Newbie ! Am I on right track ?

Options
Hello Friends,

I am very new to MFP. Had this app in my phone forever but only relaized its worth a week ago. So wanted to say hi to all experienced people here and also looking for guidance to reach my goal.

I am female 5-5" weighing 160 punds and BF- 35%. My main goal is to reduce my BF%. I started weight training 3 months ago and continuing to do so almost 4-5 times a week with Weights ranging from 12.5 -15 lbs. I have only seen a difference of 2-3 pounds drop since I started which is not too much but am still motivTed enough to keep going. One thing, cardio is almost missing from my workout routines as I absolutely hate doing cardio because its toooo boring for me.

Starting last week, I started logging my food as well. I am trying to stay at 1000 calories a day. and am considering adding cardio to my workout routine as well. 15-20 mins

My goal is to reach 130 lbs within this year. Do you think am on right track to acheive it ?

Many many thanks in advance.

-Venny

Replies

• callen901
    callen901 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1000 calories? I think that's too low especially combined with exercise. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board and I hope they can chime in.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat more than 1000 calories. You need to fuel your body, especially when you're working out as well. Set your goal on MFP to lose a pound a week, log everything you consume accurately (you'll need a food scale, most likely), and eat back a portion of your exercise calories. 30 pounds by the end of the year is doable, but it's going to be tricky as you get closer and don't have much to lose.

Also, read this thread: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest
  • aencinas18
    aencinas18 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    First off, 1000 calories is too low. You're depriving yourself. In doing so, your body is storing all the everything because it thinks you're starving. I would suggest having a limit somewhere around 2000 calories, and eat between 1500 and 2000. Also, as for cardio, there are many activities you could find that you may not have considered. If you like to swim, ride a bike, walk, skateboard, play any sports, etc., you can burn calories. It's just a matter of finding what you like to do and want to do. You can do it!!
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is too low. No idea what your age is (it matters) but if you were 35 years old and did nothing but sit in a chair all day, you'd need about 1500 calories per day at your height and weight. Given that you're exercising, you need more.

If you want to lose 30 pounds, give yourself a reasonable goal. A lb. per week is safe and reasonable. You'd need 30 weeks, and that's if you can be consistent and stick with your program the whole time (few can).

As for cardio: walking is the simplest, best cardio you can do. I highly recommend it. Carve yourself out 30 minutes for a walk every day. It will assist you in creating the necessary calorie deficit you need to reach your goals.

The strength training is good; you want to preserve muscle mass while cutting calories. But you need to fuel yourself properly. Too few calories while lifting and all you're going to do is burn yourself and then binge when starving.

It takes a balanced, reasonable, consistent approach to lose weight. And it takes patience. A lb. per week. Trying for anything else is just asking for setbacks and trouble.

Good luck.
  • VVBliss
    VVBliss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much evryone for replying.

I am 28 and i actually followed default number on MFP which was 1200. So i thought i should stay at 1000 to create deficiet but i guess am wrong. Do you know how can i accurately calculate my calories needs ?
  • sadiqajamilla
    sadiqajamilla Posts: 34 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    VVBliss wrote: »

I am 28 and i actually followed default number on MFP which was 1200. So i thought i should stay at 1000 to create deficiet but i guess am wrong. Do you know how can i accurately calculate my calories needs ?
    It has already calculated a deficit for you. Eat the minimum at the very least. It's up to you if you choose to eat your exercise calories or not. Keep in mind that the more active you are the more energy/calories your body needs. For me personally, I eat about half of my exercise calories along with my daily caloric goal. It works for me.

• VVBliss
    Options

It has already calculated a deficit for you. Eat the minimum at the very least. It's up to you if you choose to eat your exercise calories or not. Keep in mind that the more active you are the more energy/calories your body needs. For me personally, I eat about half of my exercise calories along with my daily caloric goal. It works for me.

Oh i see. Now it set the goal to 1lb per week and its showing me 1300 calories a day. That sounds like a reasonable number that i should stick with.
  • sadiqajamilla
    sadiqajamilla Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lol yeah the settings are pretty important ;) good luck!!!
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Oh i see. Now it set the goal to 1lb per week and its showing me 1300 calories a day. That sounds like a reasonable number that i should stick with.

Also, just so you know (this probably isn't an issue since you don't do cardio), MFP is set up so that you eat back calories burned by exercise.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I just want to add, lift heavier. Way heavier. You'll like the results more.
  • VVBliss
    Options
    @ sadia

thankyou :)

@catie i logged few cardio exercises this week and saw it took away those calories. So Thankyou for mentioning that :)

@StrongCurves
    Heavy like 20 lbs ? I saw a girl today doing shoulders for 22.5 and she was pretty bulky in muscles. I know girls dont usually bulk up but thats really not my goal :(

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Thats exactly what I mean. You should check out this thread first:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1