Portion Distortion...

Options
So I have always been pretty athletic my entire life until getting married and starting corporate life.

When I was in college I was on a running team for fun training for marathons and half marathons everyday.

Now with my busy schedule I work out 5 days a week but I dont run like I used to..however I still think that it is okay to eat an extra banana here (even when I am not hungry) or unlimited amounts of fruit and not gain weight. I feel like I was inevitable to gaining with with limitless amounts of fruit. It was my safety net. If dinner is not for an hour then have an apple. The fruit and the carbs stack on.

I am realizing no matter how many times I fail a calorie is a calorie no matter what the food is. Even if it is perceived as a "Good" food it is still a calorie.

This dysfunctional behavior I had about eating produce has come into other areas of my life. For example I made homeade lean meatballs. Ate like 5 of them...

I finally bought a food scale. Do any of you have some tips to live a lifestyle of measuring without feeling like you are torturing yourself?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If a food scale is torture, it won't last long. You'd be better off finding another way to keep your calories in check.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    It only seems torturous at first. But once you get the hang of weighing everything you consume and logging it accurately, it just becomes part of your daily routine and it's no biggie. Weighing my foods takes up about 12 mins of my day total. So 12 minutes broken down throughout the day isn't torture. Eyeballing portions doesn't work for most people that are just starting out. They assume they are eating one serving and it's really four servings.
    But if your the type of person that could take things too far and become obsessive over things easily, then it might not be for you.
    At least you've already figured out that cico works. Carbs, fruit, whatever , doesn't make someone gain weight. Eating at a surplus makes someone gain weight. So for losing weight all you need to do is create a deficit. How will you know that your eating at a deficit?!That's where weighing your foods will come in handy!
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It does not feel like torture. I thought it would and have refused to weight my food as a result for years, but when I finally did it and broke down and purchased a digital scale, I found it was no big deal and only takes a few minutes a day and leaves me feeling calm and prepared.

Preparation is everything. You have to let go of spur of the minute spontaneity. There is no *grabbing* anything in your new lifestyle, unless you have first worked out if that item will fit into your calories. Calculate first, then eat, not the other way round.

Plan in advance and there is no feeling hungry or desperate and no need to grab anything. There was another poster who pointed out (I can't remember which thread) that we need to also quit the idea that the only time we are allowed to eat is when we are starving and cannot wait any longer. That is actually the worst time as you are more likely to be impulsive. Eat when you can rationally think "yeah, I could eat now" and not "I HAVE TO EAT NOW". Eat before you are hungry and you will make more rational choices.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Yep, this^^.
    I actually don't mind weighing my food!
    You'll learn to get used to it.
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    It does not feel like torture. I thought it would and have refused to weight my food as a result for years, but when I finally did it and broke down and purchased a digital scale, I found it was no big deal and only takes a few minutes a day and leaves me feeling calm and prepared.

Preparation is everything. You have to let go of spur of the minute spontaneity. There is no *grabbing* anything in your new lifestyle, unless you have first worked out if that item will fit into your calories. Calculate first, then eat, not the other way round.

Plan in advance and there is no feeling hungry or desperate and no need to grab anything. There was another poster who pointed out (I can't remember which thread) that we need to also quit the idea that the only time we are allowed to eat is when we are starving and cannot wait any longer. That is actually the worst time as you are more likely to be impulsive. Eat when you can rationally think "yeah, I could eat now" and not "I HAVE TO EAT NOW". Eat before you are hungry and you will make more rational choices.

Great advice! Pre-logging, planning has been so important for me. I like to test my eyeballing skillz with my food scale makes it more fun. Yeah I'm lame.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I think of my food scale like I think of my eye glasses. Just a tool to help me focus.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it...it's easy quick and saves dishes.

It actually gives me a sense of accomplishment now as I am pretty good with estimating now and I know that based on my scale.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I like weighing my portions. I sometimes weigh stuff even when I know how much it is because, for example, I've bought a half pound package of two steaks that are probably 4 ounces each. Obsessive, I know. o:)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I like weighing my portions. I sometimes weigh stuff even when I know how much it is because, for example, I've bought a half pound package of two steaks that are probably 4 ounces each. Obsessive, I know. o:)

I weight prepackaged food...I have only found maybe 5 that were accurate...my yogurt and toppable crakcers come to mind...5 really are 19grams...consistently
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I weight prepackaged food...I have only found maybe 5 that were accurate...my yogurt and toppable crakcers come to mind...5 really are 19grams...consistently

Yup. It is INSANE just how much packaged food is off.

My son loves when I go to GNC to stock up on Quest bars. He likes to weigh them for me. He puts a little label on them with the correct weight and everything. He says it make him feel like a scientist.

• SezxyStef
    Options

My son loves when I go to GNC to stock up on Quest bars. He likes to weigh them for me. He puts a little label on them with the correct weight and everything. He says it make him feel like a scientist.
    that is so cute and sweet...awwww what a good boy.

• SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    there are 2 things that make it easier:

1. The "tare" button. I put my plate on the scale and push "tare". This sets it to zero. I add the rice.... and jot the number down. (This also helps you add/take out spoonfuls if you have a desired amount to consume.) Then: press tare again, so it's back to zero. Add the chicken... jot it down (unless you weighed it raw. You can weigh it raw and log it as " raw chicken" when searching the data entries... or weigh it "boiled" or whatever and search for "boiled chicken" on the data entries and use that). Press tare again, so it's back to zero. Add the broccoli... jot it down. Tare --> zero. Add tomatoes... jot it down. Tare, zero. Add tha mayo... jot it down (take out some if amount added was more than intended).

