Macro Ratio for Female Mesomorph

Options
hi everyone, looking for some advice! What breakdown would you recommend for my macros, (I know how many calories I need daily) my body shape is mesomorph and my aim is to build lean muscle limiting the amount of fat I gain. I weight train 4 times per week incorporating full body/compound movements, run 5km 1-2 times per week and do an 8 min Tabata Cardio workout twice! Thanks

Replies

• crrh1984
    crrh1984 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey if you Google "calculating macros" on YouTube one of the first videos takes you through how to calculate. A bit of maths but it helps you understand what you're eating
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Here is a guide from precision nutrition that might help. It goes by portion sizes, but you should be able to reverse engineer it back to an approximate ratio by inputting the sample meals into MFP

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-body-type-eating

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    hi everyone, looking for some advice! What breakdown would you recommend for my macros, (I know how many calories I need daily) my body shape is mesomorph and my aim is to build lean muscle limiting the amount of fat I gain. I weight train 4 times per week incorporating full body/compound movements, run 5km 1-2 times per week and do an 8 min Tabata Cardio workout twice! Thanks

Ballparking it:

If I were you I'd set protein in the neighborhood of .8g/lb bodyweight and I'd set fat intake anywhere in the 20 to 30% of total calorie range, and dump the rest in carbs. Toggle carb/fat ratio to personal preference/diet adherence/performance and also to get total calories appropriate for your goals.
  • Hannah220190
    Hannah220190 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, got my macros calculated and feeling confident with my splits! The more carbs the better I feel & perform!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    ^What MrM27 said

It seems you have moderate to high activity level. What is your age, weight, and height Hannah?

What are your macros currently set at, in grams?
  • Hannah220190
    Hannah220190 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    ^What MrM27 said

It seems you have moderate to high activity level. What is your age, weight, and height Hannah?

What are your macros currently set at, in grams?

285g carbs
    115g protein
    75g fats

25 yrs, 5ft6, 58kg
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You seem to be quite thin as it is.

99 g protein is plenty for you (0.80 g x total bodyweight in lbs.)
    62 g dietary fat is safe and above the recommended minimum, but not by too much (0.50 g x total bodyweight in lbs.)

Carbs, hopefully nutritious & high fiber can fill in the rest of your calories (or you can eat more protein or dietary fat).

Based on your stats:

If Sedentary, little or no exercise, desk job, then your TDEE is about 1589 calories per day.

If Lightly Active, light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week, then your TDEE is about 1821 calories per day.

If Moderately Active, moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week, then your TDEE is about 2053 calories per day.

If Very Active, hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week, then your TDEE is about 2285 calories per day.

If Extra Active, very hard exercise/sports and physical job, then your TDEE is about 2517 calories per day.

TDEE is basically maintenance calories; what you would need to consume each day to stay roughly the same weight.

If cutting, subtract a safe 10-20% from your TDEE. If bulking, add 10-20% to your TDEE.

You will know it's working when the scale starts budging. If not, then you are counting your calories wrong or overestimating your activity level.