Quitting Sugar - any success stories out there

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    2.7 grams in 1 cup seems off, though, especially with 16 grams of carbs. What kind of yogurt is this? What other carbs would it have?

Not sure; it has a minor amount of fibre which will count to the total. Maker's website shows a similar confusing mix. Others available typically are 5-6g carbs comprised of 5-6g sugars / 175ml (roughly 3/4 cup). Danone plain Greek likewise lists 4g sugars, 8g carbs. No explanation.

I'm not particularly worried provided the ingredient list is essentially two, as it should be.

I'm not worried either--as mentioned above I think worrying about lactose is idiotic unless you have a health issue. A normal serving size is a half cup or 122.5 grams, so that's normally about 5 grams of sugar (and carbs). I like Fage, but I also like standard yogurt from a local farm from time to time and that's 160 calories for a cup (whole), 11 grams sugar, only 9 grams protein. It doesn't fit my macros as well as Fage, especially lower fat Fage, but otherwise I see nothing unhealthy about it.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I agree...we American are in love w our sugar! I was craving some tonight. especially after a meal i get the craving bad! We threw out all the bad stuff & now have apple sauce, granola bars or yogurt to choose from. We actually have some outshine frut & veggie bars,.lemon yogurt edy bars & weight watcher dark choc & dulce de leche bars. Just try to pick up low fat & low sugar, more natural sweet alternatives.

Def don't go to Dairy Queen! made that mistake yesterday! Had a waffle cone w cotton candy blizzard. Entered it on Fitness Pal.& it was 855 cal for a mall.w 16+ fat grams!!!! I was in.shock. Trying not to beat myself. up...

See, this is the part I don't understand with the whole 'anti-sugar' thing-the things you're now eating have just as much, if not more, sugar than then the things people are labeling 'bad' because of their sugar content. But somehow these things are magically 'better'. Boggles my mind :p

A serving of plain M&Ms has LESS sugar than your weight watcher's dark chocolate & dulce de leche bars, applesauce or one of those Outshine fruit and veggie bars ;)
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    I'm looking at the label of my 0% fat free Greek yogurt and it shows 0 fat, 18g protein and 5g sugars, so there ya go.

So this means no greek yogurt comes in different sizes or has fat?

I'm not saying that at all but you can choose one without fat. There are ones that do have fat and you're right, there's nothing wrong with fat, but if you're tweaking your percentages late in the day and need more protein without fat, then you choose that. I eat lots of fat through other sources, so I don't need it with yogurt.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I'm on a fairly restrictive caloric intake diet; but, one meal I can make myself for no more than 550 calories a meal. Portion control is the best way to go - reading labels is also important. My granddaughter got me started on MFP. I do it by calories, she does it by counting macro/micro-something-or-the-other. I don't think I could do that. She swears by it; but, she has also gained that "Freshman 15" (but says she eats healthy, just not able to exercise as much because of studying). Cutting back added sugar is something you have to do by tapering off (IMHO). Don't deny something you are craving, just cut back on how much you take of that - and adjust something else. Buy a good scale, measuring cups and spoons and use them religiously. Make sure that you get all food groups into your meals. I plan ahead (using my MFP) to figure out how many calories I will need to get in order to stay within my caloric intake. I can't be just told - go on a 1200 calorie a day diet and figure out what I need to eat - I do better if menu(s) are given to me - my imagination insofar as food isn't very good. I've been on this diet now for 2 weeks. I do not weigh myself other than at the MD's office; but, I can tell that my clothes are getting loose on me already. Able to fit in some of my jeans that I could not get in before.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    frut & veggie bars,.lemon yogurt edy bars & weight watcher dark choc & dulce de leche bars. Just try to pick up low fat & low sugar, more natural sweet alternatives.

If the goal is to reduce sugar and stick to natural things, dropping most processed year or energy bars altogether would be even better, in favour of berries and plain yogurt, or berries alone. Or a crisp apple.

It isn't impossible to switch cold turkey if you stock your kitchen with plenty of tasty, nutritious, alternatives. It is even easier if you don't buy the sugar laden stuff in the first place. Not there equals no temptation.

