When dinner is at 9pm....

Options
Because my husband doesn't get off work until 8pm, we usually end up eating dinner around 9pm.... shame on me. We've tried a number of things to eat separate but earlier, cook dinner the day before, etc and it doesn't work out very well. So what I want to know is if anyone else has the same problem and how you combat it?

Also, if I were to move my exercising from morning to after dinner, would this help as I'd be burning a good deal of calories after dinner, despite the late hour?

Replies

• swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Similar boat here except the other half doesn't finish work until 11 - 11.30pm, so we don't eat until after midnight (but then we don't go to bed until around 3am) - we have tried all sorts like eating seperately, eating before he goes to work at 5pm etc but none of it works out or suits our lifestyles.

Ultimately I have learned just not to worry about it, although it's not ideal to be eating your main calorific meal of the day close to bed time it's all about calories in vs calories out so if you are doing every thing else right it should be OK.

I've lost close to 100lbs over the last few years which shows it can work :)
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't really work out too close to bed because working out is an energy boost and usually wakes you up. However, I find that when I strength train after I'm done and showered I'm more tired than ever....but strength training doesn't really get the endorphins pumping like a cardio workout. I usually end up eating "dinner" around 9-10 a good portion of my nights, so I just try and keep it light and eat more throughout the day. That way you are not as hungry and eating all your calories before bed.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't buy into the whole "don't eat after a certain time" thing. I think it's BS. I routinely eat late and snack right before bed to no detriment. You have to do what fits into your life.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing the right thing working out in the morning, that's what all the advice I have ever read has said about it, and working out on a full stomach may make you feel queasy!

I don't know what to suggest for your meal time dilemna I'm afraid! What about getting a slow cooker that will cook your food through the day for you and be ready for 8pm when your hbby gets home?
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I can never be bothered to exercise after dinner- and you need to wait a couple of hours until your food is digested too.

Apparently if you exercise before eating you use the calories more efficiently that you eat for up to an hour afterwards. Why not exercise whilst you're waiting for him to return? I always eat at 9pm as i am usually in the gym between 7 and 8 when I'm back from work.
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    m the same as Keiraev. I don't eat my dinner till about 9-9:30 pm, mainly because I get home from work at 6 and then do a workout wether its swimming or aerobics, but I can't eat before because I'll make myself sick.

I dont think eating later is a problem to be honest!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    In my opinion there is nothing wrong with eating late.
    Sometimes I'm not eating dinner until 7:30-8:00, and when I do eat earlier, I almost always still eat something right before bed.

I think the whole "don't eat after XX time" was meant to try and keep people from eating out boredom.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    In my opinion there is nothing wrong with eating late.
    Sometimes I'm not eating dinner until 7:30-8:00, and when I do eat earlier, I almost always still eat something right before bed.

I think the whole "don't eat after XX time" was meant to try and keep people from eating out boredom.

Agreed! :happy:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    There's no issue with eating late. This is a diet myth that somehow lives on and on and on despite any evidence to back it up.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    We are always late eaters also. I do believe it is more in what you eat and how much instead of when. :devil:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't see why eating at 9 pm is a problem if this is your usual routinhatEhat is the problem you want to solve?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I amost always have dinner around 9 since I work out after work and that is about the time I am getting home. It's really just calories in calories out.
  • Lpfeifer419
    Lpfeifer419 Posts: 82
    Options
    During the semester, we routinely don't eat until 8pm or later. Dinner is the time we come together and talk about our day since we haven't seen each other all day. Since it's just my husband and myself, it works out. Having dinner together is important to us, so we will be taboo and eat after 7pm.
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'm victim to the whole idea out there that you shouldn't eat after "X" time, which is why I asked about it.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Meal timing has no impact on your gains/losses. Plus, even if it did I imagine it'd be worth it to be able to share meals with your significant other.