Is my 1/2 marathon training doomed?

Options
lizm223
lizm223 Posts: 17 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm still quite the novice runner. After a couple 5Ks, a friend suggested trying a 1/2 marathon with her July 12th. Figuring I had several months to prepare, I thought I'd give it a shot--I liked the idea of challenging myself, making it that long distance even if I'm not fast. So I found myself a plan that seemed nice and long and progressed slowly since I knew I needed the time to adjust, and started training towards the end of March.

All was going well, I was keeping up, the longer runs (at the time 6 miles) were a bit rough but I figured I still had time. Then in April I came down with what my doctor called a particularly nasty virus, I'm still not entirely convinced it wasn't mono. I pretty much laid in bed for a week, then concerned about falling too far behind struggled for the next 2 weeks, walking with what little bits of running I could manage but still covered most of the mileage. It was probably 3 1/2 weeks, close to a month before the fatigue fully subsided and I felt "good" again.

However, I now found myself scheduled to run 8, 9 miles as my long runs and even my shorter 4/5 miles are a bit of a challenge. I've been pushing through, using walking breaks as needed and have no illusions of flying through the course come race day, my only goal is to finish, I couldn't care less what my time is. My question is: Is it possible to make up for some or all of those weeks and get strong enough to last for 13.1 miles? I'm 26 and in good health, but I also don't want to have unrealistic expectations, push myself too hard, and wind up injured or ill the day of the race--it's a 7:30 am start time as it's July, but there's still a chance it could be quite warm. Any runners have similar experiences/advice?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Why not follow a Galloway run/walk plan? You've got a month and a half. Reassess the week or so before the race if you must, but I don't see any reason to give up now.

For what it's worth, I was out with an injury until early/mid March, and I am *only just now* returning back to my previous fitness. It takes our bodies time to recover to the point where we can build fitness again, and then it takes them time to make up for what was lost.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I agree with @cheshirecatastrophe that you should look into a walk-run plan, like the Galloway. Try running through the shorter runs, even if it's a struggle, and have a walk-run strategy for the longer distances. Your training isn't doomed but it certainly is set back, so you'll have to reassess some of your race day goals.
  • lizm223
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I looked into Galloway and a little confused. I've been shooting for a 12-ish min/mi pace for long runs and from what I've found, that means 2-2.5 minutes running/1 minute walking? Seems like more walking than I was hoping to do. Should I just tailor it to what I'm comfortable with or is there a particular reason to incorporate more walking breaks?
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Who many miles a week in all are you doing now? (walking + running)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    lizm223 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips, I looked into Galloway and a little confused. I've been shooting for a 12-ish min/mi pace for long runs and from what I've found, that means 2-2.5 minutes running/1 minute walking? Seems like more walking than I was hoping to do. Should I just tailor it to what I'm comfortable with or is there a particular reason to incorporate more walking breaks?

You can certainly tailor it to whatever you like. Or just walk when you feel like you need a break.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The running/walking will be good for you if you need it. Even if your "walking" is a real slow jog, you should be fine. When I first started running I use to stop and walk as well. you still have a lot of time to make up so you might be fine come the marathon. Just don't push it too hard with the running where your exhausted. Like you said if your not worried about your time, then do what feels comfortable. Good luck on your run. Make sure you keep yourself hydrated as well.
  • Briana_RN
    Briana_RN Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You still have 6 weeks until race day! I would say still run your 4 miles without walking. On your long runs don't walk unless you really feel like you need to. If you want to set a pattern or something after the first 4 miles walk 2 minutes after every mile completed. I'll be doing my 7th half in October. I know it's hard to stay on track with the training schedule. But like you said crossing the finish line will be victory in itself! And that usually means at lease a 16 min mile so you will do great!! Don't give up!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    even my shorter 4/5 miles are a bit of a challenge. I've been pushing through, using walking breaks as needed and have no illusions of flying through the course come race day, my only goal is to finish, I couldn't care less what my time is. My question is: Is it possible to make up for some or all of those weeks and get strong enough to last for 13.1 miles?

Hi @lizm223!

Let's separate the two major concerns here - one is speed - we need to forget all about that one. :smile:

The other is endurance. It is absolutely possible to make improvements in your endurance in the six plus weeks between now and then. Perhaps even significant improvements. You should be able to complete the race; what sort of strategy you use to run it will depend on how your body responds to the training between now and then.

A few questions first:
    • Do you happen to have a heart rate monitor?
    • Tell us about your target pace you've mentioned - is your 12-ish minutes per mile race pace goal the same pace you've been training at? Or is the 12-ish m/mile race pace target faster than your training pace?
    • While running your training runs, are you able to carry on a conversation (even if a little stilted by breathing) ?

Let's hear back from you on the above questions so we can dig deeper.
  • Simo429
    Simo429 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Run slower and be consistent, what's important is finishing not your time
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Why not follow a Galloway run/walk plan? You've got a month and a half. Reassess the week or so before the race if you must, but I don't see any reason to give up now.

