I must be a special snowflake...

Options
I lose 1-2 lbs during TOM. Every time. Then, if I maintain my deficit, I stay there and don't see a scale change until the next month. Rinse and repeat.

Most other women I've seen on MFP have bloating and whatnot during TOM. Anyone else have weightloss?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Since I've been working out consistently (5 days a week, 45-75 mins) for the past 2 months I've noticed that I didn't have a ton of bloat and this last TOM (which was last week) I was actually down 1.5 pounds! I've attributed it to working out consistently, drinking more water and not eating a ton of junk food like I usually do at that time of the month.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    TMI
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I would stick and then drop in synch with my hormonal fluctuations
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's my usual pattern -- down the week of and the week after, up the other two weeks. When I was losing it meant better weight loss that week, now that I'm maintaining it's just fluctuation as stated. I always tell women that they have to get to know their pattern, but it might not be what they expect.
  • Uselessly_Irrelevant
    Uselessly_Irrelevant Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Most other women I've seen on MFP have bloating and whatnot during TOM. Anyone else have weightloss?
    I get some minor weightloss too, definitely not the bloating and weight gain most women get. Usually I'll just have a stable weight and then a few weeks later the number will start creeping down again. Some of us are just lucky I suppose ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I never really tracked it to be honest...my TOM is so irregular due to my BC that it was never on my mind.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I definitely get fluid retention (though I think I've seen improvement with taking magnesium supplements and using epsom salts in my baths), but sometimes it's 'masked' by weight loss, so my scale weight might stay around the same. I pretty much drop a kilo the day my period starts, like throughout that day. Also get mass fluid retention with ovulation, and at one point was doing that only dropping weight every two weeks thing.

Even though I weigh every day I've only been recording it once a week. Just started keeping a log of daily weights yesterday so it will be interesting to analyse those fluctuations in more detail!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    TMI

Discussing a normal biological function is TMI? I'm so sorry our period talk made you squeamish.

crimsonwave.png
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    When I first started here the scale wouldn't move during my TOM, but now I seem to lose regardless.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    FYI ladies, when you get older, and TOM doesn't ACTUALLY visit....the idea of the visit lingers. So I get the bloating, the weightgain, the emotional spikes, the chocolate cravings.....but no actual TOM. Bummer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Well, thanks for bumming me out! ;-)
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Last month I didn't gain at all nor did I lose. I'm not sure if it was the fact I was taking the magnesium, calcium, zinc combo and also drinking a lot of water. A few days after my period ended I lost 4 lbs in 2 days. I have to be VERY diligent with sodium intake otherwise I can easily gain 3-7 lbs from water retention. I also don't really lose much the week leading up to TOM. If I do my weight tends to bounce around.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    raises hand...yeps lose weight too. And due to the fact that i dont use salt at all i have hardly fluctuations...luckely
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    TMI

Nah, knowing that you aren't adult enough to handle discussions of periods or to nope on out of a thread that doesn't concern you is more information than needed. Jog on buddy.

And OP, I don't lose anything for a week before my period, even before I start seeing bloat. No weight loss until the last day of my period.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have 3 sons I have explained to them during their high school years to be sympathetic to ladies when they seem to be about to yell and bite your head off. "Yep son, give them a piece of your chocolate bar, and don't say alot, just let them vent".
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    I have 3 sons I have explained to them during their high school years to be sympathetic to ladies when they seem to be about to yell and bite your head off. "Yep son, give them a piece of your chocolate bar, and don't say alot, just let them vent".

the piece of chocolate would have solved all troubles/shouting/world disasters straight away hehehe

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I also have a tendency to weigh lower during TOM. I retain like crazy the week before, though.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    FYI ladies, when you get older, and TOM doesn't ACTUALLY visit....the idea of the visit lingers. So I get the bloating, the weightgain, the emotional spikes, the chocolate cravings.....but no actual TOM. Bummer.

That stops too. I had, in the past year (about 6 months ago), a two month protracted period of breast tenderness and bloat that led to ... nothing.

Officially menopausal today. One year without TOM.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    I have a big drop a week after my period starts. I keep expecting the drop to happen sooner, but it's consistently later than I would have thought.