And DQ? Pre-log that one before you pull into the parking lot, and turn right around if avoiding that is your preferred outcome.
  • discovery1
    discovery1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get rid of wheat in all forms. All types turn to sugar quickly and is addictive. I'd also say up your calories by 100-150. Your body might be in starvation mode.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    discovery1 wrote: »
    Get rid of wheat in all forms. All types turn to sugar quickly and is addictive. I'd also say up your calories by 100-150. Your body might be in starvation mode.

That's a double whammy of bro science in one.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2015
    Options

And what information did OP give to call for such advice, I wonder.

You don't know her calories, what she eats, her preferences, etc.

Yet you advise her to up her calories and cut out wheat. Cool!

Also, if wheat were addictive, which of course it is not, it would be the world's most boring addiction.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Dannon Light & Fit yogurt, both Greek and standard. That's the one brand I've found with no or very little added sugar.

My standard snack/dessert these days is a cup of yogurt mixed with a cup of no-sugar-added frozen fruit. Most fruit thaws very quickly -- cherries and blueberries the fastest. It may sound weird, but I like to eat it before the fruit is really thawed. Especially with Greek yogurt, the fruit freezes the yog a bit, so it feels a little like ice cream.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    I eat a lot of Dannon Light & Fit yogurt, both Greek and standard. That's the one brand I've found with no or very little added sugar.

Any plain yogurt is going to have no added sugar. There are tons of brands. I like Fage, but have some Wallaby at home I'm trying now. There are seriously lots of options, though.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Nope.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    JanetMMcC wrote: »

Any plain yogurt is going to have no added sugar. There are tons of brands. I like Fage, but have some Wallaby at home I'm trying now. There are seriously lots of options, though.

Some "plain" yogurts include starches from corn or tapioca, or include agar -- all as thickeners -- among their ingredients.

It's always worth looking at the ingredient panel rather than the front label. Plain yogurt Greek or otherwise should only have two ingredients: milk, and bacteria cultures.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes, I always read the labels of anything I buy with one. For example, the Fage: Grade A Pasteurized Milk and Cream, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei). The Wallaby I mentioned earlier: Organic Cultured Pasteurized Nonfat Milk. Live Active Cultures L. acidophilus, L. bulgaricus, S. thermophilus, bifidus, L. paracasei.

There are plenty of such options.

Also the poster in question seemed particularly interested in "added sugar," as I think the Dannons typically have artificial sweeteners and various other ingredients besides the dairy.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    br3adman wrote: »
    More eggs and plain yogurt. 2 cups of plain yogurt is 200 calories and 20g of protein. It will help with sugar while you're in with drawls.
    Eggs and yogurt are two of my favorites so I'll try that.

Too bad both eggs and yogurt contain sugar...

I don't think eggs ever sabotaged anyone aiming to quit sugar......
  • NorthWoodsMomma
    NorthWoodsMomma Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I quit eating added sugar and, while I did not notice any change in energy level (I was eating enough calories that my body still had plenty of fuel), I did have MAJOR intense cravings for about two weeks. However, after that it got much easier. What I did notice regarding energy level, is that it was much more steady...I no longer had the energy slumps I used to.

I gave it up because having a little sugar always, without fail, set off cravings for more.

If you are noticing a decline in energy, maybe you could try just eating a little more of something high in protein or fat. It could be you just aren't eating enough. Otherwise, wait it out. If you are eating enough calories, then this is a temporary thing until your body adapts.
    My energy level is returning - I have been adding more calories, just not anything from added sugar and that's helping. I'm like you - if I have a little added sugar, it leads to cravings for more. Best thing for me is to just avoid it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I quit eating added sugar and, while I did not notice any change in energy level (I was eating enough calories that my body still had plenty of fuel), I did have MAJOR intense cravings for about two weeks. However, after that it got much easier. What I did notice regarding energy level, is that it was much more steady...I no longer had the energy slumps I used to.

I gave it up because having a little sugar always, without fail, set off cravings for more.