A Galloway strategy will get you through. It's probably more likely to do so than just taking walk breaks when you feel the need.

fwiw I had a similar situation last year. About 6 weeks out from my first half my doctor put me on some medication that wiped me out, so I was only getting 20km per week of generally short runs in for about 5 weeks of that. I managed ok, walked up hills and got a fair time. Not quite my goal time of sub 2 hrs, but still ok.

The only think I'd caution about would be training injury risk, which a Galloway approach might help mitigate. On my race I started getting knee pain at the 11km point, and had ITB Syndrome by the end of the race.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My question is: Is it possible to make up for some or all of those weeks and get strong enough to last for 13.1 miles?

No. Time lost is...time lost.

If you're following a plan where you're supposed to be running X and are having to walk part of it, that's a sign you need to back up a couple of weeks (or more) in the plan. What you're doing (assuming I've understood correctly) is just asking for an injury, and then you'll be totally hooped. So find the week in your training plan that you can actually complete, and (re)start from there.

If that doesn't leave enough time to work up to the distance you need, I'll second a Galloway style approach - that'll work, too.

• lizm223
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    even my shorter 4/5 miles are a bit of a challenge. I've been pushing through, using walking breaks as needed and have no illusions of flying through the course come race day, my only goal is to finish, I couldn't care less what my time is. My question is: Is it possible to make up for some or all of those weeks and get strong enough to last for 13.1 miles?

Hi @lizm223!

Let's separate the two major concerns here - one is speed - we need to forget all about that one. :smile:

The other is endurance. It is absolutely possible to make improvements in your endurance in the six plus weeks between now and then. Perhaps even significant improvements. You should be able to complete the race; what sort of strategy you use to run it will depend on how your body responds to the training between now and then.

A few questions first:
    • Do you happen to have a heart rate monitor?
    • Tell us about your target pace you've mentioned - is your 12-ish minutes per mile race pace goal the same pace you've been training at? Or is the 12-ish m/mile race pace target faster than your training pace?
    • While running your training runs, are you able to carry on a conversation (even if a little stilted by breathing) ?

Let's hear back from you on the above questions so we can dig deeper.

1) I do not have a heart rate monitor. All I use is Runkeeper on my phone
    2) 12 minutes or so tends to be my average pace on longer runs. Looking at the stats, since I insert some walking here and there running at about a 10:30/11 pace, which I'm pretty sure is probably a little fast for me but it's so hard to make myself slow down/ so easy to lose track of my speed.
    3) Sometimes. It's easy to get carried away and run too hard and I'm trying to break that habit. It's why I never thought I could run until this past year, I associated running with all out, full force sprinting basically.

• lizm223
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    You're asking if it's doomed?

Hmmm, defeatist?

Yes, it's doomed, unless you want it to be successful. Then, make a plan and make it happen. Run/Walk is frickin' stellar.

Edit: Oh, and are you resting enough?

Ha, I know. But those 4 weeks really made me feel defeated, I couldn't make it half a mile before my legs felt like lead. It looks like run/walk seems to be the popular choice so time to reassess.

And don't get me started on rest. I know it's one of the most important parts of the whole puzzle but due to really poor planning on my part, I'm also in the midst of a crazy, accelerated full-time summer term of classes. So I try, but I know I'm not where I should be.
  • lizm223
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I did try to incorporate some of what I read up on re:Galloway this morning. 9 miles, did the recommended 2:1 run:walk for the first 4 miles, then steady 2.5 miles, then a few minutes walking, steady 2 miles, and slowwww jog/walk to finish. Not picture perfect but I did make it the whole way without feeling like dying, so there really is a method to the madness :-P I think more of it is my mental hang-up on running vs walking, but I also know that my body can only do so much in a given amount of time and the last thing I want is an injury.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Good stuff. Keep that attitude about avoiding injury and work on pacing yourself. I think you might just surprise yourself how well you do six weeks from now. Good luck! :smile:
  • billymacintosh
    billymacintosh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Definitely plan on a walk/run plan, I just did a half marathon a week ago after only 6 weeks training (and I wasn't already superfit and I am overweight) my original 12 week plan was disrupted by a bad cold which lasted 2 weeks and a back injury. I really enjoyed the experience and I didn't come last! Just make sure you incorporate a good amount of stretching after you train :)
  • mwyvr
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There's not a lot of difference between 9 miles (where she's at today) and 13.1 miles. If the OP logs in more distance, is careful not to overdo it (pace, run-walk, build up more aerobic capacity) + takes the rest needed, no doubt she'll be able to enter and complete the HM with a run/walk or run/slower pace strategy that works for her.

Just be careful this doesn't happen to you Liz:
  • lizm223
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    There's not a lot of difference between 9 miles (where she's at today) and 13.1 miles. If the OP logs in more distance, is careful not to overdo it (pace, run-walk, build up more aerobic capacity) + takes the rest needed, no doubt she'll be able to enter and complete the HM with a run/walk or run/slower pace strategy that works for her.

Just be careful this doesn't happen to you Liz:
    :D:D:D If only...

Thanks everyone. I know so much of it is psychological and the words of encouragement help to calm my always worrying mind. This is my first attempt at a 1/2, or anything even close to this distance, so it's all one big learning experience :-)