Pant Size?

Options
jennifer_417
jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
I'm 5' 6.5" and weighed in at 161.8 lbs yesterday, which puts me at just under 12 lbs overweight for my height. However, I'm just now getting into size 12 pants. Seems like I should be a smaller size by now, or are my expectations unrealistic?
What's your height/weight/pant size?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    pant size has a lot to do with brand, style and your body shape.

When I was 160lbs I wore a size 6 or 8/9...at 150 I wear a 4 or a 6...depends on the cut, style and brand.

Anne Klein...4s, Silver 6 (to be comfortable), AE 4's...

Are you doing resistance training? exercise? or just using a calorie deficit.

ETA: I am an hourglass shape as well with 38in hips...mostly bum
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" 127 lb and wear a size 4 in most legitimate brands. I do a lot of strength training and my body type is an hourglass shape.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Pants size vary from brand to brand. I can't order jeans online unless I am already familiar with the brand because each varies so much. I have levis that are size 4, but I have some from target that are size 8. So because each brand sizes so differently, it's really hard to judge by pants size.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    5'4.5"
    about 139 lbs currently
    6-10 depending on brand and cut
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    pant size has a lot to do with brand, style and your body shape.

When I was 160lbs I wore a size 6 or 8/9...at 150 I wear a 4 or a 6...depends on the cut, style and brand.

Anne Klein...4s, Silver 6 (to be comfortable), AE 4's...

Are you doing resistance training? exercise? or just using a calorie deficit.

ETA: I am an hourglass shape as well with 38in hips...mostly bum

I was doing c25k and Stronglifts until I couldn't afford my gym membership, about 6 weeks ago. It'll be another 3 weeks or so until I can reup.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", 175 lbs and I wear a size 12. I carry a good amount of weight in my butt, hips and thighs. My current size 12 jeans are loose in the waist. I can fit into a size 10 pair of jeans I have, but it's not flattering. I figure with another 10 lbs lost I should be able to fit into the size 10 with ease. My problem with getting into smaller pants has always been my hips.
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am 150 and wear a size 12. Pear shaped.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm 5 7 and I can fit in a 6 and/or 8. It all depends where you get your clothing from!

Btw I weight 135 pounds.
  • NotMcBeal
    NotMcBeal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    5'11, 170 lbs. Lean in the waist, but thick in the hips and thighs. Like everyone is saying, it depends so much on the brand. I usually wear a size 8 or 10. With some silly brands I wear a 6!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 6.5" and weighed in at 161.8 lbs yesterday, which puts me at just under 12 lbs overweight for my height. However, I'm just now getting into size 12 pants. Seems like I should be a smaller size by now, or are my expectations unrealistic?
    What's your height/weight/pant size?

We have almost identical stats; same height, I'm two pounds heavier, and I wear 10/12's in most brands. Squeeze into the occasional 8.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It depends on how your weight is distributed. You can't compare to other people.

I am 5'10" and 166 pounds (the high end of a healthy BMI) and a size 6 in most pants, skirts, etc. If I shop at stores with the most out of control vanity sizing...Old Navy's sizes bear no relation to reality LOL! ... I am a size 4 and can even squeeze into a 2 (though they look obviously too tight).

However, I am still a large in most shirts (though some mediums now fit) and a 12 in suit jackets because most of my remaining extra weight is in my upper body and I have broad shoulders and a large chest.
  • loiscoles
    loiscoles Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I weight 145 and my jeans are a UK 12 (US 8), and on the top I fit a UK10 (US 6). I haven't lost much in clothes size as I've lost weight. My jeans were all UK 12-14 even when I was 160lbs
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" 138 pounds and I wear a 2-4 usually. However I carry most of my weight in my stomach area.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    5ft, 124lbs, size 2. When I was 112lbs (reasonable for my height) I wore a size 12 in children's. The last time I had worn that I was in 3rd grade! I carry very little weight in my waist and I think that's why - despite having larger hips/butt/thighs - I wear smaller sizes than most other people my height/weight.
  • bambione
    bambione Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.5 and weigh 191. I take a size 16. I have my weight around the middle and my hips and thighs are slender. So I mostly wear elastic waist pants in a size large. I love all the really stretchy fabrics that are really forgiving.
  • MrsBrown104
    MrsBrown104 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Dont focus on the clothing size. Brands differ on sizing so much.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Similar stats here. 5'8", 159 pounds. I wear a 10 comfortably, but have a few size 8s that fit alright too. My hips are the biggest part of me.
  • AnotherPuppet
    AnotherPuppet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I was 200 I was a solid 16. But now that I'm 161.4 I wear 12's. We're in the same boat and that's awesome. :)
  • jennifer_417
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm glad I posted this thread. Thanks for the responses, I feel better now!
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you can get simple be where you are their sizes are great. F&F are normally smaller, wear uk size 14 most times. Oasis I'm wearing uk 14 but it getting lose on me. South can wear size 12. Primark now that's depending once I had to buy a size 16 even though I was UK size 12. My mum is a tailor and told me once that sizes are not really regulated as much as they should. One day when I was a lot younger I went home crying because a size 12 wouldn't fit me and I felt really fat. It was then my mum explained everything to me. That was over 15 years ago but still the sizes can vary.