If you are noticing a decline in energy, maybe you could try just eating a little more of something high in protein or fat. It could be you just aren't eating enough. Otherwise, wait it out. If you are eating enough calories, then this is a temporary thing until your body adapts.
    My energy level is returning - I have been adding more calories, just not anything from added sugar and that's helping. I'm like you - if I have a little added sugar, it leads to cravings for more. Best thing for me is to just avoid it.

Glad you're adding calories. Eat as many as you can while still losing weight. And congrats on feeling well too!
  • NorthWoodsMomma
    Options
    More eggs and plain yogurt. 2 cups of plain yogurt is 200 calories and 20g of protein. It will help with sugar while you're in with drawls.

Let the trolling begin.
    The package of eggs I have in the fridge has no sugar, and the sugar in Greek yogurt (plain, no fruit or sweeteners) is lactose.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Let the trolling begin.
    The package of eggs I have in the fridge has no sugar, and the sugar in Greek yogurt (plain, no fruit or sweeteners) is lactose.

Two eggs will have like 1 gram of sugar, in a context of lots of protein and fat.
  • NorthWoodsMomma
    Options
    popbijoux wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    popbijoux wrote: »
    I can relate, OP. I think of myself as a sugar addict. I mean it truly, in the sense that I am one of these people who can't have a high carb diet because I will eat and eat and eat...candy and carby snacks all day...my dad developed diabetes late in life and I am basically headed that way if I don't change my eating habits. I am about 25lb overweight now having lost about 10lb in the last month through a high fat, moderate protein and low sugar diet. I'm 36. You have to remember that white bread and potatoes and candy are all sugar in our digestive system.

I'd suggest that you look into a blood sugar-stabilizing diet, like some form of a vegetarian high fat diet...I am not vegetarian so it's easy for me to follow a high fat/medium protein diet...forget about calorie counting for now...that won't work.

From my experience, energy levels are all about stabilizing blood sugar and keeping the insulin levels low. I am not diabetic (yet!), but it has made total sense to me. I also think that if you happen to have had depression in the past (I have), you just HAVE to cut out sugar...I haven't felt this good in years. Sugar is all about mood swings.

I have a maximum of 50 g of carbs (aka "sugars") a day and that is the equivalent of three slices of whole wheat fiber bread. I tend to "spend" my carbs on greek yogurt in the morning (with chia seeds and almonds) and a slice of bread here and there. The rest is veggies and residual carbs from cheeses (which are now a big part of my diet). I also have coconut milk and chia pudding with stevia in the fridge at all times (and excellent "sweet" and high fat snack).

Good luck!

You absolutely do not "have" to cut out sugar. Nope.

And how will calorie counting not work? And why are you suggesting the OP adopt a vegetarian diet??

The OP said she is vegetarian.She does not eat meat.

Well I am speaking from experience here as a sugar addict. I am not the type of person who can lose weight only cutting calories. I have lost a lot more weight by counting carbs instead of counting calories. I can't have sugar "in moderation" meaning it can't be part of my diet. I go up and now with the sugar moods if I make it part of my diet. I can have it once in a while at a party or some other exceptional occasion. But I have found that I am better off cutting it off completely if I can to follow the "keto"/atkins-style model. I have done the calorie diets and also weight watchers...it just doesn't work as well for me. The weight loss if I have a "normal" carb diet is very slow and I end up just eating a few more chips or popcorn bags than I intended. PS: I do 50 mins of hardcore spinning 6 days a week.
    This post makes the most sense to me! My dad just recently developed diabetes (he's 72) and I have also suffered from depression in the past. I truly believe it was due to my diet, too much sugar and bad carbs. Once I get started on the sweets, I keep going, so for me it's best to just cut out the added sugars entirely and also the "whites" (bread, potatoes, crackers, etc.).
  • thatpowergengirl
    thatpowergengirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you've added more calories--that was going to be my suggestion for the energy problem. I also wouldn't worry about naturally occurring sugars (like what's in plan Greek yogurt); just focus on getting rid of the added sugars and artificial sweeteners (if you use them). It does get easier, I swear! :smile: