Don't believe society's lies about age and hormones.

Options
californiagirl2012
californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
edited May 2015 in Motivation and Support
When I started losing fat at age 48 and was frustrated by my previous 15 years of yo-yo dieting people would say "Why don't you just accept the fact that this is what happens when you get older".

That slow creep of weight over the decades, like 10 or more pounds per year? Well that is not hormones, that is accumulating a "fat debt" just like a mortgage debt. You just have to knuckle down and pay it off.

Sure I still struggle with adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, and serious menopause hormones. Right now I'm so sick of hot flashes I want to scream. But they don't cause weight gain, they cause stress on the body and make it hard to control the food intake. So you have to find a way to reduce stress and control you environment so you make better choices (at least most of the time).

We are all human and we all sort of stumble forward in this journey.

Of course you love food, you are human, we need it to survive. I always want MORE than I need. ALWAYS. I always have to remind myself I can have more next time.

There is nothing wrong with you if you want to eat more all the time. You just need to change your habits and find better ways to reduce stress.

Roberta-BnA-Red-top-Red-dress-dont-believe-societys-lie_zpsxlk3tzea.jpg

MFP is the perfect tool. There are no quick fixes. It's the nice slow deficit. When you over eat as we all do, you can't fix it in one day of fasting or eating to low - that will just backfire and most people binge after they do that.

This holiday weekend I'm reminded of the things I have learned in the last 7 years of this journey (3 years of the big fat loss phase, and 5 years of maintaining), after spending my previous 50 years overweight and all the way up to obese:

Remember you can make your own "food rules" at picnics and social gatherings.

No matter what anyone is doing or saying, or trying to convince you to put into your body you can DECIDE to OWN IT. Don't let someone else decide for you.

One of the biggest mentality changes you can make with this lifestyle is taking that ownership back. Never again give that ownership to another person. You don't owe anyone an explanation about it. You don't have to defend it.

"No thank you." End of story. Just do what you need to do.

For the most part I avoid drinking my food energy (calories), I take rich fatty foods in small doses and it better be "to die for" delicious and worth it.

I feel better when I have that little bit of desert after eating protein first.

If you are trying to stick to a lean fat loss plan for the day stick to lean meats and avoid the creams, dressings, and sauces full of sugar and fat.

If you want to try everything, have little bites. It doesn't always have to be a heaping serving. Learn to be satisfied that you can have little bites of just about everything and not feel deprived.

Avoid the term "bad food" or cheating. Eating is not bad. Eating is not cheating. We are meant to eat.

I like to drink water in a fancy glass with lemon or lime and enjoy getting involved in conversation. This makes time fly, it's fun, and talking and LISTENING is easier when you are not eating at the same time - just sipping on water and watching people and listening.

BE PROUD, that you can be different and succeed. It is FUN to SUCCEED.

If you over eat, no big deal, it's not the end of the world, tomorrow is a new day.

OWN IT and move on.

Roberta

Replies

• opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Amen to all of that wonderful advice! There should be a "like" button on here.
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I'm basically started my journey at 37 so this really helps put into perspective what my body should be able to do still and not listen to the young guns who for some silly reason think their ability to continue to grow will stall in their 30s
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Great words!

But the title is a little misleading.

Gaining weight CAN be down to hormonal imbalances/deficiencies.

However... Those are few and far between.

And a lot of the time people hide behind psychological crutches "I can't do this because i've got something wrong with me".

The "something wrong" is not wanting to take responsibility for themselves.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Agreed I started at 41...down 60lbs...I am the same size I was in high school..and I know this cause I can fit into my prom dress...fits like a glove.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finding what works for YOU.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I opened my computer looking for support. I found your posting:) Amazing ! Exactly what I need it . Thank you !
  • lbpena119
    lbpena119 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You helped put things in perspective for me too.

Thank you Roberta.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    YAY YAY YAY on all your comments. You all made my day. That this little nobody 54 year old hidden in the mountains may have a small bit of worth for the benefit of others. <3<3<3
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Shadowsan wrote: »
    Great words!

But the title is a little misleading.

Gaining weight CAN be down to hormonal imbalances/deficiencies.

However... Those are few and far between.

And a lot of the time people hide behind psychological crutches "I can't do this because i've got something wrong with me".

The "something wrong" is not wanting to take responsibility for themselves.

Yes, I know there are some rare cases. But the problem is most of us think we are in that rare case. Go to the doctor and they can run tests. They did on me and all they wanted was to give me drugs. I said yes on the bio-identical HRT, no on the drugs that I would have to take for life, got a lot of different doctor opinions. Mostly they wanted to give me anti-depressants.

You gotta make your own choices, but for the most part, hormones and age simply make it an obstacle. It did for me, and it still comes down to food. MFP will help if you push aside the emotions and paranoia and stop making hormone paranoia excuses.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration. <3
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    mmnv79 wrote: »
    You're an inspiration. <3

Thank you <3<3<3 Happy Memorial Day (if you are in the USA, or even if you are not B)