faster weight loss = bigger caloric deficit, it's that simple

so eat less and/or move more
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    deniztuzu2 wrote: »
    Weigh your food, count your calories.

thank you. I loathe counting (calories, points, syns - you name it I've been there) but I am really serious about this now, and I want to do whatever I can in the next 6 weeks. So I will go and start doing that now.

The app does the counting for you. All you have to do is weigh your food and enter it into your diary :).

sounds good. I'll use it on my macbook for now as my phone is away getting fixed. Then I'll install it on my phone too - which seems quicker to you?

I prefer pre logging on the computer - it's easier to check the accuracy of entries or make changes.

And AMEN to the chocolate being more satisfied than a sweet potato brownie. I tried to convince myself for so long that I loved these "healthy" substitute foods... Pfft.

I agree--log on the computer at first. It's more complete than the AP. Get a good digital scale. it will be your best friend in the next couple months. As said, ditch the diet ideas. Eat the correct amount for your stats, and don't give up--ever. B)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has been saying, you do not need to "eat clean" or count carbs or fat for weight loss. It also doesnt matter what times you eat. It's actually very simple, find the correct caloric deficit for you, and eat that many calores.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    thank you all! You make it sound much easier (although it's not easy eating 1200 calories when you're not used to it but I will get used to it. That's what MFP says I should be consuming).

Did you set it to lose 2 lb per week? That's a pretty big ask when you don't have a lot to lose. Reset it to 1 lb a week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    One thing though everyone - I've been "educated" that low fat foods like yoghurt, milk etc. are bad for me as they contain nasties. I'm hoping I can cope without going back to "fat free". Anyone any thoughts on this? (obviously the spray oil is a deviation from this).

why fat free? you need fat to help absorb vitamins and minerals.

and what is your rate of lose per week? 1200 typically is the lowest MFP will go and it is usually because someone has chosen 2lbs a week....and remember to eat back at least 50-75% of your exercise calories back.
  • leanne_townsend
    leanne_townsend Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    thanks all - great advice. I like that everyone is pretty much in agreement (can be a problem when asking advice online if every bit of advice is different!).
    thank you all! You make it sound much easier (although it's not easy eating 1200 calories when you're not used to it but I will get used to it. That's what MFP says I should be consuming).

Did you set it to lose 2 lb per week? That's a pretty big ask when you don't have a lot to lose. Reset it to 1 lb a week.

Yeah I did but it says I will only lose 1.2lb per week :( I REALLY want to lose 2 a week, giving me a stab at a size 14 for my holiday. Surely, 2 lb a week can be done? Everyone here is saying I don't have a lot to lose but I do have 2 stone to lose in total.

• leanne_townsend
    Options
    p.s. I've been logging - do you guys make your diaries public so people can advise, or better to be private?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    thanks all - great advice. I like that everyone is pretty much in agreement (can be a problem when asking advice online if every bit of advice is different!).

Yeah I did but it says I will only lose 1.2lb per week :( I REALLY want to lose 2 a week, giving me a stab at a size 14 for my holiday. Surely, 2 lb a week can be done? Everyone here is saying I don't have a lot to lose but I do have 2 stone to lose in total.

I know it feels like a lot to you, but it really isn't. The reason it's saying you will only lose 1.2 lb per week is because 1200 cals is the lowest MFP will go for women, because it is very difficult to meet your nutritional needs on less than that.
    p.s. I've been logging - do you guys make your diaries public so people can advise, or better to be private?

If you'd like advice, make it public :)
  • leanne_townsend
    Options
    ok thanks Nony-Mouse, will do. Let's see then, if I stick to the plan, how accurate MFP will be. Perhaps I can lose 1.5-2lb per week, it has been known in the past.

I don't want to ever go back, but I really don't understand why Slimming World works so well, when it lets you have unlimited amounts of certain foods, therefore you're probably way over calories wise. But yet it seems to work...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You seem determined to make something simple as complex as possible!
    Stop with all the nonsense of clean eating, Paleo/Primal, exclusion diets, categorising food as good or bad, short term challenges. It really isn't helping you is it?
    Your logic isn't actually logic I'm afraid - it's just a bunch of beliefs and fads.

Log your food accurately, choose an appropriate calorie deficit that is sustainable and do some exercise that you enjoy.

Losing 14lbs in 6 weeks is very aggressive and unlikely to be a good idea when you don't have a great deal to lose.

Suggest you read the sticky threads in the Getting Started forum.

This +1, saved me the effort of having to type it. OP you are all over the place, so its no surprise that youve swing from one thing to the other and none of them have worked. Its about you and your approach. If you calorie count properly then you will lose weight over time. You need to absorb the simple basic concepts and then you will start realising what your misconceptions are over a number of topics. If you have only 6 weeks then you need to get to grips quickly with things so imo you can lose about 5-10lbs between now and your holiday. Get smart and lose the rest when you return by being consistent.

Nope slimming world works but giving you the illusion of freedom and statistically people still eat at a deficit. MFP is calorie counting laid bare, no gimmicks.

