Headaches from green tea?

Options
Does anyone else get headaches from drinking green tea?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Not me. What brand are you using?

I drink green tea from Celestial Seasonings and Whole Food's 365 store brand.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Is it caffeinated?
  • Oneironaut
    Oneironaut Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Stomach problems are common when drinking tea on an empty stomach, but I haven't heard of people getting headaches.
  • lifewithnicki
    lifewithnicki Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yes i dooo!!!! and nausea but it helps if you ate something before
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    yes i dooo!!!! and nausea but it helps if you ate something before

My mom has this problem too. No idea why.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Tea is a common migraine trigger, not just because of the caffeine but also because of the tannins (many people think green tea doesn't contain them but it does). You could try a herbal tisane instead.
  • Abe178
    Abe178 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've had same. I stick with mint or peppermint for hot tea and have not had headaches from either. I'm pretty sensitive to different floral scents... Not sure if that's related but I've done a lot of tea trial and error.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do, not from green tea (I just don't like it), but I 100% get it from regular black tea, and most herbal teas, I have found one very specific brand of black tea that it doesn't happen with, so I just drink that, and peppermint tea. I don't know why it happens, I'm sensitive to caffeine though, so I assume it's just that.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, just try to find a tea that works for you, it took me some trial and error.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't have any issues with black or green teas. I also drink huge quantities of both. Perhaps you are allergic to one or more of the ingredients.
  • shoni2122
    shoni2122 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink this dieter tea that helps clean me out after my last meal of the day. When I wake up the next morning I have migraine. I have it for days... And I take excedrin like candy!!! Maybe because the tea sucks all the water out of me. Is that possible?
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yes, it could be dehydrating you. Ditch this dieter tea, it's nothing more than harsh laxatives.

This^^

Also, "cleaning you out" is completely unrelated to burning calories and losing fat. Pointless pain that will not leave you any leaner, just badly dehydrated and possibly with severely irritated bowels.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    shoni2122 wrote: »
    I drink this dieter tea that helps clean me out after my last meal of the day. When I wake up the next morning I have migraine. I have it for days... And I take excedrin like candy!!! Maybe because the tea sucks all the water out of me. Is that possible?

That's entirely different than just drinking a regular green tea.

This is likely a dehydration issue. Dehydration is a major migraine trigger.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I didn't even know this could be called green tea! lol

ETA: Just avoid it, OP.
  • malkurdi
    malkurdi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do have that headache when I drink green tea specially when it is heavy i.e. When the tea bag is left in my cup for a long time ... I currently have light green tea after lunch... But the question is: is it right to have green tea even if I know it will cause headache? Will it help me on my diet ?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Curious as to why you feel you need to clean yourself out after your last meal of the day?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    No, in fact it's the opposite for me. If I am getting a headache, tea (or coffee) will usually make it go away.