Strength Training

Options
Ok, so I'm not too far from my goal (yay!), but I'd really like to begin strength training. I'm going to be honest, I know as much on this topic as a toddler does about sitting still. If you guys can share ANY knowledge I'd love you, because I know...nothing. I tried to Google and YouTube stuff but all it did was make me feel even more like an idiot,and was really discouraging.

Replies

• hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I recommend you start 30 days shred program by Jillian Michaels; it is a great program; a combination of cardio and light strength training that will prepare you for serious weight lifting. My wife follows the program and she got good results, lost 2 kgs and toned some body parts.
  • BronxBStanfield
    BronxBStanfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You have several options. Many people on here have had great success with the book _New Rules of Lifting For Women_, and I've also seen quite a few posts about Jamie Eason's Live Fit (this I believe you can look up for free online). Bobybuiding.com offers lots of different plans based on your goals. Personally, I use the Jefit app and switch up my routine every 12 weeks. Of course, you could always hire a trainer, but not all of them are created equally, so carefully choose yours if you go that route. Congrats on your success so far and good luck on your next chapter in fitness!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - I would suggest looking into starting strength, new rules of lifting for woman, or strong lifts. Pick one of the programs and run it for four to six months and then maybe bump up to something a little more intermediate.

30 day shred is pretty much a cardio program and I would not classify it as strength training…

Do you have access to a gym with barbells, squat racks, etc?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - I would suggest looking into starting strength, new rules of lifting for woman, or strong lifts. Pick one of the programs and run it for four to six months and then maybe bump up to something a little more intermediate.

30 day shred is pretty much a cardio program and I would not classify it as strength training…

^ Agree
    Good thing about a strength program is you can gain strength while eating at a deficit. Since you are new, you should know that you will retain water in muscles a touch especially when you start so don't be alarmed if the scale number bumps up out of no where.

If you don't care for one of the three excellent programs mentioned above, you should head over to BB.com and they will have many programs to chose from.

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Those are good programs. I'd add one to the list, Thinner Leaner Stronger by Mike Matthews. His program for men (Bigger Leaner Stronger) is the one I'm following. Both of those are books that cover everything from nutrition to workout routines. He also has a lot of supplemental info at muscleforlife.com

Whichever program you choose, it's important to start with a good strength training program (not thinly disguised cardio) based on lifting heavy with compound lifts, and to stick with it. Ignore the hype about muscle confusion. With a good program you will continually challenge yourself by progressively overloading your muscles ever-increasing weights, and you'll be able to measure your progress through reduced body fat and strength gains.
  • christykae82
    christykae82 Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That's awesome you are going to add strength training! It will not only aid in your weight loss, but can help speed your journey up as well. I have only been lifting for about 5 months, but the changes in my body (as opposed to just cardio) are incredible. As mentioned above, you can find a lot of plans online. When I first started lifting I completed this plan:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

I had great results with it, and it is pretty straight forward. If you are unsure on how to do some of the lifts, I would spend some time on bodybuilding.com and watch as many videos as you can. I also hired a personal trainer for just one session to insure my form was okay. Do not be intimidated by all the guys you usually find on that side of the gym. Once you jump in and get started you will be hooked!! The scale warning is true as well, you may see some fluctuation for a few weeks (I did too). But it all goes back to where it should be very quickly.

Good luck!!
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Like others have suggested, start heavy lifting (compound lifts). Start with a progressive overload program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. You can also try New Rules of Lifting or Strong Curves.

Jillian Michaels has some great programs, but those are more HIIT than pure strength training.
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I recommend you start 30 days shred program by Jillian Michaels; it is a great program; a combination of cardio and light strength training that will prepare you for serious weight lifting. My wife follows the program and she got good results, lost 2 kgs and toned some body parts.

Do you pay for the program?

I ask because I already have my gym membership so I want to use what I'm already paying for
  • KayNowayJose
    Options
    _YourLoss_ wrote: »
    You have several options. Many people on here have had great success with the book _New Rules of Lifting For Women_, and I've also seen quite a few posts about Jamie Eason's Live Fit (this I believe you can look up for free online). Bobybuiding.com offers lots of different plans based on your goals. Personally, I use the Jefit app and switch up my routine every 12 weeks. Of course, you could always hire a trainer, but not all of them are created equally, so carefully choose yours if you go that route. Congrats on your success so far and good luck on your next chapter in fitness!

I just downloaded that app, and it is amazing! I now know what machine does what :-P

• GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I already have my gym membership so I want to use what I'm already paying for

If you want something completely free of cost that you can do at your gym then SL 5x5 is the way to go. You won't have to buy literature/books/DVDs etc.
  • KayNowayJose
    Options

Yes! I do. I just have no clue how to use them, how often, or long, any of that. Plus, I do spinning and go swimming, should I do the strength stuff before all this now?
  • BronxBStanfield
    BronxBStanfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com
    I really messed that up lol :D
    Oh, and it's also free
  • KayNowayJose
    Options
    Thanks to you guys I have been reading, watching videos and downloading like crazy, thank you SO much!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Yes! I do. I just have no clue how to use them, how often, or long, any of that. Plus, I do spinning and go swimming, should I do the strength stuff before all this now?

You do which ever is your primary focus first.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I agree with that statement somewhat...I did 30DS before I started lifting and it does have a bit of bodyweight resistance training and small weights. I personally feel it's a good induction into resistance training which can then lead to full on strength training.

When I started 30DS I could do maybe 10 on my knee pushups...after 2 rounds I could easily do 40-50 full on pushups...then I started lifting.

OP if you are intimidated by the compound lifts have an experienced lifter at your gym show you how to do them or a PT (note that is not always the best option be wary of them pointing you to other areas of the gym)

Or

If you are intimidated by the programs mentioned like Strong lifts...try the 30 days shred (dvd for about 10$ at walmart) and if you like where it is leading you...you will probably like lifting...if you don't like lifting you can always continue with resistance training using other DVD's like extreme shed and shred or body revolution (I think that's what it's called)
  • burpeepenalty
    burpeepenalty Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to get a trainer of sorts to help start in the heavy lifting department I would say that you look at bodybuilding.com as one poster said and also find a friend to go with to the gym. Technique is the hardest part to get down, but once you figure out all the lifts and the correct technique it is all about increasing the weight and you will reach your goals!
  • HaleyBrom
    HaleyBrom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This has helped me I have just started weight training I have got programmes off of bodybuilding.com