By all means try to lose 2lb a week, but you will find it hard to create an accurate 7,000 calorie a week deficit. Nope 2stone isnt a lot to lose when compared to several people on these forums who are 300lbs +.

Keep it simple, do the basics well, be realistic and you will lose weight.
  • leanne_townsend
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Stop with all the nonsense of clean eating, Paleo/Primal, exclusion diets, categorising food as good or bad, short term challenges. It really isn't helping you is it?
    Your logic isn't actually logic I'm afraid - it's just a bunch of beliefs and fads.

Log your food accurately, choose an appropriate calorie deficit that is sustainable and do some exercise that you enjoy.

Losing 14lbs in 6 weeks is very aggressive and unlikely to be a good idea when you don't have a great deal to lose.

This +1, saved me the effort of having to type it. OP you are all over the place, so its no surprise that youve swing from one thing to the other and none of them have worked. Its about you and your approach. If you calorie count properly then you will lose weight over time. You need to absorb the simple basic concepts and then you will start realising what your misconceptions are over a number of topics. If you have only 6 weeks then you need to get to grips quickly with things so imo you can lose about 5-10lbs between now and your holiday. Get smart and lose the rest when you return by being consistent.

Nope slimming world works but giving you the illusion of freedom and statistically people still eat at a deficit. MFP is calorie counting laid bare, no gimmicks.

By all means try to lose 2lb a week, but you will find it hard to create an accurate 7,000 calorie a week deficit. Nope 2stone isnt a lot to lose when compared to several people on these forums who are 300lbs +.

Keep it simple, do the basics well, be realistic and you will lose weight.

OK thank you 999tigger. Yes I agree I am all over the place. My friends would agree with you there. I had hoped that I could knock "diets" on the head with this clean eating, but it seems it was just one more fad. Albeit one that made me feel more energetic and younger and my skin glow! (although that might have also been in part due to stopping drinking).

I will focus on this one key thing you have all told me: keep it simple, energy in energy out. Thank you :)

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

This. All this low carb paleo clean eating isn't needed.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Part of your problem is that you want this to be a short term quick fix. If you think that way you are heading towards yo-yo weight loss/gain which is not healthy. You also won't be very happy because when you are heavier you will feepl bad and when you are losing you will feel deprived.
    If you overeat due to emotional issues get counselling to deal with those instead of self medicating with food.
    You need a plan where you choose to eat things you like in moderation within the calorie levels that let you maintain the weight best for you.
    Finally you didn't gain this overnight. Trying to lose it quickly sets you up to fail and feel bad. And even if you have success you will feel so deprived that you're likely to "let go" and gain back.
    How about a vacation where you can have the satisfaction of knowing you are on a path to long term control.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    PS
    That's why I kept the picture of the unicorn rainbow kitten fairy. There's no magic fix. No fairy dust. Choices lead us to overweight and our choices let us lose. No magic and no quick fix.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

OK thank you 999tigger. Yes I agree I am all over the place. My friends would agree with you there. I had hoped that I could knock "diets" on the head with this clean eating, but it seems it was just one more fad. Albeit one that made me feel more energetic and younger and my skin glow! (although that might have also been in part due to stopping drinking).

I will focus on this one key thing you have all told me: keep it simple, energy in energy out. Thank you :)

There's no reason why you can't eat "clean" and count calories at the same time, is there? In fact if you want your calorie deficit to be as high as possible while remaining healthy it makes sense to cut out any junk so you can get the required nutrition on fewer calories (i.e. no wasted calories).

• SallyinIL
    SallyinIL Posts: 85 Member
    Options

There's no reason why you can't eat "clean" and count calories at the same time, is there? In fact if you want your calorie deficit to be as high as possible while remaining healthy it makes sense to cut out any junk so you can get the required nutrition on fewer calories (i.e. no wasted calories).

Love this!

• maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    thanks both. What does "halve MyFitnessPal database burns" mean? (sorry)

I think what they mean by this is to only eat back half of the calories that MFP recommends based on your activity. Folks have said that MFP overestimates how many calories are burned, and so if you follow that and eat back all of the calories it recommends it will be too many. I would have to agree with this also because in the past I ate back what MFP recommended and didn't lose as effectively. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    2 stone is 28 pounds. With so little to lose, you should lose 1 pound a week, otherwise your goal will be too aggressive and it will be hard to get all of the nutrients your body requires.
  • leanne_townsend
    Options
    ok thanks all. I will try and stick to "clean" but with the odd small bar of 90% dark choc thrown in for good measure! Also I will reintroduce carbs as I am missing them so much! I actually can't wait to have a small baked potato, one of my faves.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I set my loss rate at 1 pound a week and MFP gives me 1220 cals per day. I eat pretty much all of my exercise calories back and eat 1600 on average per day. I've lost 8 pounds in six weeks. I eat a wide variety of foods that I enjoy including treats in moderation. Feel free to take a peek at my diary.

Good luck to you!