sufficient persiasive evidence.

Resistance training and a decent calorific deficit are a good start.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by jump start? Really all you have to do is eat a little less and move a little more. This thread helped me a lot when I started here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Read the first post.... its really all you need to know about losing weigh in a sustainable way. Quick fad diets usually end up right back to failure.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    thats a lot of green tea. enjoy all the time on the can.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi, im 22 and 225 lbs, 65 pounds more than i have been 4 years ago. I desperatly want to lose all this extra weight
    Nah. That doesn't warrant a "jump start". You are not a motorcycle. Weight loss is typically greater initially anyway, due to loss of water weight and larger amount of fatty tissue to burn. Making weight loss "jump start" BS.

so i have a plan of three cups of green tea a day
    Meh. No effect on anything than your wallet. But drink it if you like the taste.

resistance training
    Good! That will retain muscle, which burns fat.

amd a low calorie diet
    Bad. Follow the goal MFP gave you at startup.

, ...at least thats what i plan on doing. I tried to do this last month but slipped and fell alot and am still the same weight
    What makes you think the same approach will work this time? Have you reflected on what made you "slip and fall"?
  • buffalobill41
    buffalobill41 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My tips would be try not to go too hardcore or you'll fall off quickly, try to eliminate sugary beverages, don't buy things like chips and ice cream or whatever you gorge on (easier to control yourself at the store than once you've already got it home), try to discover low calorie foods you enjoy that way when you do feel like just eating a ton you won't regret it as much, lift weights (don't worry you won't get all bulky and buff), and brush your teeth after meals or when you know you shouldn't eat that way you'll be less likely to eat due to the weird mix of flavors. Kind of a random list i know.
  • tashamoore22
    tashamoore22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The mfp started me a 1200 cal a day, it seems pretty low for my weight but i figured hey thats what it says..
  • tashamoore22
    tashamoore22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I Appreciate the advice .thank you
  • buffalobill41
    buffalobill41 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    1200 seems low but i'm just skeptical in general of some of their estimates especially for anyone with a manual labor job. but to start off i would just try to make healthier food choices in general and kinda see where things go. also keep in mind your weight will fluctuate wildly throughout the day so try not to freakout at a single weight at a random point. and do keep in mind you want this to be really a life long thing not something to "jump start" and fix in a month or something. start slow if you have to (going too fast is the main thing that will throw you off track) especially with the exercise portion if you're not used to it. the last thing you want to do is go to the gym once and end up all sore so you don't go back for 2 weeks or something. don't be ashamed to literally start with the lowest weight available on a workout machine and slowly move your way up (or a ridiculously short walk/cardio session).
  • foxandflora
    foxandflora Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hey Tasha,

MFP bases that stuff off your current weight and how much you plan to lose. I highly suggest if you are new to this, start with a 1 to 1.5 /lb a week weight loss. Probably 1300-1500 calories. Cut out all liquids except water and tea for the first two weeks. Focus on getting a feel for cooking healthy meals and drinking healthy drinks. You'll see a ton of difference in the first few weeks because your body will react to the sudden change in diet.

1200 is too low to start on because it is bare-minimum. If you're working out, you don't want to eat 1200 calories a day anyway. If this is a lifestyle change (the only way weightloss works), you should get comfortable eating 1400 calories each day. Then, as you lose weight, you can evaluate your intake and make changes as necessary. Your current focus should be on making healthy meals that you enjoy and don't bore you.

https://www.eatthismuch.com/ Excellent website.