going boozeless

Options
bex481
bex481 Posts: 70 Member
So I am going to try to give up alcohol. This is difficult for me as my husband and i like to drink. But I think I am ready to do it and I'm hoping it will help me begin losing again. I am just hoping he is supportive about it! Any suggestions or tips for successfully giving it up?

Replies

• marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Why give it up all together? If you follow this program, eat right, and workout you can treat yourself to a cocktail or two now and then.

I am not a big drinker at all but every once and a while I have a vodka & water (and I add crystal lite powder).

Good luck.
  • Robadobasaurus
    Options
    I would find it very hard, but just looking at the calorie content puts me off alot of the time when i want a beer. It has massively helped me reduce a few pounds though, but I have factored it into my calorie allowance rather than cutting out.

If it's advise on how to stop drinking, always nominate yourself as being a designated driver on a night out or when your friends are going out?

Rob
  • RichB77
    RichB77 Posts: 88
    Options
    Hi,

After Christmas last year, i gave up booze for January and I joined this site the same time. (Best thing i ever did) :drinker:
    I lost 8lbs in my first 3 weeks, and i do believe it's all alcohol as i hadn't really kicked my healthy eating plan into effect.
    They're unfortunately just liquid calories, nothing more! But i feel your pain and sympathise!
    On the days you plan to drink , try and burn off at least 5oo cals to negate that bottle of wine/2 vodkas.
    I've found this helps
    Good luck though

:drinker:
    Rich
  • mrstudz
    mrstudz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    drink light beer instead of full calorie beer, and use diet coke/gingerale or soda water instead of full calorie softdrinks....another trick is use crystal light instead of jiuces, for long island ice tea etc....and dont get absolutely out of control drunk...because then you get too hung over and wont train.....then you can get away with having a few drinks easy

also a glass of quality red wine is good for the heart....and goes great with a lean grilled steak salad and veggies!
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I've temporarily given up alcohol in an effort to aid my weight loss been 3 weeks
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    It's a good plan, but I +1 marnieinMB - cold turkey might be a bit tricky.
    I'd suggest setting a weekly limit first, to see how you go, then reduce to zero later.

Whenever I've gone through a low-alcohol phase, I go for the UK recommended 21 units per week (which is actually quite low). My wife does too, though technically, for a woman in UK, it should be 14 units. No idea why gender should be a factor..if anything it should be body mass!

A big helping factor is not to buy alcohol in bulk (eg froma wine merchant) and only go to a local shop if you want a bottle. Of course, this doesn't help with social drinking in a pub or whatever, but it really helps me :)

Good luck, and cheers ;-)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I for the most part have given up alcohol all together. I will have the occasional cocktail/margarita here or there, but occasional means like once every 2 or 3 months.

I'm not a big drinker anyway and neither are my parents, so that has helped a lot. I found that if I don't buy it, then I need to go to a restaurant to have it. There the drinks are like 5 or 6 dollars.. sometimes more. That money I could be spending on something else.. and that is motivation for me right there!
  • bex481
    bex481 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to cut back a lot. Going to see if I get any results. Hopefully I will!! Thanks for all the support and advice- very helpful!!
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    I have recently done this, and it is amazing. I used to drink 4-5 times a week, and now drink 1-2 times per week and keep it low numbers

-being designated driver always works
    -order fancy booze free drinks when out (like ginger lemonades, or fresh juices) drinking a treat w an umbrella makes you feel more festive than just sipping on water.
    -when out most ppl dont even realize that you are not drinking, so dont worry about the social pressure
    -if binge drinking is not your problem, then allow yourself to have a nice glass of wine or the better brand liquor in small quantities. this is the same as buying fancy chocolate and having one piece, as opposed to gobbling down a whole package of cadbury.

i find that since I have seriously cut down on booze i am no longer bloated or puffy and my need for sugar has pretty much stopped.
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    have decided to stop for a while too, when i drink I end up eating more than I intended. Also keep losing and gaining the same 3 kg so have set a goal of 2 weeks to see if it helps.
    Planning on buying some nice new boots with the money I will save :)
  • Lindyteach
    Lindyteach Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    2 years ago I went cold turkey and haven't touched alcohol since. It is fantastic. Easy! I love it. Feel free to friend me for support!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I miss beer! But my calorie limit is low and I am just not willing to drunk my calories!