I don't want to give up ...

Options
hi I've posted a few times before and I probably sound impatient here ...
I have been doing an hour on the treadmill for 6 weeks now jogging and walking uphill as fast as I can ...I also have a fit bit flex and average between 18 thousand and up to 23 thousand steps a day as I also walk everywhere when I can ..
I started this 6 weeks ago I am trying to tone up a bit and maybe loose a couple of pounds I weigh 8 stone 9 and am 5ft 2 so I don't really want to lose a lot
My problem is I thought I would give myself 8 weeks as that is when I've read your supposed to have seen a change in your body
I weigh the exact same I haven't lost a pound or even an inch I measured
I eat a really healthy diet I don't keep a diary as I was only looking to lose a few pounds or at least tone up
An example of my day and I know you've only got my word for it but I'm being honest here I would only be lying to myself otherwise !
Boiled egg half an advocado for breakfast
A grilled chicken breast with low fat Greek Yougurt and some spices
Salmon grilled with lots of greens
Greek Yougurt and a sprinkling of chopped fruit and seeds
I feel really annoyed because I thought by now I would have seen some tiny change at least it really makes me want to give up
I was doing under 10 thousand steps before and weighed the same ..I feel am putting in more effort and getting nothing what's going on anyone ??

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Unless you are weighing and tracking your food, you have no idea how much you are actually eating. You could still be eating only at maintenance.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    fannytoot wrote: »
    hi I've posted a few times before and I probably sound impatient here ...
    I have been doing an hour on the treadmill for 6 weeks now jogging and walking uphill as fast as I can ...I also have a fit bit flex and average between 18 thousand and up to 23 thousand steps a day as I also walk everywhere when I can ..
    I started this 6 weeks ago I am trying to tone up a bit and maybe loose a couple of pounds I weigh 8 stone 9 and am 5ft 2 so I don't really want to lose a lot
    My problem is I thought I would give myself 8 weeks as that is when I've read your supposed to have seen a change in your body
    I weigh the exact same I haven't lost a pound or even an inch I measured
    I eat a really healthy diet I don't keep a diary as I was only looking to lose a few pounds or at least tone up
    An example of my day and I know you've only got my word for it but I'm being honest here I would only be lying to myself otherwise !
    Boiled egg half an advocado for breakfast
    A grilled chicken breast with low fat Greek Yougurt and some spices
    Salmon grilled with lots of greens
    Greek Yougurt and a sprinkling of chopped fruit and seeds
    I feel really annoyed because I thought by now I would have seen some tiny change at least it really makes me want to give up
    I was doing under 10 thousand steps before and weighed the same ..I feel am putting in more effort and getting nothing what's going on anyone ??

This is your problem

Weigh and log your food

Aim for 0.5lb per week

and if your goal is looking 'toned' (shudder) then you should be lifting heavy things and putting them down again not just cardio
  • fannytoot
    fannytoot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sorry should have said mainly wanted to tone up my horrible legs ..
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Still about lifting .. and squatting and lunging .. with heavy weights

and tone .. still not a real word .. sorry
  • fannytoot
    fannytoot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm obviously a bit thick when it comes to this ...I will now remember tone is not a real word thanks for your advice
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    It's not about thick .. it's about a learning curve

I was happy to use 'toning' less than a year ago .. now that I know more about the body not so much :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have been doing an hour on the treadmill for 6 weeks now jogging and walking uphill as fast as I can ...I also have a fit bit flex and average between 18 thousand and up to 23 thousand steps a day as I also walk everywhere when I can.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Don't log any step-based activity. Your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) in Fitbit—not MFP.

Follow your MFP calorie goal, eating back your adjustments.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Tone: (verb) to give greater strength or firmness (to the body or a part thereof) - Oxford Dictionary

Funny how a word that isn't real has a definition in a reputable dictionary.
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Tone: (verb) to give greater strength or firmness (to the body or a part thereof) - Oxford Dictionary

lol
  • pmg2000m
    pmg2000m Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's helpful to weigh and log your food to see how much you are actually eating. It helps you keep on track, and also stay in the recommended balance of carbs/fat/protein.

Also, you may be able to cut your cardio down to 30 minutes 3 times a week (instead of an hour), and use that other 30 minutes to do some strength training. Using weights definitely helps give you some definition, and helps to burn fat. If you start using weights, you'll definitely start to see progress in the next month or so.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you dont wnat to give up then how about not giving up? how about learning about what it is you are trying to do and then doing it effectively? <amahe your expectaions so they are realistic.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

my god THANK YOU for existing.... I still don't get those people that refuse the existence of the word Tone

• joeykay818
    joeykay818 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Walking is not going to build more muscle, as mentioned above. You are going to have to do squats and lunges, and using a weight even if you only start with 5lbs in each hand will help you see results sooner. If you can get to a gym and see a trainer they will be able to help. Otherwise, if you prefer home workouts, look up some exercises on the internet that involve different kinds of squats and lunges (yes there are variations).
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I think as mentioned above, you need to get a better handle on just how many calories you are eating vs burning. Get a food scale and track you actual calories in for a couple of weeks. Sync your fitbit with MFP and set up your profile for a .5 pound a week loss and try following it. See if that gets you moving in the right direction.

No sense in giving up when you have not tried the above.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

This is the definition of muscle tone:

The Actual Definition of Muscle Tone

Muscle tone, also known as muscle tonus or residual muscle tension, is an unconscious low level contraction of your muscles while they are at rest. Essentially, muscle tone is what makes your muscles still feel somewhat firm while you are resting and not intentionally tensing them. You know how your muscles feel much firmer when you intentionally tense them? And how you feel a decrease in firmness the less you tense (i.e. contract) them? Well, that small remaining amount of firmness that you feel in your muscles when they are completely relaxed, with no intentional tensing, is your muscle tone.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/articles/muscle-tone.aspx

People don't build muscle tone by resistance work, they build muscle/strength.

Beware of "fitness experts" that talk about "toning". With a bit of research you will find they don't know jack sh#t.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Walking, even uphill and such, will not give you the definition in your legs you want. Sign up for a few sessions with a personal trainer to learn safe and proper form when weightlifting and have fun getting strong!