Greek Yogurt or Cottage Cheese?

Options
javarushed
javarushed Posts: 218 Member
Hello MFP,

Complete Greek Yogurt / Cottage Cheese newbie here...

I'm looking to change up my South Beach Almond Ricotta Cheese Dessert with something new. I've read a lot of good things about Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese. I would appreciate some advice on how you incorporate these items into your diet, which you prefer and why. Also, which brand, fat% (fat free, 1%, 2% etc) do you choose and why. Any recipes that you can suggest will also be appreciated :D

The Ricotta seems to have more calories and a lot more Fat. All 3 seem to have close the to same Protein and Carbs. The Cottage Cheese has more sodium?

Thanks again for your help!

j6REG.png

Replies

• CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    low fat cottage cheese, natural peanut butter and a bit of honey. Tasty nutritious dessert :)
  • mogenfire
    mogenfire Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I eat Fage 0% fat greek yogurt with berries smashed in it. And I eat no fat cottage cheese either by itself or with pineapple or blackberries. I eat these both almost everyday! yum!
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese is lower in carbs, I prefer it.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i like chobani..its usually fat free or 1%
    and of course you can always get the no fat or low fat cottage cheese..heck just go and get the cheap wal mart brand
  • javarushed
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! Its appreciated!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I like the Oikos Greek Yogurt with strawberries or blueberries. I have a phobia of cottage cheese - something about the texture.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eat Fage 0%--it has a better texture and flavor that the Chobani. And if there's a Trader Joe's in your area, the 17oz container is only $3.99

If you look closely that the nutritional profile table you posted, the nutrition density of Greek yogurt is much higher than even cottage cheese. If you are carb sensitive, or carb conscious, the Greek yogurt is much lower in both carb and sugar than even cottage cheese. Once I discovered Greek yogurt, I gave up cottage cheese entirely! I typically eat about 6 oz with one packet of Truvia and a tsp of vanilla extract. Sometimes I mix berries in as well.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I can only eat one kind of cottage cheese because I do NOT do curds. Just the word grosses me out LOL.

Friendship 1% WHIPPED cottage cheese. Has the same texture as ricotta and with 90 calories and 16 grams of protein per serving!

I also love greek yogurt. I eat one of the two every single day.
  • javarushed
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give these a try when I go shopping on wed. Thanks again!