Pumpkin: Eating 1kg a day

Options
http://www.calorieking.com/foods/compare/?l=ZmlkPTcxMTA0

I assumed pumpkins and potatoes would be similar nutritionally so had avoided them. Just looked up pumpkin.

1kg of pumpkin has 200kcals vs 970kcals for potatoes.

Calories 200 (840 kJ)
% Daily Value 10
Total Fat 0.7g 1%
Sat. Fat 0.4g 2%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 10mg < 1%
Total Carbs. 49g 16%
Dietary Fiber 11g 44%
Sugars 10.2g
Protein 7.2g
Calcium 150mg
Potassium 2300mg

Any reason to not eat 1kg of pumpkin a day?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    .... You might turn orange. There's plenty of other ways to get carbs and nutrients, eating a variety is good.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/compare/?l=ZmlkPTcxMTA0

Any reason to not eat 1kg of pumpkin a day?

because that is a lot of pumpkin??
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You'll turn into a pumpkin?

Seriously though pumpkin chocolate cake is fantastic. Go to town on that pumpkin! Can cook so much with pumpkin! Can't find anywhere in uk atm sadly.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Seems very high on the potassium and vitamin A! Vitamin A being about 1500% of the RDA. Not sure if those are bad things? So you like pumpkins a lot then? Or you just have a ton to get rid of?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Have you actually measured out 1kg of pumpkin? I love pumpkin but it would be pretty hard to eat that much every day
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    second the motion - 1 kg of cooked pumpkin is a lot same here, i love pumpkin but that's quite a lot to handle!
    Good thing is, it is not very dense in calories but still quite filling!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I eat 90 grams of pumpkin almost every day. While it doesn't have that much fiber, its impact is profound, if you catch what I'm trying to say.

Do the math. Draw some conclusions on the level of suffering.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I love pumpkin! :)
    I punch a hole it and bake it whole until it changes color on the outside. Butternut squash is good cooked like that too.
  • LBeet
    LBeet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is probably a joke but if you're serious: vitamin A is fat soluble so it's toxic if you eat too much of it. Look up the symptoms of hypervitaminosis A. Symptoms include liver damage (some people end up needing a liver transplant if it's bad enough), increased intracranial pressure, blurred vision, your skin becoming intensely itchy and then peeling off... and yes, pumpkin contains beta carotene which in high doses can cause carotenosis--you will literally turn orange. Eating 1 kg of pumpkin in one day won't have these effects but don't go crazy with it daily.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat 90 grams of pumpkin almost every day. While it doesn't have that much fiber, its impact is profound, if you catch what I'm trying to say.

Do the math. Draw some conclusions on the level of suffering.

Noted.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

Seriously though pumpkin chocolate cake is fantastic. Go to town on that pumpkin! Can cook so much with pumpkin! Can't find anywhere in uk atm sadly.

I buy tinned pure pumpkin from Amazon (Waitrose do it too). Don't get the pie filling one though!

(Confession time: I give a tablespoon to my dog every day to keep her healthy - she *was* eating better than me!)
  • arditarose
    Options
    But it's almost summer. You guys eat pumpkin all year round? I don't even know what to do with it. Any easy suggestions? Can I add canned pumpkin to greek yogurt with like..maple syrup? I don't know, maybe that's weird.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Seems very high on the potassium and vitamin A! Vitamin A being about 1500% of the RDA. Not sure if those are bad things? So you like pumpkins a lot then? Or you just have a ton to get rid of?
    It is possible to overdose Vitamin A, but generally only the kind of Vitamin A that comes from animals. Plants technically have beta carotene that your body can turn into Vitamin A, but it won't convert enough to poison itself.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    But it's almost summer. You guys eat pumpkin all year round? I don't even know what to do with it. Any easy suggestions? Can I add canned pumpkin to greek yogurt with like..maple syrup? I don't know, maybe that's weird.

That sounds delicious. I mix mine with cottage cheese and pumpkin pie spice and sweetener. I don't see why yogurt wouldn't work too.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

Which reminds me that when my daughter lived in London and wanted to make a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for her British flatmates, she had to order canned pumpkin on-line at quite an expense.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

That sounds delicious. I mix mine with cottage cheese and pumpkin pie spice and sweetener. I don't see why yogurt wouldn't work too.

Ah! Right. Cottage cheese. That's what I had wanted to try it with. Maybe along with apple butter.