2. The " grams" option allows you to weigh in grams which makes it easier to log any amount. Say you weighed the boiled black beans you're eating and it's 112 grams. When you log, you search for boiled black beans, select the 100g portion and enter 1.12. (Because 1.12 x 100 = 112g). If you, say, pressed tare to reset to zero and then sprinkled parmesan chese on those beans and got 34g... then you search for grated parmesan cheese, select 100 g, and log 0.34 (because 0.34 x 100 = 34g.)

And then just log all you've scribbled at some point of the day. Peacefully drinking tea.

Lol, it sounds complicated, because it's complicated to write/read actions u.u

Look, I wrote this with the best intentions "), but if it complicates you, ignore my ramble and just do it how it works for you. Doing is how we learn anyway :+1:

P.S. If you weigh peanut butter (hehe), put the spoon on the scale and tare. This will make the spoon " zero". Scoop up the peanut butter and weigh the peanut-buttered spoon. There's your peanut butter amount. Adjust (as in leave it, add some, remove some)... and jot it down. Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So I have always been pretty athletic my entire life until getting married and starting corporate life.

When I was in college I was on a running team for fun training for marathons and half marathons everyday.

Now with my busy schedule I work out 5 days a week but I dont run like I used to..however I still think that it is okay to eat an extra banana here (even when I am not hungry) or unlimited amounts of fruit and not gain weight. I feel like I was inevitable to gaining with with limitless amounts of fruit. It was my safety net. If dinner is not for an hour then have an apple. The fruit and the carbs stack on.

I am realizing no matter how many times I fail a calorie is a calorie no matter what the food is. Even if it is perceived as a "Good" food it is still a calorie.

This dysfunctional behavior I had about eating produce has come into other areas of my life. For example I made homeade lean meatballs. Ate like 5 of them...

I finally bought a food scale. Do any of you have some tips to live a lifestyle of measuring without feeling like you are torturing yourself?

I weigh my everything I eat, except when I eat out- I guesstimate at people's homes, or I pick something lower calorie from the menu when eating out-because I still don't have a clue what a portion looks like. I love weighing my food, too, so it's not torture for me.

If you think that weighing your food is going to be torture, you are probably setting yourself up for it to be torture--but, if you want to know how many calories you are eating and be accurate about it, weighing is the only way to do it. Measuring cups, spoons, and eyeballs are often not accurate; at least in my case, eyeballs can be so deceiving.

You need to decide what you want, and then you are going to have to really want to lose weight. If you don't really want it, it won't happen.

A food scale is a real eye opener, by the way. There is no such thing as all bananas being 110 calories, or all apples, oranges, grapes, etc. being only a certain calorie content. I've eaten bananas that look similar in size but vary significantly in grams, which means their calorie content varies (anywhere from 90 to 145 calories, in fact).

You need to decide what works best for you. :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

My son uses my scale to weigh his toys and action figures most of the time :-) lol
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

This. I've found few prepackaged foods that actually weight what the package says.

My Dannon Greek Yogurt is always less than 150 grams per package, but those 100 calorie snack packs are always more than 100 calories.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

This. I've found few prepackaged foods that actually weight what the package says.

My Dannon Greek Yogurt is always less than 150 grams per package, but those 100 calorie snack packs are always more than 100 calories.

:open_mouth: !
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »

What isn't torture for one person may well be torture for another. My grandmother has logged the high and low temperature and some other weather type stuff every day for decades. She can pull out notebooks and tell you what the temperature was on such and such day and how much rain fell. But me, I've never liked doing that kind of stuff. I have several journals that I've started over the years, because I thought it would be a good thing to do, that have three or four pages with something on them and the rest are blank. I just can't do it.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

We should start a list of accurate ones.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I am not a good cook, and I live alone (except for my cat). I microwave much. De riguer for me:
    • Put Pyrex bowl on food scale.
    • Weigh cauliflower
    • Press "Tare"
    • Weigh broccoli
    • Press "Tare"
    • Weigh spinach or kale or onions (you get the point)
    • Press "Tare"
    • Put lid on (not tight) and microwave at 70% for about 15 minutes (everything is frozen)
    • Weigh eggs, tofu, etc.
    • Cook in frying pan
    • Measure egg whites
    • Add to frying pan
    • Weigh beans, anything else to go in with veggies in microwave.
    • Add frying pan to veggies and mix.
    • Portion out into smaller pyrex bowls.
    • Put recipe into MFP.

For work lunches I put weighed veggies and protein in pyrex and microwave it at the office. I have a variety of proteins: mani mani burgers, garden "chicken" tenders, trader joe's chicken tenders, morning star farms black bean burgers, tilapia filets, canned tuna. Put the frozen veggies on top of the protein and it keeps everything moist without added oil.

Sometimes I'll make a big batch of quinoa or red lentil pasta (high protein, high fiber) on the weekend and portion it out as well throughout the week. My week days are pretty compacted (two jobs, workouts) and I really NEED my sleep.

I weekdays I eat 5-6 small meals per day. My schedule is crazy with long meetings. I keep Quest bars and chicken jerky in my briefcase and drink a protein shake in the morning for breakfast (neat, portable food works for me).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Yes. This is important to realize. And some of that good food can have more calories than you expect.

My advice is to log everything and pay attention to how things look as you weigh and measure. Sometimes eyeball the portion and then check with the scale/measuring cup to see if you were right.
    I like to pre-log my food for the whole day. I know I get hungry in the late afternoon and evening so I just plan a small snack for those times that fits my calorie goal.