Large ribcage is starting to creep me out :/

Options

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    As long as I never get back to F again I'll be happy.
  • Mutant_Toad
    Mutant_Toad Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have an exgirlfriend that used to describe herself as barrel chested. She just had what appeared to be a very wide, round ribcage even though she was a healthy weight. She hated it, but there was nothing that could be done for it. It's just a body type.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I was patted down by airport security. She patted over my ribs and asked if that was a concealed weapon! My rib cage is apparently quite square, and it is very visible now I've lost over 150 lbs. I'm used to it now but that incident makes me chuckle.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I was patted down by airport security. She patted over my ribs and asked if that was a concealed weapon! My rib cage is apparently quite square, and it is very visible now I've lost over 150 lbs. I'm used to it now but that incident makes me chuckle.
    Haha! That made me giggle!
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think your head needs to catch up to your body.

I was much bigger and once I lost a lot of weight was surprised to discover the tiny amount of space that exists between the bottom of my rib cage and the top of my hips. I thought there'd be a lot more room.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    I've lost over two stone now. I noticed recently when I'm lying on my back in bed just how big my ribcage is now I've lost weight. It's gross. It sticks out WAY above my belly.

Anyone else found as they've lost weight that parts of their bodies now look a bit weird. Or am I just still stuck in fat person mode and just haven't got used to it yet?

I've always had a barrel rib cage. I get it from my dad. It's the reason I appear so hour glass in shape. I do appear very bony in that area because of the shape, but it's my shape. They protect my best muscle in my body.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    I've lost over two stone now. I noticed recently when I'm lying on my back in bed just how big my ribcage is now I've lost weight. It's gross. It sticks out WAY above my belly.

Anyone else found as they've lost weight that parts of their bodies now look a bit weird. Or am I just still stuck in fat person mode and just haven't got used to it yet?

Yup, I always lose around my ribs and waist first esp the right side (I even had one boob swapped ouy to try and hide it. Lol).

I hate it! Gives me a freaky rib line in tight tops and plenty of jiggle lower down. On the good side it probably means you have a waist!
    The rest will catch up and help you look more proportioned! Congrats on the loss btw!!!!

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I feel less freakish now ha ha!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I recently freaked myself out when I scratched my back and felt the bumps of my ribcage. First time in at least 15 years!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. When I'm laying down, my rib cage and my hips look sooo alien the way they jut out. It's so freaky. I guess it's normal just not normal for us just yet!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My cheekbones reappeared awhile ago, followed by my collarbones and my hipbones.

It's like the tide of fat is receding and these skeletal islands are high and dry again. :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    It's like the tide of fat is receding and these skeletal islands are high and dry again. :)

:smiley: Hahahaha, that's very poetic!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My ribcage is asymmetrical, so now I'm wondering if I might have broken a rib sometime and didn't know it. As unlikely as that seems, I don't remember it being asymmetrical the last time my weight was low enough I could see it.
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I feel like my ribcage sticks out a weird amount too! But that's probably just because I've been overweight my entire life and don't know what normal bodies look like haha. Are ribs supposed to stick out as much as your boobs when laying down?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I also have a wide rib cage, but it does not creep me out. It just is a part of who I am.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I also have a wide rib cage, but it does not creep me out. It just is a part of who I am.

Same

I was always a little taller and broader (shoulders eg) than many so it's that.

I did read somewhere, maybe here, that being overweight can expand people's rib cages as well . But whatever, more lung room for you :)
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I have a Viking ribcage too. Always have had. I honestly don't care; even at my highest weight I didn't care. It's my physiology, and I look bloody strong as a result (and it's thankfully not an illusion).
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My rib cage has almost the same circumference as my hips. My rib cage is huge! Makes buying dresses and tailored garments really challenging.
  • penelopepittstopsmam
    penelopepittstopsmam Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think that sometimes, brains are slower to catch up than wed like. I saw myself yesterday in a glass shop door and was instantly disgusted by the sight of collar bone abd then realised that it wasnt disgusting but actually rather cool.

Ive list 40 odd pounds and left my brain behind.